Why Textra vs stock messaging app?

browetally

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I keep seeing posts about textra but haven't seen anyone say why it's better or what problem it solves over the stock app. Coming from an iPhone the stock app is a major upgrade especially given all the attachment options.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I just switched from the iPhone to the note 3 and the stock messager is lots better than ios. I tried textra due to the recommendations on here and I don't see a major advantage other than it looks nicer to me. I however have been using the new hangouts app for my sms and I love it. Again no real advantage for me because I don't use google plus I just love the looks of it and the ease of adding people to my conversations.

Rockin my Note 3

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Tried textra just to see what all the "must have" was about and it only took 10 mins for me to uninstall. Oh well.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I have been using Textra for a while now.. well until last night that I reverted back to the stock because I like the feature of scheduling a message, but what I like about Textra is the fact that you can add emojis right from the app rather than going to an independent emoji app while stock doesn't.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I have been using Textra for a while now.. well until last night that I reverted back to the stock because I like the feature of scheduling a message, but what I like about Textra is the fact that you can add emojis right from the app rather than going to an independent emoji app while stock doesn't.

Stock messaging app on mine does emoji -

image.jpg
image.jpg

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nooooooooooooo........ the stock keyboard is the one with the emoji..... Textra already has those above integrated into the app.... I use Swype keyboard and swype has about 10 maybe of the ugly green ones.

Oh ok, so if I understand what you're saying is - you can add emoji with Textra irregardless of what keyboard you are using. Is that correct?

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes because it integrates with Swype very well besides it has more choices than the stock messenger. You would not know unless you have tried it.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Don't think I ever use any emojis,,, so this is not for me. These emojis most of the time come up on other people devices as the stupid little green Android ones... I sent emojis to 3 different people in the room with me and while they showed on my phone they did not show on theirs,, again the Android green type showed up .

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

fallenangel808

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Don't think I ever use any emojis,,, so this is not for me. These emojis most of the time come up on other people devices as the stupid little green Android ones... I sent emojis to 3 different people in the room with me and while they showed on my phone they did not show on theirs,, again the Android green type showed up

Same as me, a couple of friends told me they can't see my emojis. And to add w/ this if someone likes to use emojis the ones that textra and chomp sms (same company) uses are the same emojis you'll find on iPhones so iPhone users will be able to see. I personally went back to the stock messaging app because I like having the N3's features like multi screens since we can't use that feature w/ a 3rd party app and I don't use the emojis that much.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use ChompSMS.. Made by the textra people. I mainly use it for one reason... Quick reply. I can reply when I get a text and the phone is locked and also when I get a text and am in other apps.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Same as me, a couple of friends told me they can't see my emojis. And to add w/ this if someone likes to use emojis the ones that textra and chomp sms (same company) uses are the same emojis you'll find on iPhones so iPhone users will be able to see. I personally went back to the stock messaging app because I like having the N3's features like multi screens since we can't use that feature w/ a 3rd party app and I don't use the emojis that much.
Well there we go.......... the one I care about getting my emojis has an Iphone..... See ...there is always a reason for some one's choice.....

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I use ChompSMS.. Made by the textra people. I mainly use it for one reason... Quick reply. I can reply when I get a text and the phone is locked and also when I get a text and am in other apps.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
That's the only reason I use chomp

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Verizon Messages syncs over the net and I have it installed on my N7. Great for when I'm dinking around at home and don't want to pull the Note 3 off its dock. I also love the pop up box, even though it works kind of screwy with the lock screen. I definitely won't go back to the stock messaging though Verizon Messages' web interface stinks. I'd switch to another messaging app because of that.

I can see how some of Textra's customization features to personalize the look of messages for individual contacts would be nice. I'm not to interested in that functionality though. I'm fine w/picture & name at the top of the message.

john248

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I used to use Handcent but went back to stock myself. There isn't much of an advantage to these messaging apps anymore. All I want from it is to have a black background.

pcsperson

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The new Google hangouts seems better than textra for me. And add the same capabilities. Just nicer integration on Google Hangouts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The new Google hangouts seems better than textra for me. And add the same capabilities. Just nicer integration on Google Hangouts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Indeed it is but unless you get the APK for 4.4 you won't be able to send sms texts and even though google play is advertising version two, once you download it the version on the phone stil 1.... something....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress