Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Would you buy a Note 3 today?

A bit of background: I'm on T-Mobile's JUMP plan, and have the Galaxy S4.
    I'm pretty happy with the phone, but a big part of why I got on JUMP was so
    I could do pretty frequent updates. I'd assumed there was a good chance
    I'd go for the S5, but now that it's out, it just doesn't seem like a sufficient
    upgrade over the S4 to justify making the switch. The new HTC One is
    obviously awesome in all the expected ways, but I still am worried about
    the camera, and moreover, it's a decent bit bigger and heavier than the
    S4 (and the S4's lightness and holdability are great things about it).

So, all this has made me take a second look at the Note 3; specifically,
    I'm wondering whether it's still worth getting. The things I'm running over
    in my mind are:

- Comparisons to S5 and (new) HTC One in performance, size, weight, etc.

- Wondering about upcoming devices: Nexus 6, maybe LG G3... and of
    course the Note 4 coming in the fall.

So what do you experts think? Still worth doing? And, of course, while I
    have held an played with the Note 3, I still don't have a sense of *how*
    different its feel and usability is from the S4.

Thanks!

Default Re: Would you buy a Note 3 today?

if M8 is too big, N3 will be way to big for you.

If you are comfortable with the size, then this is the best.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks... regarding the size, I should have been more clear: given how big
    the M8 is, I figured why not consider the Note 3, which offers obvious advantages
    over the M8.

Screen size and s pen are the major advantages of the Note 3 over the m8.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Terveen View Post
    A bit of background: I'm on T-Mobile's JUMP plan, and have the Galaxy S4.
    I'm pretty happy with the phone, but a big part of why I got on JUMP was so
    I could do pretty frequent updates. I'd assumed there was a good chance
    I'd go for the S5, but now that it's out, it just doesn't seem like a sufficient
    upgrade over the S4 to justify making the switch. The new HTC One is
    obviously awesome in all the expected ways, but I still am worried about
    the camera, and moreover, it's a decent bit bigger and heavier than the
    S4 (and the S4's lightness and holdability are great things about it).

So, all this has made me take a second look at the Note 3; specifically,
    I'm wondering whether it's still worth getting. The things I'm running over
    in my mind are:

- Comparisons to S5 and (new) HTC One in performance, size, weight, etc.

- Wondering about upcoming devices: Nexus 6, maybe LG G3... and of
    course the Note 4 coming in the fall.

So what do you experts think? Still worth doing? And, of course, while I
    have held an played with the Note 3, I still don't have a sense of *how*
    different its feel and usability is from the S4.

Thanks!
    Assuming size is not an issue, then the Note 3 is absolutely worth an upgrade from the S4 or even the 5 for that matter. In this case, the Note gives you a lot of functionality you just won't get from those others. They may or may not have better specs but the Note allows you to do things you just can't do on any other phone. Oh and I think people also tend to forget that they have a buyers remorse period. If you can't figure it out after two weeks (or whatever), then you will never figure it out. I knew after the first day I had it that I was in it for the long haul.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
    johnmltb33 and Jalopiejoe like this.

I would say that the Note3 is holding it's own against the latest and greatest. The Note3 would be a wise choice and a great way to wait on the Note4 (approx 7 months away).
    Thanked by:
    johnmltb33 and Jalopiejoe like this.

the M8 is, I figured why not consider the Note 3, which offers obvious advantages
    over the M8.
    then Note 3. I have a hard time understanding HTC's design putting speaker in front. They should do a market survey to see how many people actually cares about the sound that much, before making this thing unnecessarily big.

I also hate curved backs, why does it need to curve? oh HTC.

Would you buy a Note 3 today?-galaxy-note-3-vs-new-htc-one-400x242.jpg
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4
    Spencerdl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    then Note 3. I have a hard time understanding HTC's design putting speaker in front. They should do a market survey to see how many people actually cares about the sound that much, before making this thing unnecessarily big.

