UK - Unlocked, stock. Just received kit Kat update. What are the issues?

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Just received the kit Kat update in the UK, just wondered if anyone's having issues? I'm happy with 4.3 - it's been faultless & so I'm a little reticent to update. Any comments gratefully received to help me make my decision. Cheers!

Sent from my GT-N8000 using AC Forums mobile app

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK and gave in to the 2 day old update on Saturday, only because I heard KK has addressed the WiFi unstable issue. I was determined to stick on 4.3 before that.

It's early days so I may run into issues and can't report on the SD card yet.
However all went very well. Apart from the Notification Bar icons in white (I like it now with a white phone) everything on display is exactly the same.
I'm pleased the menu system I took ages to learn is still there. All apps that I have tried work fine, though the way some display drop down lists etc is different (banks/others). They must have been updated for KK before I installed and changed seamlessly.
2 minor things: initially I was not getting the public wifi unsuitability fussiness in the same places, but that signal too weak/unstable warning has re-appeared a couple of times, but less often. I carry 2 phones around and my GS2 never has that.
I also had an issue yesterday with syncing when I kept getting notifications to log in to Picasa which I had never done. Sorted with great Mods help, but it does seem after install it ticks all the (sync/other) settings boxes you may have unticked before.

So I can recommend it if you have a factory sim free one like mine as there was no drama. The same apps and other files are on the SD card. I haven't tried to install new ones there
Does it cure the fussy wifi, maybe not completely, but nothing negative to report.
At the same time 4.3 may work as well for you (battery and efficiency are supposed to be better on 4.4 and it seems good but too early - 4.3 was fine anyway)
So for me once I solved the sync everything is fine, exactly the same phone, and apps and S-Planner look better.
I think in time app developers will push you towards KK so now I know it's fine I am OK. I was complaining right along with others beforehand that they should not have changed SD card access, so I may encounter issues, but so far all is the same.
y4a7unav.jpg

Nobody knows how much I don't know. Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Many, many thanks for that. Mine is factory SIM free as well so perhaps we avoid the carriers' bugs in some way. Leaning towards giving it a go now, but I know I'll lose Flash Player, although that isn't a big a deal as it was.
Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Many, many thanks for that. Mine is factory SIM free as well so perhaps we avoid the carriers' bugs in some way. Leaning towards giving it a go now, but I know I'll lose Flash Player, although that isn't a big a deal as it was.
Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

EDIT:
Ok. Sure. Never thought to put flash on this great screen. Also don't d/l or stteam video yet, just stream some tv.

I did it via usb on kies and 100% battery. I wouldn't do it at work or on the fly. But you probably downloaded the files already.
Sounds like you could afford another one anyway, lol.
(Give the Central Lounge thread on usernames a try.)

I would be interested if you have any issues or I can help so post here. Good luck.

Nobody knows how much I don't know. Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine is unlocked and sim free in the UK too. I updated to KitKat a few days ago and have had no problems at all. It all seems stable and works fine :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress