Screw the Galaxy Gear, I'm going Sony Smart Watch 2

Beantown Bashers

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I do not wear watches, but if I did I would get the Sony Smart Watch 2 also......I like the clean look and the fact that it is waterproof (resistant).

zach_alt

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
The first one was so bad. Like unbelievably bad. Hopefully this one is MUCH improved.

Posted via Android Central App

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Was sold 100% on the Galaxy Gear, then I read all the reviews and still said screw it I am going to buy it. Now seeing the Sony SmartWatch 2, it makes me say screw the Gear and get that as it literally does everything, and is waterproof and is ALWAYS ON....... and ..... 100.00 cheaper

SmartWatch 2 SW2 | Phone Remote - Sony Smartphones (Global UK English)

Hands on: Sony Smartwatch 2 review | Gadgets Reviews | TechRadar

Smartwatch Showdown: Samsung Galaxy Gear vs Sony SmartWatch 2 vs Qualcomm Toq

rishman1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Was sold 100% on the Galaxy Gear, then I read all the reviews and still said screw it I am going to buy it. Now seeing the Sony SmartWatch 2, it makes me say screw the Gear and get that as it literally does everything, and is waterproof and is ALWAYS ON....... and ..... 100.00 cheaper

SmartWatch 2 SW2 | Phone Remote - Sony Smartphones (Global UK English)

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but there's many things the Sony SmartWatch 2 apparently can't do that the Galaxy Gear can, according to this article. No voice control, can't make phone calls or talk on the phone, no camera, not as good of a display,...

Samsung Galaxy Gear vs. Sony Smartwatch 2

I for one can't wait to get my Note 3 and Galaxy Gear!!

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're looking at, but there's many things the Sony SmartWatch 2 apparently can't do that the Galaxy Gear can, according to this article. No voice control, can't make phone calls or talk on the phone, no camera, not as good of a display,...

Id say the two biggest problems....
Water proofing (out of all your electronic devices.... this is a main one that should be waterproof from rain, washing your hands, or showering)
and battery life.... 24 hours of battery life????? no thank you. Im not about to be charging both my phone and watch every night.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site

Sorry, I am talking about useful features compared to random **** slapped on or in it to make it stand out. To not have your watch be waterproof, not always on, and not last 24 hours seems a little crazy to me. I live in washington state, it rains 9 months out of the year here... I cant be hiding my watch from the rain.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I am talking about useful features compared to random **** slapped on or in it to make it stand out. To not have your watch be waterproof, not always on, and not last 24 hours seems a little crazy to me. I live in washington state, it rains 9 months out of the year here... I cant be hiding my watch from the rain.

But the features that Rishman1 listed are what make the Galaxy Gear a smartwatch; it sounds like you want more of an advanced sportswatch. I'm not knocking your preferences, but Rishman's preferences are valid, too.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
But the features that Rishman1 listed are what make the Galaxy Gear a smartwatch; it sounds like you want more of an advanced sportswatch. I'm not knocking your preferences, but Rishman's preferences are valid, too.

Your right, idk, I want a watch that allows me to interact with my phone but mainly notifications, i don't really care about calling or texting from it... though... cool. lol.

rishman1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

It is water resistant; see quote below from the article I posted earlier. It's not waterproof, i.e. you can't go swimming with it on, but you can have it on in rain. And I'm not sure what you mean by "always on" but in a demo video I saw on Youtube, the screen automatically turns on when you move your arm to the position you would have it when looking at your watch, through use of its gyroscope.

"Sony's water resistance is much better though, as you can go swimming in your Smartwatch 2. The Galaxy Gear is limited to some rain and maybe a shower."

rishman1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Id say the two biggest problems....
Water proofing (out of all your electronic devices.... this is a main one that should be waterproof from rain, washing your hands, or showering)
and battery life.... 24 hours of battery life????? no thank you. Im not about to be charging both my phone and watch every night.

See my response to Sooks about it being water resistant (it is to all the things you mention). The battery thing, true, but I still think it'll be totally worth it. I'm not a Samsung rep, I promise, haha. But from all the demo videos and articles I've seen, I'm super excited about this, and I think for me personally it will be very useful.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a sony smartwatch the original. It looks dumb but I like it. Do yourself a favor and download augmented smartwatch as soon as you get it and just use that for all the notifications and settings. It's easier than having a bunch of mini apps for each thing and it has more functionality.

