Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 4 NFC Google Wallet Compatability with Tap and Pay

Hello,

Does anyone know of the Note 4 on sprint will be compatible with Google wallet Tap and pay with NFC at retailers? That was a big disappointment when I switched from my note 2 to the 3.

Thanks,
    Thanked by:
    tech_fan likes this.

Global Posts
    7,600 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: NFC Google Wallet Compatability with Tap and Pay

As of now, there's no official word from Sprint on that as far as I know.
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Why wouldn't it have tap to pay? That's done by the NFC chip inside the phone. Its not a carrier thing. Download google Wallet and you can use it on any phone with NFC.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Doesn't work that way. Carrier has to support it. T-Mobile supports Softcard [ISIS].

Google Wallet is now separate from the secure element so the carriers can't block it. Should work.
    Galaxy S6 Gold Platinum 128GB; iPad Air 2 128GB; MacBook Pro 15" Retina; iPhone 4S (work phone); AppleTV; Airport Extreme, ASUS ZenFone 2 4GB w/ 64GB ROM
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    Google Wallet is now separate from the secure element so the carriers can't block it. Should work.
    My AT&T Note3 didn't work with GW, only Isis. I hope this is resolved on the Note4.

Posted via Android Central App
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
    Thanked by 2:
    tgp

Global Posts
    3,507 Global Posts

My impression was that any device with KitKat bypasses carrier restrictions for tap-to-pay. But how would I know? I use Nexus devices, and my wife has an unlocked Moto X.
    Current lineup: Nexus 6 (primary device) and Lumia 920. There are several others as well, but they come and go!

I went back to the Google Wallet page https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/1347934 and found it very odd that only (3) devices are listed to NOT work with Tap to Pay.

• Samsung Galaxy Note III
    • Evo 4G LTE
    • Nexus 7 (2012)

Yet the Galaxy S3, S4, S5 are ok, and the Note 3 isn't. I want to know why that is, was it Samsungs choice? Did they address it in the Note 4, and if the Note 4 isn't listed does that means its too early to tell or the FAQ is not updated yet since its not out yet. I have the Google Wallet Card, yet I want Tap to Pay AND Google, and OEM's need to step up their game with CrApple coming with NFC which they will proclaim they invented.
    Galaxy S6 Gold Platinum 128GB; iPad Air 2 128GB; MacBook Pro 15" Retina; iPhone 4S (work phone); AppleTV; Airport Extreme, ASUS ZenFone 2 4GB w/ 64GB ROM
    Thanked by:
    Gator352 likes this.

-I think these were 3 that did work but were cut off once the Upgrade went through. They gave the KitKat/Chip thing as a reason they took it away from the Evo . I really miss it and would like it in my next Phone so the Note III being on that list bothers me as it should have had the dedicated security chip I would have thought .

So the S3, S4, S5 all got the dedicated chip and the Flagship Note 3 didn't, seems very odd to me. Given apples big push into mobile payments this had better given Google the ammunition to force the carriers to stop blocking them since they can't do squat to apple about it. Its high time the Google Wallet was given the credit it deserves before apple claims they invented mobile payments let alone popularized it. Who cares if the phone does it if the retailers don't and if they only adopt apples play then they will find it a very cold sales world.

Default Re: Note 4 NFC Google Wallet Compatability with Tap and Pay

The reason that the note 3 doesn't work is because it uses broadcom nfc chips. Tap to pay only works with chips from NXP, which apple is now using in the iPhone 6, and is in all other android phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Saucedo1 View Post
    Why wouldn't it have tap to pay? That's done by the NFC chip inside the phone. Its not a carrier thing. Download google Wallet and you can use it on any phone with NFC.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Because some devices don't work with tap and pay... Such as the Note 3 right now doesn't work with it even though it has NFC.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.

