Galaxy Note 3 not working in USB 3.0 Ports

Gaba517

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I bought a new Galaxy Note 3, it works like a charm in any USB 2.0 Port but when I want to use an USB 3.0 ports, it just charges.
It doesn't shows anything in the notification panel, I can't choose to use it as a media device anyhow.It just won't get detected, in a 2.0 port it works fine.
I saw that you have to select 3.0 in the USB options, but since mine doesn't shows up, what is going on and how can I solve it???
Thank you.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
What operating system are you using? If you're on a Windows based machine, you can try right clicking on "Computer" then "Manage" and then clicking on "Disk Management" to see what appears for your Note 3, or if it appears. Sometimes Windows likes to identify a specific USB device with a specific USB port. Also, check your Device Manager to see if the Note 3 appears in that list with an exclamation mark. If it does, just right click and remove the item, then remove and re-install the device to a USB 3.0 port.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
What operating system are you using? If you're on a Windows based machine, you can try right clicking on "Computer" then "Manage" and then clicking on "Disk Management" to see what appears for your Note 3, or if it appears. Sometimes Windows likes to identify a specific USB device with a specific USB port. Also, check your Device Manager to see if the Note 3 appears in that list with an exclamation mark. If it does, just right click and remove the item, then remove and re-install the device to a USB 3.0 port.

This ^

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes mine won't show up when I get a new phone. I do a lot of flashing etc so I could def see it being a driver issue

Posted via Android Central App

jirages

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, if you are using windows 8.1 - 64 bit, the operating system has some driver issues with USB 3.0. If your operating system is not 8.1, connect to usb 3.0, and swipe down the screen. you will see in notifications the line (connected to USB). click on it, and you could choose either USB 2.0 mtp, USB as a camera, or USB 3.0

toomanybarts

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
NOT solved. Same issue as Gabba517, have mid 2012 MacBook Air, connected an AT&T Galaxy Note 3 using Samsung USB 3 cable but no USB3 option on the "USB computer Connection" notification pull down menu, just Media Device (MTP) and Camera (PTP) options.
Have tried rebooting MBA and restarting Note 3. No joy.
Anyone got this working?

lenson86

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
My initial problem was USB 3.0 port charges my phone BUT will not recognize in PC. Not even giving signs in device manager saying that something is wrong.

So what I did was firstly, update the phone firmware. It keeps bugging out on my when I update using the phone but when I update using Kies 3.0 as suggested in the error page, it worked like a charm. You just need to connect using USB 2.0 to get the job done. After update, you will see the USB 3.0 option when do the notification pull down.

At this point, 3 options available via Notification pull down. MTP (usb 2.0), camera, USB 3.0 BUT as soon as you choose USB 3.0 while plugged into a USB 3.0 port, everything gets disconnected and back to charging-only mode.

Now, all you gotta do is enable the debugging mode and walla, everything works now. I used this link for how to enable debugging. (How to enable USB debugging on Android Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on tarunmittal5477272's Blog - Buzznet)

TLDR;
1.update firmware, do it on KIES 3.0 (download from official samsung website) if updating directly on phone does not work (settings > general tab > about device > software update).
2.enable developer option and then enable USB debugging. (settings > general tab > about device > tap the grey-ed out "build number" 7 times > go back to general tab > developer option > enable USB debugging)

Have fun! and happy new year

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
NOT solved. Same issue as Gabba517, have mid 2012 MacBook Air, connected an AT&T Galaxy Note 3 using Samsung USB 3 cable but no USB3 option on the "USB computer Connection" notification pull down menu, just Media Device (MTP) and Camera (PTP) options.
Anyone got this working?

I'm late the show, sorry. Macs won't recognise your phone without a small helper program. It's a quick download and you only need to run it once, thereafter it will automatically open a window to your phone's contents. I'm away from home at the moment and I can't remember what the program's called. Google is your friend.

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm late the show, sorry. Macs won't recognise your phone without a small helper program. It's a quick download and you only need to run it once, thereafter it will automatically open a window to your phone's contents. I'm away from home at the moment and I can't remember what the program's called. Google is your friend.

