Note 3: KitKat update disabling use of external micro SD Card

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Basically all apps on KitKat - unless from Google or OEM - are prohibited from writing on External SD except onto one designated directory (i.e., "/Android/com.apppackage.name").
NO THIRD-PARTY APPS are allowed to write anywhere else on external SD.

Back in the DOS days (for those of you that old) you could issue a command that mapped a folder name to another folder anywhere even on another drive. If this new requirement is enforced by just looking at folder name in the open for write api then some industrious Android programmer could produce a resident utility that would map that special folder to wherever you wanted. That would at least allow you to manually grant more than one app write access to the same folder. If that could be done without rooting it would be better than the current root required method to change the permissions file.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Note 3 International version doesn't seem to have been tampered with. Can still take photos and save them on SD

Posted via Android Central App

THAT's not this issue. yes, sock on-board apps will be able to write to the SD.
Third-party will only be able to write their own folders. So a photo editing app cannot go and get access to your DCIM or PHOTOS folder. It can only access read/write from/to the folder it itself has created.

Obviously this is a greater problem for some apps than others.
If you are used to moving, copying, deleting and making folders on the SD using an "Explorer" app, you won't be able to do this now.
The only way to manage files on the SD (and between internal and SD) is to connect (VIA USB) to a PC, and move all the files to the PC then move them back to the SD.
THAT's the real problem; you cannot manage your files anymore on a mobile basis.

That and all the devs that are pooched because their apps utilize other folders. With no heads-up from google.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
To all of you knox-phobic people out there it is time to overcome your knox fear and free your android devices from bondage...since the only way to salvation is through rooting hahaha well eventually it aint meant for the faint of hearts anyway

Happy rooting ladies and gentlemen :)

That's a very cavalier and arrogant approach. That's like saying that your new car won't function well with the onboard computer firmware from the factory and what you should do is open the sealed computer module and create your own firmware version. What would you do if you were not a mechanic and that was the proposed solution to your problem on your $30,000 2014 car? Because even if they have not fixed it, the dealer will tell you to take a hike once they see you have messed with it. You paid for a fully-functional car and it's THEIR problem to fix it, not yours.

A great deal of the whole concept behind android is that it is open platform and google will not hamper your efforts to have your device your own way.

If I root, I void a warranty which is worth a great deal.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Please excuse me if I sound rude I don't mean to be. Rooting is for some people and not for others. I am very happy for those who love to root but I wish you all would quit pushing it on those of us who don't want to.

I don't like salesman pushing their products at me, I don't like religious people pushing their religion at me, I don't like anyone pushing their beliefs at me.

For people that love to root it may be your be all and end all but its not for everyone.

Deb from my Note 3

Ed Tauch

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
My only 2 regrets right now are 1. Buying another samsung product because I knew that 2. They'd screw up another update. However I've never had so many problems with any phone as I've had with the notes kitkat 'upbreak'. What a silicone travesty. My wifi stopped. My phone has reset itself more than once. I can no longer delete emails from my phone. And the sd card is virtually useless now. How they can screw up this bad is beyond me.

Never another samsung anything for me.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Google..they've certainly evolved into something very different than we knew 10 years ago.

Personally I think they HAVE disabled old functionality of sd intentionally to force users away from use of external memory. This is evidenced by the absence of microSD on ALL Google /nexus devices. Of course it's intentional
. If google was all that concerned about security, don't you think the coders and strategists could find a more sophisticated and subtle approach? This is a sledgehammer approach to a relatively small problem.

And of course they dialog with manufactueres and carriers... thus the forced updates. It does seem like rooting solves the issue but users should not be forced into something so drastic with an approach that voids warranty.

Another point in the argument that google is intentionally roadblocking the external memory is that manufacturers have been able to charge significant premiums for memory onboard devices. You pay a LOT more to upgrade a device from 16 gb onboard to 32 gb. Manufactuers would much rather you pay $150 for 16 gigs than get a 64 gig card on amazon for $55. Ridiculous.

You guys on Notes are going to have to take the kk hit if you want your GPS issue fixed too
. Very, very disappointed in google.

I have no gps, bluetooth, nor wifi issues. My only issue is the lousy built in compass won't work in a car.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Please excuse me if I sound rude I don't mean to be. Rooting is for some people and not for others. I am very happy for those who love to root but I wish you all would quit pushing it on those of us who don't want to.

I don't like salesman pushing their products at me, I don't like religious people pushing their religion at me, I don't like anyone pushing their beliefs at me.

For people that love to root it may be your be all and end all but its not for everyone.

Deb from my Note 3

I agree with you... But if manufacturers supported rooting so we didn't have to trust unknown individuals in another country with phone security I would root.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My only 2 regrets right now are 1. Buying another samsung product because I knew that 2. They'd screw up another update. However I've never had so many problems with any phone as I've had with the notes kitkat 'upbreak'. What a silicone travesty. My wifi stopped. My phone has reset itself more than once. I can no longer delete emails from my phone. And the sd card is virtually useless now. How they can screw up this bad is beyond me.

Never another samsung anything for me.

