Battery charge w/ both WiFi and mobile data on

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I used to use WiFi when at home, or mobile data when out and about, never both on at the same time. Somebody pointed out to me that, since I have unlimited data, there's no need to ever turn it off. It seems to me, however, that since I started keeping mobile data on even at home, with a strong WiFi signal, my battery charge went down precipitously. Could it be that always keeping both on at the same time is the culprit?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
When WiFi is on, mobile data is effectively off, unless you send an MMS or are using download booster. The only reason to manually turn it off is if you had weak signal or if your WiFi connection was intermittent and you didn't want it to switch to mobile. So with WiFi on and strong mobile signal, battery should be minimally affected by not turning off mobile manually or leaving it enabled. I do recommend turning off smart network switch in your WiFi settings however. Not all carriers have this option, so if you don't find it there, nevermind. I think Verizon had an optimization setting instead under mobile networks.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I used to use WiFi when at home, or mobile data when out and about, never both on at the same time. Somebody pointed out to me that, since I have unlimited data, there's no need to ever turn it off. It seems to me, however, that since I started keeping mobile data on even at home, with a strong WiFi signal, my battery charge went down precipitously. Could it be that always keeping both on at the same time is the culprit?

If Your Phone has the City ID or Caller ID that can cause both the Wifi and Data to run at the sametime. You have to remove the city ID/Caller ID app to fix the problem.The 4G should be shaded out when you are on WiFi. If it is not the Both are running at the same time. Now if you have the 4.4.4 update the both will be on at the same time,but the arrows will be flashing under WiFi only when you are using Wifi and the arrows will Flash under 4G only when you are using data. They are both lit because of the New VOLTE(Voice over LTE) If you are on Verizon.