Yep. If you have a Mac, download android file transfer. It works great on my Mac. I usually plug in the USB 3.0 cable first, then hook my phone up to it and android file transfer will open. The transfer speed of USB 3.0 is amazing!! You can get the download for android file transfer at www.android.com/filetransfer/.

androiduser567

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar issue, a Samsung Galaxy Mini which connects well to my USB 2.0 ports on all of my older computers, but is very unstable with the USB 3.0 ports on my new Windows 8.1 Dell laptop.

After spending too many hours on this (I really needed my phone to connect), I stumbled across a quick and easy temporary fix for this which now works well for me consistently. Hopefully this can save some time for anyone else struggling with this issue.

Instead of trying to go through all of the USB 3.0 - USB 2.0 software reconfigurations (my compliments to those who figured these out), I did a hardware reconfiguration. I just plugged in a USB 2.0 port expander dongle (available in many stores for about $5-10) into the USB 3.0 socket on my computer, and then plugged in the USB cable from my Samsung Galaxy mini into it. This in effect temporarily converted my USB 3.0 port into a USB 2.0 port.

It has worked perfectly, every time. When I need to convert the port back to USB 3.0, I just unplug the port expander.

This is a "bug" which needs to be repaired and corrected by Samsung and Microsoft. At least the phone will connect until the software/firmware fixes are available.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone got this working?
Some of the MacBooks in that generation do not have USB 3.0 ports...are you sure yours does?

Tim VeePee

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
The problem is not Windows 8.1, the problem is the supplied Samsung cable (at least in my case).
I have an HP Envy which has 4 USB 3.0 ports with one having an enhanced benefit of being faster. Thought I haven't figured out which one is. Howevere, when I use the supplied Samsung cable that came with the Note 3, I am unable to get the use of 3.0 transfer speeds at all. I am unable to pick the 3.0 option as it is greyed out.

I so happen to have a external HDD which also has a 3.0 cable and I used it. Bingo it works in every single port and I am able to pick USB 3.0 on the device every single time. As soon as I go back and try to use the Samsung cable again, it fails.

Now my laptop came with Windows 8. I think the cable worked once and never again. Windows 8.1 uses the exact USB 3.0 drivers from Intel providing you have the Intel USB 3.0 ports.
You need to check your laptop model. Not all laptops or desktops with 3.0 ports are Intel ones. My Envy I had 2 years ago had a single 3.0 port, but it was not from Intel as Intel had not released it yet. HP used a 3rd party for the port.

I have decided to go online and purchase a USB 3.0 cable that sint Samsung randed because even a new Samsung cable still doesn't work.

Boon Kect Lim

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

I found the solution.

Control Panel==>Device Manager==>Select View==> Show Hidden Device

Scroll down to find Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Delete all those grey item for MassStorage.

Unplug your phone and reconnect

You should able to see your phone is detect with USB, can directly drag whatever file to your phone now (^.')

Enjoy your day

nambinhvu

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same issue, it used to work fine, then all of a sudden just randomly stopped working. I thought I damaged the connector of my phone somehow, but it seems the software just got confused. In order to fix it, or at least what worked for me, plug it into a USB 2.0 port, then switch it from media device to camera device, you can do this by swiping down the top of the screen then tapping the USB connection type, just switch it back and forth, after that, try plugging it into the USB 3.0 port, it should hopefully work this time.

If you aren't sure how to do what I mentioned, feel free to ask me for more detailed instructions.

ST Ho

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the same apparent problem. I was sure I was able to connect my new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to my home Windows7 computer with Kies installed. Then sometime later I noted that when I connected it up again, nothing happened. Yet I was able to connect the same device to my office Windows7 computer without Kies installed. The problem resolved when I used back the device own USB cable !!!

Last edited:

Juunas

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I have a windows 7 64 bit computer. When I connect my phone in MTP mode it works without any problems. Then when I change it to USB 3.0 my note dissappears from the devices list, but Kies keeps saying "connecting...". So basically it understands that my note is connected but won't connect it properly. Ane ideas what to do?

James McCloy

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
You have other choices to connect your Note 3 with a computer or tablet. Airdroid and Web PC Suite are good alternatives to replace USB cable.Connect the two devices by scanning a QR code, then you can transfer files between them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty