Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Does anyone else think the camera sucks?

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
One of the low light problems seems to be a white balance that just won't compensate. This exacerbates the other issues. That can presumably be addressed in software, if they can be bothered to do so. If they could address THAT, it would go a long way toward creating better low light images.

Coming from the Moto series of Droids, this camera hung the moon!

Still the point about pixel size can't be avoided. It's the same in the regular camera world. Pixel peepers seem to have won out. "Give me more!", they yell. Of course, when they get more on the same size sensor, they scream about the noise and low light performance. Well pardner, you got what you asked for - lots and lots of pixels. You gots more than your neighbor. You rock!

Posted via Android Central App

DrSavant

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Better software would help of course but it's mainly the hardware limitation.The sensor size and individual pixel size are simply too small.You can only do so much with software and don't hold your breath.I had the N1 which had awful black crush and hoped software updates would fix it but never happened.

Well, since all I want is performance equal to the Note 2, there shouldn't be hardware limitations, as the Note 3 has a higher end / newer sensor :)

I was always satisfied with the Note 2, having come to it from an iPhone 4S. If I can have the performance of a previous model on a brand new flagship, I think my desire is very modest :)

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You're glossing over the pixel packing issue. More doesn't always mean better, except for the marketing aspect.

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, since all I want is performance equal to the Note 2, there shouldn't be hardware limitations, as the Note 3 has a higher end / newer sensor :)

I was always satisfied with the Note 2, having come to it from an iPhone 4S. If I can have the performance of a previous model on a brand new flagship, I think my desire is very modest :)

Well the performance of the N3 is better than the N2 where there is plenty of light.It has higher resolution and takes sharper photos.This is at the expense of low light performance where the N2 wins out.

Consider the Nikon D3S and the D3X.Both are near identical DSLR cameras with the same size sensor.The D3S however has 12MP and the D3X has 24MP.They are both professional cameras for different purposes.The D3S is better in low light action photos due to having less pixels.Less pixels mean bigger pixels which capture more light.The D3X takes higher resolution photos for larger prints but is 3 f stops less sensitive than the D3S.Both have advantages and disadvantages.Think of the N3 as being the D3X and the N2 as the D3S.

I think the N3 takes great photos even in normal indoor lighting.I find the lighting needs to get really dim before photos deteriorate.There are ways to improve photos in very dim light.More exposure and slower shutter speed but then you get motion blur if you don't have rock steady hands or a moving subject.

DrSavant

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Where this really ends up for me, is that the N2 did a pretty good all around job for me. Now, with the N3, I will have to start lugging my DSLR around more often...

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Plus, you need to hold it stay until well into the "processing" mode to be on the safe side. It's a touch slower than some cameras in that regard. Sometimes you'll get a blurred image if you move the camera too quickly in lower light. This happened to me just this morning. As bad as the Moto cameras have been, they were almost instant in their image capture.

Takes a little getting used to.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
@Dr. Savant, you can blame it on the marketing geeks. "We need bigger pixel counts or the consumer won't see it as 'better' ". "OK, Harold, we'll get right on it. Twice as much it is".

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Plus, you need to hold it stay until well into the "processing" mode to be on the safe side. It's a touch slower than some cameras in that regard. Sometimes you'll get a blurred image if you move the camera too quickly in lower light. This happened to me just this morning. As bad as the Moto cameras have been, they were almost instant in their image capture.

Takes a little getting used to.

That is the problem when smart stabilization kicks in.Very slow and resolution is terrible.Really no longer 13MP and more like 2MP.Try the app ProCapture.I find it very good in low light.It is perhaps not as bright as SS but it is faster and resolution is better.Where SS takes a few shots and processes them,ProCapture takes one shot,goes up to 1600 ISO and appears to do a good job at noise reduction.Another popular app I have tried called camera zoom fx also goes up to 1600 ISO but photos are noiser than ProCapture.The stock app seems to max out at 1000 ISO.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I am posting two shots here and the next post. Even though they aren't set up the same, the lighting is the same. One is the stock app and the other is Pro Capture (the free edition which caps the resolution at about 3mp).

emuzu3yb.jpg

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Straight auto. It's possible that there's a smidge more ambient sunlight since the earlier picture was taken earlier this morning. Most of the lighting comes from an incandescent bulb from a table lamp about a foot to the right. The yellow cast on the pillow is what I was talking about in regard to problems with white balance.

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
What was the ISO of each photo?Under very dim lighting,ProCapture will go up to 1600 ISO.The stock app with SS turned off will only go to 1000 ISO.I find photos taken with ProCapture brighter due to the higher ISO but they did a good job reducing noise at such a high sensitivity.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
320 on the ProCapture. Can't tell with the stock app. Only has some sort of circle icon in the details area. I wouldn't call either a dim light situation. Resolution is higher with the stock app but that's because I haven't purchased the non-free ProCapture app.

xderiwx

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
320 on the ProCapture. Can't tell with the stock app. Only has some sort of circle icon in the details area. I wouldn't call either a dim light situation. Resolution is higher with the stock app but that's because I haven't purchased the non-free ProCapture app.

Are you liking this app more than stock?