Screen Lock - Can't get back to swipe

Iceberg86300

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why no one is using this super simple solution (it seems.) Earlier another user posted this solution as well that I thanked, and it does work. In lollipop on Nex 10 I couldn't go back to swipe or none, but this does work! Even though I already fixed my issue because of the earlier solution, just wanted to say thanks anyway. Maybe this solution is just too simple to follow because most of the replies are to the very complicated ways to do it. Weird..... But not as weird as Google making it a bit more complicated to do. I forsee a lot of uninformed carrier personel telling customers to reset their carrier branded devices that get 5.0 in the coming months (years), to bring back "none or swipe", then they probably won't use security anymore. Again, not sure why Google did this.
It's lack of knowledge of what credentials are/do combined with the fact that Google decided to put All in the menu and then repeat the All in the warning message.

Would be a whole lot simpler and less frightening if the option was "clear all user credentials" and the warning was "are you sure you want to clear all user credentials stored on the device and external storage."

I myself was extremely hesitant to use this tool due to the current language that lacks any differentiation between user/system credentials.
You were soooo right. I was hesitant as I didn't know what clearing "all" the credentials would do but I went for it and immediately after all my lockscreen options were not greyed out anymore. Suck's for VZ users though because my buddy's N3 from VZ is greyed out on that option. Big Thanks!
This is the exact fear that I'm talking about.
Thanks! I spent a while trying to figure that out? I guess now my only question is...what did I just do? My phone won't start acting up somewhere else now right?
No, your phone shouldn't act up at all, unless of course you needed said credentials either in an enterprise environment in a "bring your own device" or a company issued phone situation. One other case is one in which you yourself have decided to either encrypt data, send/receive encrypted emails, or digitally sign documents using the device or digitally sign emails. Everything in the last case applies to the first two, but instead of being required by a company you choose to use the features on your own. These circumstances are the primary reason that KNOX exists, regardless of whether or not it's a "watered down," a full blown, or an implementation in between.

In the case of a company issued phone you shouldn't be able to disable anything or mess with credentials and certificates which are basically the same thing. Think of this as the same thing as logging into your computer at work.

In the BYOD case it all depends on the company as to what and what not you can change, although changing anything should prevent access to the network, smoke any encrypted company data on the phone in which a cred/cert combined with your password is required to decrypt/encrypt data, and prevent the encryption/decryption/digital signing of emails.

I won't get into the personal use as it's generally very tough to get working correctly between mobile devices unless everyone involved is using the same phone, the same family of phones, or unless everyone involved is using the same email app (IE the default email app found on later galaxy devices BUT NOT the gmail app) or apps that are compatible w/each other security wise. Although you can digitally sign emails to your hearts content.

POST NOT COMPLETE. MORE INFO AND A LINK OR TWO COMING
Now how do you get the credentials back?
POST NOT COMPLETE. MORE INFO AND A LINK OR TWO COMING

princessmhia

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Can u please help me! I am usingLG G3 for the first time.. Under guest mode the none and swipe options are not working it says disabled by administration, and i cant set up a pin number code for this guest mode.. I dont know what to do help!

Iceberg86300

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This worked great! In just a few seconds! Do I need to be concerned about my phones security if I cleared the certificates though?
I need to delete my other post that's incomplete, too technical, even for me.

Anyway:

No, you shouldn't have a problem. The certificates you're clearing are for secure stuff that you may have installed and uninstalled, like VPN software, encryption keys for email, any app that wants a certificate.

Your phone comes preloaded with trust certificates, and most browser's either check these or have their own list. Pretty much every browser today will balk of it encounters a certificate it doesn't trust when using a secure connection. Same with email when you're setting it up. I have a website that includes E-mail but the website is part of a friends server so the certs have his name on it. When setting up E-mail on my phone it yelled at me because the cert didn't have my domain name so it thinks I'm trying to trick people. So I have to tell my E-mail app to trust the cert anyway.

Apps that want secure encrypted communication will install a certificate that allows this encryption. This is what you are clearing. If you have such a cert on your phone then anyone who has access to your phone can imitate you. This is why you need a password for your lock screen.

So if no app bugs out on you then you're fine.

Here are a couple screenshots of lollipop GS 5. First one shows trusted certificates, second shows what you see when you click on trusted certificates (these are all pre loaded). The user portion is what gets cleared.

I can't post links yet, so put a .com after cdn, and .jpg at the end

images.tapatalk-cdn/15/07/22/7fe043a0d28f1c564d17f90f09c33d9b

images.tapatalk-cdn/15/07/22/a9ccfc957a7957f0211f2c032ad410ac.jpg

Hope this helps.

charm_check

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: KNOX lock

please i have tried getting rid of knox from my device(samsung galaxy tab 3 lite) but all to no avail. how else can i unlock my tab without getting rid of my apps

Iceberg86300

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: KNOX lock

please i have tried getting rid of knox from my device(samsung galaxy tab 3 lite) but all to no avail. how else can i unlock my tab without getting rid of my apps
Have you tried clearing the credentials advice given in this thread?

I don't believe your device is actually KNOX capable.

In the about phone section it may list a KNOX version, but that's just hardware, doesn't mean you're actually using KNOX.