Google now vs s voice

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Why is Google now better than s-voice?

I discovered an app that switched s voice to Google now which basically allows note 3 owners to have always listening Google now. After trying to research why Google now is better I always find inaccurate, out of date info. Usually somebody comments saying Google now it's vastly superior but doesn't give examples. Can you provide your opinion?

Specifically the s-voice vs the Google now voice control

I do love the Google now widget.
Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Well if you are a gmaill user google now can access key words and inform you of upcomming events based on that...for example someone emailed me their flight info so I could pick them up at airport...ggole now widget informed ne the day before that the flight would be arriving on time and offered me navi to airport etc. Later it informed me flight was arriving 15 min ealy after it departed on time...this is very useful for me...it also links me to articles based on bookmarks I have set...just a good app overall for searches too...keeps me posted on my favorite teams and scores and upcomming games. Maybe I don't utilize s voice as much but it has not integrated with my interests as far as I have seen. And today it notified me when my ups package would arrive...the list goes on.
It does all this through the widget...I have not tried the google now launcher yet.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes Google now the app is great I'm a user as well. Im just wondering about the voice Google now. I should have been more specific!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for everyone here but Svoice and Bluetooth are a match made in hell. Using Gnow/search is vastly superior. I find Svoice to be slow and frustrating at times. The only thing I find superior is that with Svoice, you can control parts of your phone. With Gnow, it's limited but I hear more and more control is being added.

If I had to pick, it would be Gnow as the slowness of Svoice drives me insane.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I find s voice frustrating during always listening. It thinks I said hello galaxy when I didn't. It would be nice to have a cancel command or something. Also I am able to call or text via Google now voice and open apps. That seems pretty good for phone integration. I find the s voice through blue tooth has finally become tolerable. On my note 2 I couldn't accurately dictate text messages through Bluetooth but it works now on both. I will add that s voice gets stuck listening when in my car (Bluetooth)because of the ambient noise. Another good reason for an end command. Thank you for posting

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I find s voice frustrating during always listening. It thinks I said hello galaxy when I didn't. It would be nice to have a cancel command or something. Also I am able to call or text via Google now voice and open apps. That seems pretty good for phone integration. I find the s voice through blue tooth has finally become tolerable. On my note 2 I couldn't accurately dictate text messages through Bluetooth but it works now on both. I will add that s voice gets stuck listening when in my car (Bluetooth)because of the ambient noise. Another good reason for an end command. Thank you for posting

I find Gnow much more accurate than Svoice. But the worst part (for me) is the lag associated with it. Tap the command button and it can sit for 10 seconds before it starts then another 10 seconds before it tells you "mom" is not in your contacts and another 10 seconds before it calls "Dan's Crab Shack" in Maine.

I have tured off Svoice in settings and use Gnow for all search terms but when I use BT (which is everyday) I use My Motospeak for voice commands as I use a Moto sliver II as my headset. Works flawless most of the time.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I personally never found much use for either. I'm still yet to find a voice assistant as efficient as Siri, and this is coming from a guy who never owned an iPhone (not an Apple fan). I'd really like a real Siri clone on my Note 3, no waiting for voice processing, completely integrated into everything on the phone, issue commands on the go and get almost instant results.

Maybe there's something like this for Android and I'm just missing it? I can't even tell S voice to schedule an appointment for me without having to manually enter some details myself. Is there a real voice "assistant" for Android with real A.I.? As opposed to just a set of voice commands pretending to be an assistant? I'm sorry I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant lol. I'm just jealous of iPhone owners but have no desire to switch to the apple ecosystem myself with their endless proprietary bs and awful icon grids.

Last edited:

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
While docked in the car, using Google Now over Bluetooth works far better for me than S-voice, which doesn't even connect to my Bluetooth to listen to voice command.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Google now provides Google with up to minute, unfeathered information on your whereabouts and activities so they can better understand who you are.

Is it better? maybe, its 120% creepy if you ask me. I will never use it. The convenience it provides just isn't worth the privacy I would give up for.

4mynikka

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
S-Voice is the worst while being used with a Bluetooth headset. I've switched to Google now and enjoy it very much. Just need to set it up properly and you're good to go.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I personally never found much use for either. I'm still yet to find a voice assistant as efficient as Siri, and this is coming from a guy who never owned an iPhone (not an Apple fan). I'd really like a real Siri clone on my Note 3, no waiting for voice processing, completely integrated into everything on the phone, issue commands on the go and get almost instant results.