I also hate curved backs, why does it need to curve? oh HTC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galaxy-Note-3-vs-New-HTC-One--400x242.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	109676
    RARELY do I listen to phone speakers, with all the BETTER sounding Bluetooth speakers and EarBuds as well as Headphones out there...WHY? The concept of puting that much effort, space and time into phone speakers is something that baffels me. (just my .02 cents). Curved vs Flat...a no brainer for ME....FLAT

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    RARELY do I listen to phone speakers, with all the better sounding Bluetooth speakers and EarBuds as well as Headphones out there...WHY? The concept of puting that much effort, space and time into phone speakers is something that baffels me. (just my .02 cents). Curved vs Flat...a no brainer for ME....FLAT
    True and I think most of the time, you can't just play the speakers for fear of disturbing others around you. I guess it would be nice but only if you aren't sacrificing other more important things.

Quote Originally Posted by clitrenta View Post
    True and I think most of the time, you can't just play the speakers for fear of disturbing others around you. I guess it would be nice but only if you aren't sacrificing other more important things.
    That's the problem I have. I use my Bluetooth headset around 8 hours a day but rarely use the speakers for music or movies.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

kit kat raped my battery life though. Stock. I used to finish the day at 30% on a single charge. now I need to plug it in or end in the 10-15% range.

I would advise: get the Note 3 and NEVER look back! The S-pen functionality and screen size make it head and shoulders over the others IMO.
    Thanked by:

Love my Note 3! Go for it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size does matter!"
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Well, I went for it! Now trying to decide whether to install the kitkat update. I guess I'd better while I'm in the two week return period.

Posted via Android Central App

Love the Note 3. You'll get used to the size and wonder how you ever lived with a smaller phone

Plus the Note 3 is still a monster. Still one of the most powerful smartphones out there, even compared to the S5.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Well, I went for it! Now trying to decide whether to install the kitkat update. I guess I'd better while I'm in the two week return period.

ConGrats on your new Note3....ENJOY
    Thanked by:

Well, I went for it! Now trying to decide whether to install the kitkat update. I guess I'd better while I'm in the two week return period.Posted via Android Central App
    Go for it. I did it last night and it was fairly painless. Some people have had problems but if all goes well, it also solves some of the existing problems. Well worth the risk.
    anon8380037 likes this.

over the M8.
    The size of the Note 3 is very, very easy to become accustomed to. The thing is, the Note 3 is really made to be used with two hands (as a 'Phablet' form factor) that can be used with a stretch one handed for quick productivity tasks. As a two-handed phone / mini-tablet / PDA it excels. Add in the S-Pen functionality for note taking and precise control, the 1080P screen (which is excellent) and really I don't think you can go wrong. But it depends on what YOU want to be able to do with it.

To directly answer your question, I would buy a Note 3 today. They're about halfway through their refresh cycle and the phone is still an absolute powerhouse; it leaves nothing to the competition. Further, I bought mine about a month ago and don't regret the decision whatsover (coming from a Nexus 4 at the time, plus a few other spares I use from time to time.)

EDIT: One more thing: I find i use my phone for many, many more tasks now than I did before going to the Note. The size better supports reading eBooks, surfing, email, managing my calendar, productivity apps, etcetera without being completely unwieldy. I find I'm leaving my iPad mini - the device that previously never left my side - at home or office and just relying on the Note because the mid-range form factor works for just about everything I'm trying to do. The iPad has largely been relegated to a NetFlix viewer while I am relying on either the Note or my laptop to perform tasks, depending on what those tasks are.

I definitely find the Note 3 serves as a real 'utility belt' device that I basically didn't have in my pocket before.
    anon8380037 and Jalopiejoe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    The size of the Note 3 is very, very easy to become accustomed to.
    I was in a car dealership the other day and got my note 3 out to check the news app while I was waiting. When the sales assistant came back he said "Ohh, that's a big one"

I have only had my note 3 for just over 3 months and I do not notice the size at all now. Other people notice so it really IS big, but not to me.
    anon8380037 likes this.

