Note 3: Adding words to personal dictionary

PedroD47

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to add a word to your personal dictionary on Note 3?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesish

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Personal dictionary.

Well what you could do is this. Go to any app that has text input. Then Type a word and then Click that arrow above the keys. It'll add that word and recognize it next time. Only drawback being I don't know how to remove that word. LOL.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk now Free

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

To remove it, when it appears in the suggested words area you long press it and it will ask you if you'd like to remove it...

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

howdidoo

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Well what you could do is this. Go to any app that has text input. Then Type a word and then Click that arrow above the keys. It'll add that word and recognize it next time. Only drawback being I don't know how to remove that word. LOL.

What are you asking to Click? Cant see it, doesnt work for me.

eshteyn

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

On the Keyboard press and hold the microphone button until a menu appears. Then select the settings icon "gear cog". This will open the keyboard menu. Select predictive text by clicking the text not toggling the switch. Then click "clear personal data", confirm the deletion and that deletes the whole personal dictionary.

The menu can also be reached through settings-->language and input-->samsung keyboard-->predictive text-->clear personal data

Hope this helps :)

kasimpkins

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

That is not working for me. I have been clicking that little arrow for months and it still won't reognize my sons name?!

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Go to settings > controls > language and input > personal dictionary and you can add words there by hitting the + in the top right corner.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

That is not working for me. I have been clicking that little arrow for months and it still won't reognize my sons name?!

Same for me, it doesn't remember words, I've found I've had to use that arrow so that it would not change the word that it wants to change!

z06mike's advice/help does work though, I go there to add words to my dictionary.

mcbride731

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

I honestly just signed up with this site to tell you guys how I figured it out on my S4 running 4.4.2 haha. I was searching the same issue and came across this thread. It's definitely different from previous firmwares, but go to Settings>My Device>Language and Input>(Gear next to keyboard: mine says Samsung Keyboard obviously)>(Click Over Predictive Text(confusing since I thought the only option was On/Off))>(Check Box for "Personalized Data" and choose which apps you want it to retrieve data from)

I've never used a Note 3, but this should be similar except for the name of the keyboards we're using. Hope that helps!

rekzkarz

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
All those tips are sorta helpful,
BUT
"personal dictionary" is not on my Note 3.

I really like that Android is so configurable. I really don't like that Samsung (& other vendors incl Google) so freely add and remove access to important controls (like adding & subtracting things from the dictionary!!!) and there is no 'fix' for those seeking to gain access.

The only option I've found is to let Samsung KB scan all of my contacts / Twitter / Gmail / txt msgs to 'find words/phrases' to add to the dictionary.

Wow, I can't do it myself, but the company can filter all of my stuff (which I don't nec want to send to them) and filter it for me. No thank you!

Wondering if I need to root the phone to get to the dictionary files?!?!?

Convinced2

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I cant even find that on my phone. Personally its past irritating to have to enter and reenter my daughters name. I have no dictionary and have tried entering the words in other programs, still not working. :confused:

Mark Robn

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Long press to remove? --- That was a great tip. I am not very good with self phones or smarter-than-me phones, so that helped alot. thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Great tip! --- That helped a self-phone illiterate like me a lot. Thanks!

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I had to tap in the word and then space...type in the word again and hit arrow down in the word choice list...your word should be in there somewhere...tap on it and the next time you swipe it should be in word selection bar or just swipe in as a remembered word...I just tried and this works.

ArtieD

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Install and use the application called "User Dictionary Manager." It allows you to view and edit your user dictionary.

rleonard85

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
This was what i needed. My personalized data was checked but i also had to click on learn from messages below. Now it seems to be working fine. Prior to doing this it would only remember words for a day or so and then i couldn't use swype anymore to type them.

thanks.

Flo Heath

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know how to add a word to your personal dictionary on Note 3?

Go to settings then go to controls
Then click on language and input
Then click on the wheel by Samsung keyboard
the click on predictive text and check personalized data- submitted by Matthew Heath from wife's page