I ME every cell phone works best with the os it was designed with. It gets must more testing and works better. I've never had an update on any Android phone that improved my user experience and some have absolutely ruined it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
THAT's not this issue. yes, sock on-board apps will be able to write to the SD.
Third-party will only be able to write their own folders. So a photo editing app cannot go and get access to your DCIM or PHOTOS folder. It can only access read/write from/to the folder it itself has created.

Obviously this is a greater problem for some apps than others.
If you are used to moving, copying, deleting and making folders on the SD using an "Explorer" app, you won't be able to do this now.
The only way to manage files on the SD (and between internal and SD) is to connect (VIA USB) to a PC, and move all the files to the PC then move them back to the SD.
THAT's the real problem; you cannot manage your files anymore on a mobile basis.

That and all the devs that are pooched because their apps utilize other folders. With no heads-up from google.

I'm still trying to understand what kk does with an onboard external card. Do you not have any sort of USB OTG capability?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Bartjeu

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
My Note 3 updated yesterday and today when I tried to take pictures with the stock camera it tells me it can't save the picture to the card and will switch to the device storage. I then tried to use my files to move a pic from the device to sd and it failed as well... this is so annoying... i mean it's a stock app, not a 3rd party one... any ideas from any one would be great...
I have the same problem. Any solutions yet? (except for rooting)

Last edited:

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
That's a very cavalier and arrogant approach. That's like saying that your new car won't function well with the onboard computer firmware from the factory and what you should do is open the sealed computer module and create your own firmware version. What would you do if you were not a mechanic and that was the proposed solution to your problem on your $30,000 2014 car? Because even if they have not fixed it, the dealer will tell you to take a hike once they see you have messed with it. You paid for a fully-functional car and it's THEIR problem to fix it, not yours.

A great deal of the whole concept behind android is that it is open platform and google will not hamper your efforts to have your device your own way.

If I root, I void a warranty which is worth a great deal.

But, OTOH, that's like saying that car companies would make it so that you couldn't get into the module. That's fine for most people but there is a minority that likes to tune their cars by changing out chips, altering engine mgt maps, etc. Sometimes, these tweaks even make it back to the mfr.

In most cases, more options are better than less options, especially when it comes to customizing what mfrs have decided is best for you. Sometimes, their choices are best for the broad marketplace but not so much for the individual user.

Rooting is only for a tiny portion of the market. And those people generally go into rooting with their eyes open. They accept the risks.

BTW, if done correctly, rooting doesn't have to void the warranty. You can usually take it back to dead stock.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
BTW, if done correctly, rooting doesn't have to void the warranty. You can usually take it back to dead stock.

On KitKat you can get the software back to stock after rooting. However, all current means of rooting also trip the Knox counter, so it's technically not completely "dead stock".

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. Any solutions yet? (except for rooting)

The stock app will right to the SD Card. Best and easest solution is to
1. remove and backup all data on the SD card to a computer
2. Put the card back in the phone and format it with the phone
3. adjust the settings in your camera app to write to the SD Card.

It will work

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
My rooting didn't trip the Knox counter. Nor did it trip anyone's using the method at GalaxyNote3Root.com - Learn How to Root Galaxy Note 3!.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Please provide a link to the specific thread you are referring to for this KitKat root method. This thread: How to Root Galaxy Note 3! | GalaxyNote3Root.com talks about installing CWM or TWRP recovery, each of which on their own will trip Knox.

I was able to root with Kingo on 4.3 Jelly Bean without tripping Knox, but Knox doesn't work on 4.4.2 KitKat. No one else has been able to root KitKat without tripping Knox.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If you look into the site (is not a thread), there are specific pages for specific carriers' phones. Each has a different method because each device has a specific file that you have to use. TWRP did not trip Knox for me. I posted a photo of my recovery page to show it in an earlier thread. I'd repost the photo, but it's not on my phone. It's on my laptop because I obviously took it with my camera.

I'll try to get to reposting it later, but I can assure you that Knox has not been tripped, even with me using TWRP.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Please provide a link to the specific thread you are referring to for this KitKat root method. This thread: How to Root Galaxy Note 3! | GalaxyNote3Root.com talks about installing CWM or TWRP recovery, each of which on their own will trip Knox.

I was able to root with Kingo on 4.3 Jelly Bean without tripping Knox, but Knox doesn't work on 4.4.2 KitKat. No one else has been able to root KitKat without tripping Knox.

Yes Jim, but he's magical. He is apparently the only one on the planet who can root KitKat without tripping Knox! His phone can do things no one else's can. I have seen him post as much!

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Go to the FAQ and you'll find links for the various carrier varieties, as well as links to the recovery, Odin, and driver files.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
No magic.

"For those of you who want to root your Verizon Galaxy Note 3 (model number SM-N900V), here?s a root method that will root your phone while keeping KNOX counter at 0?0."

I have verified right here in the forum with a photo. Many others have verified the very same thing in various forums. In fact, I haven't seen anyone say that this method tripped Knox.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
For KK, that could be true. But we on Verizon don't even have KK yet. I was obviously referring to JB and rooting in general and discussing the concept of rooting with someone who doesn't even have Note. Had nothing to do with Kit Kit specifically.

Those with Kit Kat will probably just have to wait a little longer before they root. I would never root with a new iteration anyway.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89