I would not only because I still have N2 so real happy to wait for N4 then leapfrog over N3.
    for me I prefer to have a larger jump in specs but if N4 doesn't impress me then sure N3 is on the cards maybe
    N2 holds its own well enough that I could even wait for N5!
    Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105T using AC Forums mobile app

Samsung touchwiz rocks then there all these new phones out soon S5, M8 there no where in the league of the Ultimate Note 3 as the bigger screen 3gb ram and the 4k revording that 4xHD so o and the S pen etc list goes on there id sayvthe note is the Rolls Royce of mobile phones

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amcjavelinsst View Post
    I would not only because I still have N2 so real happy to wait for N4 then leapfrog over N3.
    for me I prefer to have a larger jump in specs but if N4 doesn't impress me then sure N3 is on the cards maybe
    N2 holds its own well enough that I could even wait for N5!
    Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105T using AC Forums mobile app
    I thought about holding on to the Note 2 as well. I had it for 10 months but when I started really looking at the Note 3, I began realizing it is more than just a minor spec bump. I can honestly say I am much happier with the Note 3. It really is a significant upgrade over the Note 2. From the screen to the RAM, the built in storage to the faster processor, to just how the Note 3 feels in the hand.....it definitely is much nicer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

I am seriously thinking about going back to a Note 2 or jumping ship to the HTC One Max. This Knox crap and permanently tripping the Knox counter if you root or install a custom recovery is for the birds.

I've had it for two days now and I love it. Only complaint I have is I don't get that good of reception at work as I did with my Moto X & HTC One. Outside of that, it's a great phone that future proof. I can see myself keeping this phone for the next year.

Yes I would.
    Now a little negative contemplation from reading the article below from BBC/Technology/Smartphone overuse. (I haven't worked out the URL link thing, and this is reported elsewhere I'm sure).
    I roughly calculate I look at my screen at least 4 times more than my previous GS2, because of the size, the quality and the uses available. I would hope they develop switchable e-reader/Amoled type screens in the future to protect eyes younger than of old fogies like me.
    Be very afraid.
    28 March 2014 06:08

Opticians say people are so addicted to smartphones they may be increasing their risk of eye damage.

They are warning overuse from phones and other devices like computers, tablets, and flat screen TVs can lead to long-term damage.

It comes as a survey of 2,000 people suggests under 25s check their phones thirty-two times a day.

Optician Andy Hepworth said: "Blue violet light is potentially hazardous and toxic to the back of your eyes.

"So over a long period of time it can potentially damage your eyes.

"When you're looking at a smart phone, the light peaking out of that is blue violet."

He says tests have found that over exposure to blue-violet light has the potential to put us at greater risk of macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness.

Opticians say that, although "good" blue light (blue-turquoise) is needed to help regulate biological clocks, it is also thought that extensive exposure to blue violet light can disrupt sleep patterns and affect moods.

"Although we don't know if there's a direct link with it creating eye problems, there is strong lab evidence it can potentially do that," Andy added.

"It's the combination of not blinking enough and bringing the device closer than you normally look at objects - it strains your eyes."

'More headaches'

The survey, commissioned by a group of independent opticians, found that on average, an adult spends nearly seven hours a day staring at a screen with nearly half feeling anxious when away from their phone.

Statistics also suggest 43% of under 25s experience genuine irritation or anxiety when they can't check their phone when they want.

It also found 55% felt the amount of screen time they're exposed to affects them with eye discomfort the main problem.

Eighteen-year-old Alana Chinery from Essex is never without her smart phone.

She said: "I've definitely noticed that my eyes are getting worse from staring at my computer and phone.

"I am getting more headaches."

Amanda Saint, who is also an optician, says the advice is simple.

"Get your eyes tested regularly and take regular breaks from your computer and hand held device."

Follow @BBCNewsbeat on Twitter

BBC 2014

Via my Note 3 on AC.
    Last edited by Madd54; 03-29-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast