Odd battery Observation

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I had noticed that lately my battery was going down at an alarming rate. I thought it was just because I had a lot of things going on along with being set at 100% brightness on the display AND being hooked up to a Gear smart watch. Today I decided to try out one of the Hyperion battieries I recently bought (same capacity) and it seems to be doing much better than the Samsung battery. Is it possible that battery could have gone bad that fast? I've had the N3 since late january and it was doing fine up until a few days ago. The Samsung stock battery was maybe down to 50+% after about 5-6 hours. :'(

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I was having a few weeks where I would drop from 80% to below 30% for about 4 hours in the afternoon when the screen is used most.

Since that time I had a 27mb patch update for KitKat, I downloaded WiFi Matic which turns off wifi away from my regular spots, and GPS Status.
I also started leaving GPS, and Sync on.
Now its very linear and drops gently through the day.

I had been doing short top ups in the car before, but try to avoid it now. A mid top up from around 50% to full I learned is good, but a 10 - 20% top up I think not.

So retraining the battery, working it harder and some new signal fix apps somehow worked for me.

ON EDIT: So your Samsung battery may have just had a temporary crisis.

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I was having a few weeks where I would drop from 80% to below 30% for about 4 hours in the afternoon when the screen is used most.

Since that time I had a 27mb patch update for KitKat, I downloaded WiFi Matic which turns off wifi away from my regular spots, and GPS Status.
I also started leaving GPS, and Sync on.
Now its very linear and drops gently through the day.

I had been doing short top ups in the car before, but try to avoid it now. A mid top up from around 50% to full I learned is good, but a 10 - 20% top up I think not.

So retraining the battery, working it harder and some new signal fix apps somehow worked for me.

ON EDIT: So your Samsung battery may have just had a temporary crisis.

Think my Samsung battery needs a leave of absence? :p This battery stuff is crazy but I will continue to use them all in the never ending quest to achieve battery nirvana :cool: I do hope my Samsung one comes around though

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
More like 50 press ups and keep using it until it gets better, and just have the back up. So many opinions on battery longevity and what drains them. I wish I had saved all the sensible tips. @clevin had good battery advice, but something changed to drain it too.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
More like 50 press ups and keep using it until it gets better, and just have the back up. So many opinions on battery longevity and what drains them. I wish I had saved all the sensible tips. @clevin had good battery advice, but something changed to drain it too.

I agreen. I just have so many things going on that contribute toward that, it's hard to say which one is my main culprit. Pick one:

1. Display brightness at 100%
2. Location services on all the time
3. WiFi and BT on all the time
4. Various updates going on here and there
5. Samsung Gear 2 connected all day
6. Occasional hotspot usage
7. Life360 (heavy battery usage with this apps locations services apparently)

Still.... I won't give up any of it. I'll figure out what works best for me so I can use everything I want to use without compromise.

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
All of the options above drain the battery at a lesser rate than just the location services.

Turn just the location services off and you will be surprised by how much the drain rate will reduce

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I agreen. I just have so many things going on that contribute toward that, it's hard to say which one is my main culprit. Pick one:

1. Display brightness at 100%
2. Location services on all the time
3. WiFi and BT on all the time
4. Various updates going on here and there
5. Samsung Gear 2 connected all day
6. Occasional hotspot usage
7. Life360 (heavy battery usage with this apps locations services apparently)

Still.... I won't give up any of it. I'll figure out what works best for me so I can use everything I want to use without compromise.

Exactly.
I remember another recent post of yours.
Now that you have enough battery, let the phone work for a living.
It may do it good in the long term.
Only thing I would get in extreme use is a temperature alert that shows up, like you can do in GSam.

ON EDIT: GPS Status helps my GPS, as does leaving GPS on period.
Don't know about the Gear. Bluetooth can be heavy but I found if its locked to one device and not searchable my earpiece doesn't make much difference to the battery.

I would try different Brightness unless you are in sunlight, only because I read blue violet light is bad on your eyes.

Last edited:

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Leaving the GPS enabled has zero impact on battery, unless an app is calling for location. When you enable the GPS on Android, it does not turn the GPS receiver on -

The GPS receiver ONLY turns on when an app requests a location.

You can download App Ops X and selectively disable location requests on a per app basis, which I have done.

Turning off "Location reporting" is helpful with battery however, I found that with it on, the device would very request a GPS location quite often. Now, it's quite rare, unless I'm in the Google Maps app...or in Car Home Ultra. I don't see the need for location reporting anyway...since It doesn't benefit me as much as it does Google.

Last edited:

KiltedMP

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. It seemed to be relegated to Google Services mostly. I installed Battery Doctor and it's helping me get back my battery life. In fact, over the weekend, while the phone was mostly idle, I made 1 day, 11 hours on battery with plenty left on the stock battery with Battery Doctor shutting down unnecessary apps.

I'm hoping 4.4.2 will help out with battery life.