Note 3 hot temperature

crivera7836

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Recently (This week) my phone has been feeling extremely hot sometimes even too hot for my pocket, all this while still being inside an extremely thick otter box defender case which i wouldn't expect to feel so hot. Could This heat be coming from a damaged battery? or is there it might be something else wrong with the phone? If so should my verizon wireless insurance replace just my battery or my cell phone. I would like to read about anyones past experience with problems of note 3 overheating.

Lev Osherovich

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Check the running applications for a hanging process that's hogging the CPU. Aborting hung processes (usually Chrome or Google Plus) solves this problem for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

crivera7836

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Everything seems normal to me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1394862296766.jpg
    1394862296766.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 1394862359864.jpg
    1394862359864.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 75

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Heat can only come from a couple of sources.
1 would be battery shorting out, but that would cause catastrophic failure.
2 would be excessive discharge (or charge) of the battery. If its excessive discharge the processor would also get extremely hot.
Keep in mind if its in your pocket and your body is 98 degrees the device can heat up much faster since your providing an external heat source while the phone internally is warming up.
If it is indeed to hot to touch while its in a protective case the damn thing has to be cooking inside.. I would be very concerned with this.
Unfortunately what you have shown us isnt much help. Its a good start but i my self dont see much there.
Sometimes an app can glitch and get stuck. Often times simply powering off the unit and powering it back on can fix it..
I would start there.. If it happens a lot then do more troubleshooting.

inalot

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Recently (This week) my phone has been feeling extremely hot sometimes even too hot for my pocket, all this while still being inside an extremely thick otter box defender case which i wouldn't expect to feel so hot. Could This heat be coming from a damaged battery? or is there it might be something else wrong with the phone? If so should my verizon wireless insurance replace just my battery or my cell phone. I would like to read about anyones past experience with problems of note 3 overheating.

I'm experiencing this too. It gets quite hot around the camera. There's nothing really running. At the moment the temperature is about 38 degrees centigrade. I can feel the hot temperature when I talk on the phone. I also have a capdase case btw.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
38 ?C isn't a problem, temperature wise. Recently my battery got to 115?F.

unajuvyt.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
its possible its the camera bug that was found in 4.4.2 on the nexus 5 device.
I dont have the link or info in front of me but google is aware of a bug in 4.4.2 that has to do with the camera being accessed and causing the CPU to run fast.
Its thought to be a general bug in 4.4.2 but since its now rolling out to some devices it has not been confirmed. That was a few weeks ago..
Google 4.4.2 camera bug in nexus 5 and it should show you what im referring to.

Umair Shams

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Recently I also started to get problems of overheating and battery drain. You won't believe it but the battery drains in 4 hours on standby (with the screen off) and gets extremely hot about 52? C. Also once it switches off it won't switch on easily.

Mario Jambrovic

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I also have problem with sudden battery drain on my Note 3. In such cases it always gets hot around the camera.
My solution is simple, I just take one picture with the camera. After that battery drain stops, and camera cools off. This solves the problem each time.

MS3GT

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, this phone has been a headache the last lil bit. And I damn sure don't wanna get another one to fix the problem.

I am Aquaman!

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I bought a spare supposedly "Samsung" battery and when I put that battery in, the phone gets warm and battery drains quickly. When I put the battery in that came with the phone the phone does NOT get warm and the battery drain is normal.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Check your signal strength when the phone is hot... (use the battery area of settings to compare signal strength to battery drain).. Low signal will heat your phone and kill battery too. In my case, I had analog signal with my note 3 way too hot, especially when everyone else had normal signal. Called Verizon and switched the SIM card for a new one (when the old one was giving trouble with digital signals staying locked). Fixed the signal problem and the battery drain and heat, and now am back to normal battery drain issues and heat from too many apps/wakelocks running my cpu too much.

Posted via Android Central App

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Check your signal strength when the phone is hot... (use the battery area of settings to compare signal strength to battery drain).. Low signal will heat your phone and kill battery too. In my case, I had analog signal with my note 3 way too hot, especially when everyone else had normal signal. Called Verizon and switched the SIM card for a new one (when the old one was giving trouble with digital signals staying locked). Fixed the signal problem and the battery drain and heat, and now am back to normal battery drain issues and heat from too many apps/wakelocks running my cpu too much.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for the info. I was in the sane place when this happened and signal strength was great with both batteries, not sure but believe the battery may have had something to do with my issue

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I hard reset my Note 3 this weekend. Spent a few hours getting everything back to the way i had it set up.

My unit was draining a bit faster then normal and i finally noticed it running a bit hotter. This was in airplane mode with WiFi on. (back up device to my M8).
Battery life is much better and the unit is no longer running hot.