Google Phone app and poor speakerphone performance

drkjhiggins

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
I recently bought a Motorola Edge+ 2023 with Android 13 and the speakerphone performance is horrible. My side is fine but whoever I'm talking to reports cut outs and a very electronic sounding voice from my end. I'm trying to resolve the issue through Motorola and I'm doing a bit of troubleshooting. I've noticed if I uninstall all updates to the stock Google Phone app (dropping it from version 120.* to 95.*) the situation gets much better (but not completely resolved.) I've also seen other posts that point to the noise canceling algorithm used as the source of the problem. I had a Motorola One 5G Ace with Android 10 and the speakerphone was great. I'm looking at alternatives to the Google Phone app so I can continue my troubleshooting but the two I've tried still exhibit the issue. Do alternative phone apps still use the underlying Google Phone app software or do some replace it entirely? It seems most are just updated UIs for dialing and contact management. Thanks!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Has it been like that since you bought it? Is it still under warranty? If so, I'd either send it back for refund or send it back for warranty repair.

Reactions: mustang7757

drkjhiggins

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for your replies! I've only had it a few weeks but it's been that way since the first time I tried using speakerphone. I tried it in safe mode but it was no better. I will look in to returning it but a number of other users with the same phone have reported the same issue and I have yet to see a resolution.

I looked again at my One 5G Ace (with Android 11, not 10 as previously stated) and it has the same version (120.*) of the Google Phone app as my Edge+ 2023 and I had no problems using the speakerphone on it. I also noticed there is a different default phone app and the Google Phone app is actually uninstallable, which it isn't in Android 13, and you can choose which app is used as the phone app on the phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your replies! I've only had it a few weeks but it's been that way since the first time I tried using speakerphone. I tried it in safe mode but it was no better. I will look in to returning it but a number of other users with the same phone have reported the same issue and I have yet to see a resolution.

I looked again at my One 5G Ace (with Android 11, not 10 as previously stated) and it has the same version (120.*) of the Google Phone app as my Edge+ 2023 and I had no problems using the speakerphone on it. I also noticed there is a different default phone app and the Google Phone app is actually uninstallable, which it isn't in Android 13, and you can choose which app is used as the phone app on the phone.
You can return it since you just got it but would report this to Google

drkjhiggins

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
I'd rather not return it and I don't think a new phone of the same model will fix the issue. There are many reports of issues with using the speakerphone functionality on this particular model. I have provided feedback on the phone and I am in contact with Motorola support but I was hoping to do a bit more troubleshooting myself while they are sorting through the problem.

When you mention AA, do you mean Android Auto? This phone actually works well with Android Auto the times I have tried using it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'd rather not return it and I don't think a new phone of the same model will fix the issue. There are many reports of issues with using the speakerphone functionality on this particular model. I have provided feedback on the phone and I am in contact with Motorola support but I was hoping to do a bit more troubleshooting myself while they are sorting through the problem.

When you mention AA, do you mean Android Auto? This phone actually works well with Android Auto the times I have tried using it.
Yeah AA (Android Auto)

drkjhiggins

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
As I mentioned Android Auto is fine with this phone. The issue seems to be the voice capture and noise cancellation technology used for the speakerphone function. It records my voice perfectly when I use the default Recorder app so it doesn't seem to be the microphones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As I mentioned Android Auto is fine with this phone. The issue seems to be the voice capture and noise cancellation technology used for the speakerphone function. It records my voice perfectly when I use the default Recorder app so it doesn't seem to be the microphones.
Sorry I might've mixed your post with another for AA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana