Looks like the Note 4 will be my first Android Device, what should I expect?

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Looks like the Note 4 will be my first Android Device...

I owned an iPhone 3G on the day it launched. I then moved to the all new "Windows Phone 7" when it launched with an HTC HD7. For the last two years, I've been using the Nokia Lumia 920.

And now I'm ready to try my hand in the Android pool.

So, as the Note 4 will be my first Android device, what should I expect? What types of "OS culture shock" will I be in for?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Looks like the Note 4 will be my first Android Device...

The vast freedom and openness. Stunning, and large screen.

@T-Mobile GN3

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Samsung makes great devices. As I too am moving to the Note 4, I imagine we're going to love it.

I've owned a Galaxy S3 and 4, so I'm familiar with Touchwiz. Also, I've played around extensively with my sisters Note 2 as well as friends Note 3s. The size will take some adjustments but nothing I can't handle.

Really looking forward to the S-Pen and having an AMOLED screen again. I've come to loathe LCDs.

While good, they tend to look washed out. True or 'real' life colors hold no appeal to me as I don't use my phone as a device that would need those colors.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Samsung makes great devices. As I too am moving to the Note 4, I imagine we're going to love it.

I've owned a Galaxy S3 and 4, so I'm familiar with Touchwiz. Also, I've played around extensively with my sisters Note 2 as well as friends Note 3s. The size will take some adjustments but nothing I can't handle.

Really looking forward to the S-Pen and having an AMOLED screen again. I've come to loathe LCDs.

While good, they tend to look washed out. True or 'real' life colors hold no appeal to me as I don't use my phone as a device that would need those colors.

Indeed, if I want to see real world color, I can just lift my head and see as much as I need, I don't give a flying thing about screen showing exactly really world color.

Still, it worth pointing it out that galaxy series now offers multiple color profiles, from most accurate to most vivid.

@T-Mobile GN3

mpdayii

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Note edge is what I'm waiting for... Love my note 3 but the edge looks cool as.... Need I say more? Just need root then I'll buy... Hurry up Verizon and release ASAP

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

So, as the Note 4 will be my first Android device, what should I expect? What types of "OS culture shock" will I be in for?

Welcome to Android!

You can expect much more freedom in personalization in how your phone looks/operates, how you setup your home screens, and the vast amount of customization apps that are available to add to and enhance android's core functionality.

Don't like the way that TouchWiz (essentially, your home screens) looks or opererates? No problem. Replace it. (I'd highly recommend Nova Launcher)

Want to try different keyboards? There are many to choose from. (I'd highly recommend SwiftKey)

I'm curious Chromeo_El_Lobo, what made you choose the Note 4 over the new iPhone 6 or 6 Plus?

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Some examples of apps that can extend the functionality of android are (I use these 3 everyday, several times a day) :

Clipper
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=org.rojekti.clipper&token=G_pyCNqj
Copy multiple text items to the clipboard and then paste them as needed. The new SPen functions with the Note 4 will do this as well and also include images. So this one might not be as useful anymore.

Some handy apps for controlling the brightness and dimness of your screen.

Screen Brightness
(Very quickly adjust the brightness without leaving an app, whether watching a movie, playing a game, etc. Just swipe your finger and it's done.)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...berbigpepper.DisplayBrightness&token=0N_GMRpn

Screen Filter
(Makes your screen dimmer, good for night time or reading in bed, or when you are in a dark place such as a movie theater and you don't want to make it obvious you are checking your phone, shhh!)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.haxor%EF%BB%BF&token=eO7ElJ8p

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

From this article, it appears that the Note 4 has a super dimmer mode. Maybe that will make the Screen Filter app obsolete.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/09/the-galaxy-note-4-has-the-best-display-of-any-smartphone-so-far/

" Super dimming mode
The Galaxy Note 4 also has a Super Dimming Mode that allows the Maximum Screen Brightness to be set all the way down to just 2 cd/m2 (nits) using the Brightness Slider. This is useful for working comfortably without eye strain or bothering others in very dark environments, or affecting the eye’s dark adaptation, such as when using a telescope. The display still delivers full 24-bit colour and the picture quality remains excellent. "

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Being able to dump a extra 64 gigs of space on there for movies and music for, oh, 50 bucks. MicroSD FTMFW.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

You should be very happy with a Note 4. I gave the Note 3 a try for my first big smartphone and I'm still very happy with the phone. Wouldn't go smaller and will probably stick to the Note line of phones for the future.

Posted via Galaxy Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non