MLdroidN4

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I, too am excited for the Gear to be available for purchase. Although it would have been nicer if they would've offered a non-camera option, minus the hump and a bit cheaper.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
ok ok ok I know I said screw the Galaxy Gear, but I played with it again last night for about 20 minutes and couldn't put it down (mainly because it was attached to my wrist) but also because it just worked freaking awesome... Not sure why the reviews are so crappy; but man it was great.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I was all excited for GG, but not that the reviews turned me off completely, but the overall value, quality, 1st gen nature of it and just not sure its what I want. For $170-200 a SW2 from SONY (metal bracelet for $200) is a better option initially to play with.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a sony smartwatch the original. It looks dumb but I like it. Do yourself a favor and download augmented smartwatch as soon as you get it and just use that for all the notifications and settings. It's easier than having a bunch of mini apps for each thing and it has more functionality.

I just checked out the Augmented SMARTwatch app and its pretty cool and worth the money. I added it to my wish list and will be looking for SONY SW2.

mars2304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I researched a whole lot of smart watches on the market. Most reliable ones are the big names (galaxy gear, sony smart 2, & pebble). I have a steller phone already so want looking for a stand alone sim card drvice on my wrist. Wanted an extension of my phone. I kept my expectations real and am very happy with the galaxy hear I have now had for a month. Water resistance wasn't a big issue for me (I already wear classic design non spot watches so I'm use to it). The Gear is great for answering and making calls when driving.. Our even for glancing at ur wrist when u have a call coming in to decide if u care to pull out your phone to answer or not.. The same goes for text messages. Also great for sending text messages with ur voice. The placement of the camera lens in the strap is great. Very useful when u want a quick pic for reference (like in a store).. pics and vids instantly are stored both on the gear and ur phone. The same goes for setting reminders, alarms, and making voice notes that auto transcribe and store on both devices as audio and text. I also like that out doesn't look like a big gagdget on ur wrist. I have hada number of compliments on my watch even before people realize what it is. The docking cradle is small and looks nice. Will plug into any micro usb so I don't have to carry around a custom transformer and cable over night like might have to With other watches.. & it keeps the Gear for having to be made bulky for a regular charger. I admit that the Galaxy Gear has some limitations.. But in design and functionaly it far surpasses the other big name smart watches on the market. I have seen other people root and hack the Gear to run full Andtoid apps and have full Internet access (As for myself I don't feel the need for that). All in all.. as of the time of this writing I'd recomend the Galaxy Gear over any other current smart watch.. but yo each his own.

mars2304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I researched a whole lot of smart watches on the market. Most reliable ones are the big names (Galaxy Gear, Sony smart 2, & Pebble). I have a stellar phone already so want looking for a stand alone sim card device on my wrist. Wanted an extension of my phone. I kept my expectations real and am very happy with the galaxy hear I have now had for a month. Water resistance wasn't a big issue for me (I already wear classic design non spot watches so I'm use to it). The Gear is great for answering and making calls when driving.. Our even for glancing at ur wrist when u have a call coming in to decide if u care to pull out your phone to answer or not.. The same goes for text messages. Also great for sending text messages with ur voice. The placement of the camera lens in the strap is great. Very useful when u want a quick pic for reference (like in a store).. pics and vids instantly are stored both on the gear and ur phone. The same goes for setting reminders, alarms, and making voice notes that auto transcribe and store on both devices as audio and text. I also like that out doesn't look like a big gagdget on ur wrist. I have hada number of compliments on my watch even before people realize what it is. The docking cradle is small and looks nice. Will plug into any micro usb so I don't have to carry around a custom transformer and cable over night like might have to With other watches.. & it keeps the Gear for having to be made bulky for a regular charger. I admit that the Galaxy Gear has some limitations.. But in design and functionaly it far surpasses the other big name smart watches on the market. I have seen other people root and hack the Gear to run full Andtoid apps and have full Internet access (As for myself I don't feel the need for that). All in all.. as of the time of this writing I'd recomend the Galaxy Gear over any other current smart watch.. but yo each his own