Maybe there's something like this for Android and I'm just missing it? I can't even tell S voice to schedule an appointment for me without having to manually enter some details myself. Is there a real voice "assistant" for Android with real A.I.? As opposed to just a set of voice commands pretending to be an assistant? I'm sorry I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant lol. I'm just jealous of iPhone owners but have no desire to switch to the apple ecosystem myself with their endless proprietary bs and awful icon grids.

The Gnow always listening on the MotoX is to die for and I think it makes siri look like a cross dresser. It's the best I have ever used!! If it would have had a 5+ inch screen, I would have kept it instead of giving it to my brother.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Google Now is way better. I like the voice recognition better... And the fact that it uses Google to produce the search. It returns the results faster and learns from being used so you can see various cards for news, traffic between work and home, and also other things like tracing packages you purchased.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When I had my S3 (granted I know I am bringing up an older version of S Voice, but it's all I have to draw an opinion), S Voice lagged, both the program itself and the home button. Voice recognition was wrong more often than not, and results were slow.

I use Google now on my Moto X a lot more than I ever used S Voice. The results are brought up in Search that I can look at later. Overall, Now just seems more polished, an overall better product.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Google Now is way better. I like the voice recognition better... And the fact that it uses Google to produce the search. It returns the results faster and learns from being use so you can see various cards for news, traffic between work and home, and also other things like tracing packages your purchased.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I agree. S voice voice recognition is no where as good as Google now, and is slower.

I am happy that someone came up with the s for s voice app. It works well. I wish that I could bypass the "Hi Galaxy" for wake-up on stock and use "ok Google", but a minor inconvenience.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I used to use S-Voice; it met both my hands-free needs. When I need to call some one, I'd press the button on my headset, I'd hear the cue, then I'd say "Call ______", and it would. Just importantly to me, maybe even more so, I could press the ear piece button, get the cue, and say "Play music", and it would resume playing where ever it had left off, using the stock music player that came with my Note 2. Similarly, I could say "Play Next", and it would! I could say "Play previous", and it would! I could say "Play 'Artist Name', and it would cycle through all the songs in my collection by that artist. I could say "Play 'song title', and it would play every version of that song by any artist in my collection. Then I was hijacked by Google Now, which will occasionally allow me to make a phone call, but mostly responds with "Sorry, I'd didn't catch that...". Any body know how to turn Google Now off, and restore S-Voice ?

MovieQ

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I am so frustrated when our comes to the S voice. A year ago when I first got my SGS4 - I thought it was the coolest thing! Now. .... the honeymoon is over.

😮I ask it to call "mom" and it says I don't have mom as a contact.
😮 I tried to activate galaxy by saying "hi galaxy" - nothing happens. So I changed my recorded voice and said "aloha S" and in both situations I have not been able to use this feature in the year that I've had my phone. So I activate with finger on button then it wakes her up and she'll do all kinds of things for me like texting, play music, read email, etc...
😮 Now because I set my home location, it never fails when she is disabled ... she comes on herself! What! Then the voice changed. I must have got rid of the wrong app. It style her voice. Then I figured out how to change it in settings and found that google has her own voice. Which is more pleasing to the ears.
😮 I got so irritated with S voice, I disabled again, unchecked update features. ... everything and the next time I arrived at home - SHE SPOKE AGAIN!
I went into settings and changed her to an Italian voice setting. It's beautiful and not as protruding. Though, I'd prefer something I could enjoy!
🚩music
🚩text messages
🚩aol email via aqua mail
🚩Apex launcher
🚩gallery photos
🚩take picture, take video
🚩turn on alarm, turn off, snooze
Open apps...

Any ideas? Please reply. .. I like learning new things especially if you're a great teacher. Thank you! GBY

MovieQ

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Go to your Google settings and turn it off.
Go to your application manager settings and turn S voice on by "enable" button. Restart phone to make changes.

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Google Now is great but S voice is not bad either. Things S voice can do Google now can't and vice versa. As for example s voice can turn your wi fi bluetooth driving mode on but Google now (with any third party app integration) can't. S voice can't show those g. now cards from email like flight details, when to leave for work etc.

But neither of them is as intelligent as Microsoft's CORTANA. If google can incorporate things which cortana does into Google now with its existing features it will be the best voice assistant. Smartphone must have features like cortana.

Posted from Note III