Community Rules & Guidelines
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Interesting. So do we know if Note 4 and Note 4 Edge have the NXP chip? Did they specify that in the specs I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by YourBuddy2 View Post
    The reason that the note 3 doesn't work is because it uses broadcom nfc chips. Tap to pay only works with chips from NXP, which apple is now using in the iPhone 6, and is in all other android phones.
    --------------------------
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Black
    iPhone 6 Steel Grey 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 32GB Black
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition 4G/LTE on Verizon
    Samsung Gear S - Black
    Samsung Galaxy Gear - Jet Black

Quote Originally Posted by pwscott View Post
    Interesting. So do we know if Note 4 and Note 4 Edge have the NXP chip? Did they specify that in the specs I wonder?
    That is the real question and we likely won't know until the official iFixIt tear down or unless Samsung desides to offer up information. That said they did lose potential sales by not having it available for pre-order already.

Look again. Google wallet it is now supported on note 3.

I have an AT&T note 3 and I still do not have Google Wallet tap to pay.
    Thanked by:

I have a an AT&T Note 3 also, and I can't use google Wallet Tap to Pay. I was forced to use ISIS, which I don't want to use. It was a real disappointment, since I was able to use Google Wallet with my Note 2. I hope the Note 4 has it.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by Andy847 View Post
    I have a an AT&T Note 3 also, and I can't use google Wallet Tap to Pay. I was forced to use ISIS, which I don't want to use. It was a real disappointment, since I was able to use Google Wallet with my Note 2. I hope the Note 4 has it.
    andy,you are using the terrorist group isis to pay for things? Hey someone get the FBI on line 1 lol. But seriously, is tap and pay hacker proof?

Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    andy,you are using the terrorist group isis to pay for things? Hey someone get the FBI on line 1 lol. But seriously, is tap and pay hacker proof?

LOL. I honestly couldn't tell you if it's hacker proof or not. I was using Google Wallet on my Note 2 for quite awhile and never had any problems. Same with SoftCard (use to be ISIS, maybe the carriers didn't like to be associated with that group? LOL), I haven't had any problems with it.

The only thing that bothers me about it, is there are not a lot of places that use it yet, with either google wallet or Softcard. It's a shame, because I like how easy it is to use. I use it a our local pharmacy and at McDonalds. Haven't really found anywhere else near me that it works at. Even some of the places that have it, it never seems to work at. No problems at the ones I use it at mostly though.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB

Note 3 didn't work with Wallet when it first came out. Then we got the Kitkat update and has been working since. I use it all the time.
    HTC Hero > HTC Evo > HTC Evo 3D > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by mrwallyy View Post
    Note 3 didn't work with Wallet when it first came out. Then we got the Kitkat update and has been working since. I use it all the time.
    Same here, but I still do not have Tap to Pay. To my knowledge, KK did not fix that.
    Nchaka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1123 View Post
    Same here, but I still do not have Tap to Pay. To my knowledge, KK did not fix that.
    I use tap to pay with Wallet.
    HTC Hero > HTC Evo > HTC Evo 3D > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I haven't used it but the app says I'm ready to go.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. The Note 3 from TMO, ATT, and Verizon have an NXP chip that was new at the time and the drivers had not been incorporated by Google into Kit Kat to support HCE, which is what is used now for Google Wallet tap n pay. So these devices do not work because of this. The Sprint Note 3 is based on the international hardware and uses a Broadcom chip and does work with Wallet tap n pay in Kit Kat.

Prior to KitKat, Wallet used the secure element and would work on any Note 3 if the carrier didn't block it, which some did. You could get around this with root of course. You can't get around the current limitation with root since it is not supported by Google in the current OS and Kit Kat is now required for Wallet. Google can integrate driver support for the Note 3 in future OS but it has not been verified if it is yet integrated in any of the versions that are not officially released yet for the above carriers.

Whether it works in the Note 4 will depend on the NFC chip and whether Google has integrated HCE support for it into the OS.
    Thanked by 2:

The note 3 is no longer listed as 'unsupported'. That's because Sprint was the last to update to KitKat required for HCE to bypass carrier block on NFC payment. Check for yourself.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast