Note 4 Fast Charging

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I use an old slow overnight charger for my devices. No reason to heat up and shorten the life of the battery every day.
And there is that awesome feature, swappable batteries, that a lot of devices can't even do.
The processor was designed to support this and is in fact, why the phone charges at such high speeds. It is not harmful to the battery either.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The processor was designed to support this and is in fact, why the phone charges at such high speeds. It is not harmful to the battery either.

No it isn't 'destructive' harmful, but higher currents WILL generate heat in the battery and the support circuits. Heat is one of the main enemies of lithium batteries. No reason to forcefully run things warm when a slower cooler charge is good enough.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Using that logic, I guess you shouldn't play games on your phone either. That's ridiculous. Use your phone and charger the way it was intended.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Using that logic, I guess you shouldn't play games on your phone either. That's ridiculous. Use your phone and charger the way it was intended.

100% agree. In fact I often use my device as a GPS with the screen on max. It gets toasty. That is why I have these devices, to use them.
Just saying, I see no need to use high currents constantly.
Do people let their device run way low then need an instant charge all of the time?

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

I agree. The beauty of Samsung's phones is the easy user replacability of the batteries at a reasonable cost.
Use the hell out of your phone, charge it whenever and however you like, and don't worry about the battery until it needs replacement. Battery life just isn't worth worrying about. If you are the kind of person who must worry, just keep a spare battery around.

Posted via Android Central App

Sputtle

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
So I have the Note 4. I've only fully charged it twice so far. But both times it did not charge as fast as advertised. I did this while the device was powered off, and the screen confirmed the fast charging by saying just that, "Fast Charging." So last night I powered the device on during the charge. GSam battery monitor showed the battery charging at 1120 ma. Wow, really? My old S4 charged faster than that. I know there is only certain conditions that allow a battery to be charged quickly. But what are they? At the time of charging, the battery was 84 degrees. That's pretty normal for any battery. Are there other things besides temp that the phone and charger are taking into account when charging the device?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I use the fast charge when need to, but turn it off when charging overnight. When samsung gets around to releasing the wireless charger back I'll be putting it back on my tylt pad.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe the complaints about the fast charging! I'm very pleased with both the battery life and how quickly it recharges.

Attachments

• 1414822125394.jpg
    1414822125394.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 53

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
GSam battery monitor showed the battery charging at 1120 ma. Wow, really? My old S4 charged faster than that. I know there is only certain conditions that allow a battery to be charged quickly. But what are they? At the time of charging, the battery was 84 degrees. That's pretty normal for any battery. Are there other things besides temp that the phone and charger are taking into account when charging the device?

Yesterday I had a battery sucking event, plus I wanted to test the quick charger. Battery Monitor shows around a 2.5 amp charge rate for about 30 minutes, from about 15% to 55%. Battery temp went from 31.6 to 33.1 degrees C. Then I unplugged it.
Looks like it works great. I'll generally keep it turned off, but it is great knowing it is there.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I was at 8% yesterday and charged up to 100% in an hour and a half. Not bad but not as fast as claimed. At any rate I'm happy with the fast charging.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was at 8% yesterday and charged up to 100% in an hour and a half. Not bad but not as fast as claimed. At any rate I'm happy with the fast charging.
It charges close to 0-50% in 30 minutes but tapers off after 75%.

Samsung claimed 0-100% in 100 minutes so you are getting about their claim.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

robvandam111

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Question about the Fast Charging. So far my experience has been awesome with it. When I go to my settings though, my Fast Charging box is checked but still looks like if it was disabled since it doesn't charge fast anymore. How do I make it work again?

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Question about the Fast Charging. So far my experience has been awesome with it. When I go to my settings though, my Fast Charging box is checked but still looks like if it was disabled since it doesn't charge fast anymore. How do I make it work again?
What indication are you getting/not getting to show it is not fast charging? While fast charging it will gray out the option. When you first plug it in, you should get a notification at the top saying fast charging.
After that nothing. With that being said, the white transformers can go bad, the cords can go bad. Try using another cord first to see if that makes a difference, then try another fast charger transformer (brick) and see what may be bad.
Good Luck!
Ron

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

If you are checking the Power Savings menu while the device is plugged in, it will gray out the Fast Charge option whether it is active or disabled. The device has to be unplugged in order to activate/deactivate fast charging.

If you have already done that and the device is not fast charging, it is either your cable, your charger head, or the outlet.

robvandam111

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
If you are checking the Power Savings menu while the device is plugged in, it will gray out the Fast Charge option whether it is active or disabled. The device has to be unplugged in order to activate/deactivate fast charging.

If you have already done that and the device is not fast charging, it is either your cable, your charger head, or the outlet.

I was playing around with the Ultra Power Saving but that was it. I think you're right about the charger head or outlet. I just removed it and tried some place else. It works, gave it some time to test the fast charging again from the original spot (Surge protector), seems to moving quicker again.

What indication are you getting/not getting to show it is not fast charging? While fast charging it will gray out the option. When you first plug it in, you should get a notification at the top saying fast charging.
After that nothing. With that being said, the white transformers can go bad, the cords can go bad. Try using another cord first to see if that makes a difference, then try another fast charger transformer (brick) and see what may be bad.
Good Luck!
Ron

Thanks, Ron! It was charging but not as fast it was going due to the nice feature. I removed the small Samsung brick and I guess its working fine now. I definitely have to be aware of these things.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It's telling me that I am at 95%and it will take 24 minutes to reach 100. It charges faster with the Droid turbo charger.

So is it possible the brick is faulty?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited: