Camera Photos Disappearing Galaxy Note 3 HELP!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Now this is really weird but I have noticed that my all my camera photos and videos on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 that were saved in the default folder named "Camera" keep disappearing. I have the Android version 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and I tried everything to retrieve them such as looking in the DCIM folder, connecting my phone to my computer and browsing, search using My Files and even contacting Samsung support in live chat but have not had any luck.This has happened for two times now and every time it happens I noticed that the only pictures remain are the ones I took right before everything disappeared.

However, all my other pictures in other folders such as Bluetooth, Download, Instagram, Screenshots, What'sApp...etc. are still there. I'm storing the camera photos on the internal phone memory since I don't have SD card installed. I read somewhere that maybe this is caused by an App conflict or App syncing photos and delete them from the phone but I'm not sure which App this might be since I'm not using Facebook App. I also searched Dumpster to rule out the possibility that I might have mistakenly deleted them but nothing either.

I checked the free internal memory and it's 20GB so it's not full either. Please help I really don't know what to do*

My installed*apps*are:

AllShare Cast Dongle S/W Up
AnDosBox
BBM
Chrome
Dumpster
EverNote
Flipboard
Gmail
Google Play Services
Hangouts
Instagram
Kik
Maps
PhotoGrid
Shazam
SketchBook for Galaxy
Twitter
Viber
WhatsApp
WhoseHere
YouTube

Plus the regular Samsung default*apps.
Phone model number: N9005XXUDMJ7

Have a read of Mazendaher's recent post in "How to restore contacts".

I don't understand it but it mentioned recovering photos as well.
Possibly overwritten by now though.

Posted on my N9005 via Android Central App

Last edited:

Sram73

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Sunny, I will give that a try.

It definitely wasn't a low memory issue as I had only 50 or so photos.

I have the 4.3 version therefore that suggestion may work.

Cheers

Posted via Android Central App

piftoffpenguin

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
No, they are not in the gallery app. They don't appear in any app. Not even in file explorers....

I have a new Note 3. 4 days old. This is happening to me as well, but only for downloaded photos.

Ex: I download a bunch of FB photos of my nephews and they all show up fine and I can browse them in gallery and ES File explorer. Woke up this morning and all gone.... I'm no rookie to Android either. This is very odd....

Could this be related to lookout or that Knox bulls hit included as bloatware? It's really pissing me off. What if a girl sends me some titty pics?! I think I'd punch the sales rep if it deleted that too! (Since I won't be syncing that lol)

piftoffpenguin

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok so my issue is resolved. This is what was happening to me.

I hid a folder I wanted to be private in my gallery. When I did this it completely moved the folder to .nomedia on my so card. To find them do this:

Download ES File Explorer
Open settings then tools
Select show hidden items
Browse to .nomedia on the root of the sd card (default)
There you will see the hidden items

I keep some personal and financial images out of gallery so if someone checks out my phone or if I'm showing off pics, those images wont be accidentally seen.

Dunno if this helps but it's a good insight into how the Note 3 gallery operates. Good luck!

Rumlicelli

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been having this same exact issue on my Note 3! I have an 64gb SD and for some reason any photo's taken after 2/11/14 mysteriously and randomly disappear for no apparent reason. Thankfully I have instant back up turned on for google+ so all my pictures are there as well but it would still like to remedy this issue.

I did notice a couples times before this issue happened there was an icon of a thumbnail with a lightning bolt on it in place of the photo thumbnail, although when I would click this icon the full screen photo would load. I have a feeling this is related. :confused:

mohika

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Roguetrader. I'll get external SD and change camera settings to save photos there. I don't know what else to do? I'll see if the warranty covers this issue. Please if anybody have had this problem before do let me know since Samsung Support claims that no one has experienced this ever before.

I m facing the same problems on my note 2
What to do
Camera photos and videos are disappeared suddenly
Nd all the others photos are there...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shamikray

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I am facing the same issue on note 2.Suddenly I noticed that all the photos (except last 5 or 6 photos) have been disappeared from default camera folder in gallery.There were around 1200 + photos.But right now there is only 5 photos.This is frustrating.:mad:

ANKUR RAWAT

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Now, This is what has happened.

It is all because of of Google Sync. When you open google sync the only options that you see for sync are App Data, Calender. Chrome, Contacts. Users would see this and say ok to this. However if you go beneath that there are options of synchronizing pics as well to google +. This is what is causing the issues.

Just disable it and it won't happen again. Hope this was helpful.

Regards
Ankur

meyerseed

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info above! My phone carrier was trying to convince me that I deleted my photos! Once you find all the photos (mine are hidden under .thumbnails), how do you restore them to the gallery?

Thanks!
Michele

irsteph

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I just came from a wedding were I took bunch of pictures. I wanted to send it to Google drive to save it. But I lost the whole album. Plseeee help

roby nooorano

May 12, 2014
Visit site
me too on my note 2!!!!

I upgraded my note2 to 4.3 since only 3 weeks (in italy 4.3 was distrubuted few months ago)
and I have experienced today the same loss of all the picture in the folder! I own my phone since 8 months and never had problems.

the issue happended exactly as described by you, only the camera folder, no else deleted, new picture are now saved correctly (I suppose till to new delete from the 4.3 system...) .
Pictures were in internal memory, I fear they cannot be recovered by the phone, but I did a kies backup before upgrade so I hope to recover them... will check today when back home...

I was reluctant before upgarde to 4.3... too bad this upgrade...

I signed in this forum just to tell all samsung note users to be careful.. Hallo!

solotristan88

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me too. It was a bad sandisk 64 memory card. Worked great at first....then stopped saving all pics. Get a Samsung 64 memory card or due your research on the sandisk-they have had a ton of bad batches. Bought a Samsung one and haven't looked back.

Posted via Android Central App

Jhon Powell

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. It's happened 2x already. It happens just to the photos in my camera folder. I don't have an SD card or any app that is supposed to sync my photos IE Google + so what the heck is happening to my photos?!

jitin girdhar

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
OMG and i was unnecessarily blaming my son thinking he accidentally deleted the pics... wasted 3 days in looking for the best professional software to recover my pics... the same thing happened wid my note 3... i had thousands of pics but now left wid 50 only though this hpnd first time wid me since i m using note 3 from last 9 months and have used note before... i checked my files it shows 8.59 GB all content and around 12 GB others... now i m wondering if its possible that this 'others' include my deleted pics as well. Guys u hv been talking bout issue... pls suggest solution... i have hell lot of memories of last 9 months...
PS: i have started sync options wid google photos and dropbox and have taken backup in laptop. Though its too late but dont wanna repeat my mistake.
PLS HELP

jennieb35

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been having a very similar problem. I take a picture. You view it. It syncs to drop box. I go back to show friends and it's a black square with lightning bolt through it and it says unable to load thumbnail file is either incorrect format, corrupt or been removed. What???? And to make it better it picks and chooses which photos to remove. So we went to my sisters wedding and only have about 5 pictures out of around 70. Plus I have a bloody thumbnail picture as stated above in my Dropbox too so am not happy about this and I note this does appear to have started happening since the update. What do we do to fix this problem? My phone is Samsung Galaxy note 2. I really hope someone can find a fix for this.or I will definitely have to change phones.