Settings button (bottom left) is gone on Note 4

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
One other different thing on the Note 4 (compared to previous Notes & Galaxy S devices) is that the Settings button (bottom left) is gone. It's been replaced with a "recent apps" button. It's this way on my Note Pro 12.2" too.

This puts the Samsung devices more in line with standard android devices that don't have a dedicated settings button.

The Best Buy guy freaked out when he noticed this. "THE SETTINGS BUTTON IS GONE! HOW DO I GET TO SETTINGS NOW!" I had to help him out and tell him to long press on the "recent apps" button to get to the settings now.

I have to wonder about those guys sometimes. I'm twice their age and still technically more knowledgeable about latest stuff that I would expect them to devour being young, having more time, having more access to the latest devices all the time, and it's their job to know these kinds of things.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
He means the menu button. There is a dedicated 3 dot software menu button on most apps now, and if not, like you said, long pressing the most recent button opens the menu.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I usually order online from Amazon or Dell but a few months ago when I needed a new computer I went to Best Buy because I was interested in an Acer that only Best Buy or Acer online sell. The individual I spoke with identified himself as a computer dept. manager and knew less than I did about the model I was interested in. In fact he didn't even know the Acer was capable of using an active digital stylus or that Acer offered one as an accessory. It will remain in my memory that he repeatedly slammed a Sony Vaio laptop with an SSD down on the counter to demonstrate the durability of a SSD vs. a HDD. Prior to that I'd gone to BB to inquire about a phone several years ago and the individual I spoke with that time knew nothing about it so I left. I'm going to Best Buy to try and pre-order the Note 4 and trade my S1, will be interesting to see what I experience on this go around. I blame BB themselves for not having better trained salespeople.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that. I didn't know a long press took you to settings that's good to note thanks! Can't wait for this phone!

Posted via Android Central App

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
It's quite annoying with the Tab S 10.5 I wish it had the menu button but oh well

Yes I have found it very annoying on the HTC One M8. The buttons are also reversed which I guess is ok since I'm now used to the back button being on the right.

Edit: Scratch that. I'm so used to this phone being different from Samsung I forgot that the back button was always on the right side. Smh I'm probably gonna be backwards again once I get my note.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have found it very annoying on the HTC One M8. The buttons are also reversed which I guess is ok since I'm now used to the back button being on the right.

Edit: Scratch that. I'm so used to this phone being different from Samsung I forgot that the back button was always on the right side. Smh I'm probably gonna be backwards again once I get my note.

Yeah had the same issue when I had a Nexus 5 but Got used to going back to the note 3. After using my Tab S it might not be so bad without the Menu button

Suzanne Shuford

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't believe the lower left button on Note 3 was the same as all settings. When in contacts in note 3, I hit the lower left button and get options like backup, delete, business cards, share name card, speed dial, send message or email , settings help.
In note 5 I have not where to get to this same functionality.
This has been this issue I have, before it was easy, now I have to search all over and don't find what I need.
Suzanne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non