Question Moving photos

Curlywurly

Nov 11, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I would like to move my photos to my SD card on my Samsung a21.
The SD card is set up as the default but photos are still going to the internal storage images file and taking up lots of room.
I have uninstalled rarely used apps.
In the internal storage section of My files, no photos show up. They are all in the images section.
There are some photos on the SD card, but not all.
If I go into images, camera and long press a photo, moving to the SD card is not an option..
I am unsure as to my next step, please help! Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Images section of the My Files app is a category, not a location -- it will show all images that it can find, regardless of the location, and show them there. Instead of looking in that section, tap either the Internal Storage or SD Card option under "Storage" to browse those areas, and look in the DCIM/Camera folder of each. Do you see the photos there?

Curlywurly

Nov 11, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Images section of the My Files app is a category, not a location -- it will show all images that it can find, regardless of the location, and show them there. Instead of looking in that section, tap either the Internal Storage or SD Card option under "Storage" to browse those areas, and look in the DCIM/Camera folder of each. Do you see the photos there?
Hi, thanks for the reply.
No photos are in DCIM.
SD card holds the photos from a trip away. But nothing else. I specifically put them in there though.
In internal storage nearly all the folders have nothing in. Other than 13 in notifications.

Curlywurly

Nov 11, 2023
Visit site

Seems like Data Size Explorer(from the Playstore) will help you see what is where.
Ok I'll try that. Thanks

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You keep saying that internal memory shows almost nothing, when that seems to be what you want. You want them to me mostly on the SD card also known as external memory. In the meantime one other thing to consider is what app you're using to take photos. If you're using FB, Insta, Snap or other apps that are not just touching the icon and opening the camera app those images will be stored where ever those apps store them regardless of your preference in the camera app.
In internal storage nearly all the folders have nothing in.
In the internal storage section of My files, no photos show up.
You mention this a couple of times also.
They are all in the images section.
What do you mean by this? They are showing up in the internal memory but not in the DCIM>Camera folders? Without disclosing any personal information please show us a screenshot of what you mean. Again please blur or blackout any thumbnails that may appear and show a number or folder name or where and how you're seeing this.

Last edited:

Curlywurly

Nov 11, 2023
Visit site
You keep saying that internal memory shows almost nothing, when that seems to be what you want. You want them to me mostly on the SD card also known as external memory. In the meantime one other thing to consider is what app you're using to take photos. If you're using FB, Insta, Snap or other apps that are not just touching the icon and opening the camera app those images will be stored where ever those apps store them regardless of your preference in the camera app.

Best wishes though.
That's good to know. I hadn't thought of that side of things.

Curlywurly

Nov 11, 2023
Visit site
I have found them now. Thanks for all the help and advice, I really appreciate it.
They are all on the SD card under DCIM. I didn't check it before as it said it only had one item, but that one item is over 200 photos. I know I was advised to check DCIM and I did, but only in internal storage not the SD card. My bad everyone! Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter