Note 4 Exynos Vs Snapdragon, did it slow down your decision?

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I was so pumped to get the Note 4 and I even pre ordered one. The problem is when I found that my country will get the Snapdragon version. After looking all over the web its clear that the Exynos 5433 is a winner this time and it beats the SC805 by a noticeable score in benchmarks.

Now you might say that benchmarks means nothing and it won't matter BUT the Exynos is 20nm 64bit processor. This mean it will be better when Android L comes out which will support the 64bit. Also since its coming with 20nm vs the 28nm from Snapdragon, it should run efficiently and produce less heat from gaming and heavy use.

What is your thought?
Exynos 5433-powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4 benchmarked - GSMArena.com news

samsung SM-N910F vs samsung SM-N910C - Geekbench Browser

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Exynos Vs Snapdragon, did it slow down your decision?

Hello everyone,

I was so pumped to get the Note 4 and I even pre ordered one. The problem is when I found that my country will get the Snapdragon version. After looking all over the web its clear that the Exynos 5433 is a winner this time and it beats the SC805 by a noticeable score in benchmarks.

Now you might say that benchmarks means nothing and it won't matter BUT the Exynos is 20nm 64bit processor. This mean it will be better when Android L comes out which will support the 64bit. Also since its coming with 20nm vs the 28nm from Snapdragon, it should run efficiently and produce less heat from gaming and heavy use.

What is your thought?
Exynos 5433-powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4 benchmarked - GSMArena.com news

samsung SM-N910F vs samsung SM-N910C - Geekbench Browser
Meh still won't have as much app support as Qualcomm has. Apps run fine on my note 3 but issues with my tab s 10.5 and also when I had a note 10.1 2014 edition

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Meh still won't have as much app support as Qualcomm has. Apps run fine on my note 3 but issues with my tab s 10.5 and also when I had a note 10.1 2014 edition

Interesting,
I also have Tab S 8.4 with Exynos and I don't have problem with any app. Do you have any app in mind that I can try out on both CPUs?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Interesting,
I also have Tab S 8.4 with Exynos and I don't have problem with any app. Do you have any app in mind that I can try out on both CPUs?
Xcom I know laggs and unplayable on the tab s and a few others but don't remember them

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Xcom I know laggs and unplayable on the tab s and a few others but don't remember them

I was gonna try it out to compare but this app cost $9 and I don't need it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I would like the exynos version, but Verizon 4GLTE is more important.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I would like the exynos version, but Verizon 4GLTE is more important.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

The SM-910U Exynos support my carrier bands which are 800/2600 so that's not a problem for me. Amazon sell the 910U but with no warranty, but I don't need it since I will trigger the knox with root.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Now you might say that benchmarks means nothing and it won't matter BUT the Exynos is 20nm 64bit processor. This mean it will be better when Android L comes out which will support the 64bit.

Why will it be better because Android L will support 64Bit? Whether there is any advantage to having a 64bit address space in a phone in the future remains to be seen. There certainly won't be an advantage in Android L. Particularly on a phone with only 3GB hard-wired in.

All things being equal, I suppose 64bit would be nice to have. Probably the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Probably.

But today, I would rather have the greater App compatibility of the Qualcom over the theoretical advantages of the 64bit on the Exynos.

Also, I spend very little time using my phone to run benchmarks, so I am much more interested in how they perform in the real world with real apps. In the real world, its very hard to tell the difference.

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Why will it be better because Android L will support 64Bit? Whether there is any advantage to having a 64bit address space in a phone in the future remains to be seen. There certainly won't be an advantage in Android L. Particularly on a phone with only 3GB hard-wired in.

All things being equal, I suppose 64bit would be nice to have. Probably the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Probably.

But today, I would rather have the greater App compatibility of the Qualcom over the theoretical advantages of the 64bit on the Exynos.

Also, I spend very little time using my phone to run benchmarks, so I am much more interested in how they perform in the real world with real apps. In the real world, its very hard to tell the difference.

MrMLK, thanks for your input.

I have yet to see a Note 4 review with SC-805. I don't really care much about benchmarks but since i don't have any review I looked over the benchmarks numbers to compare.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I have yet to see a Note 4 review with SC-805. I don't really care much about benchmarks but since i don't have any review I looked over the benchmarks numbers to compare.

IMO, benchmarks are somewhat of a red-herring, because these phones run faster that the current generation of software needs, and software is unlikely to catch up to them before both phones are obsolete.

64bit is currently just a marketing item. No phone needs more than 4GB because there are no apps that would take advantage of it. Apps don't exist because the platform is unsuitable to them. It isn't the lack of memory that is keeping things like full scale video editing apps from being produced. Its the lack of interest, and the unsuitableness of a phone for using them.

I would say if you want the Note 4, don't worry about which processor it has in it.

Luis Figueiredo

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

IMO, benchmarks are somewhat of a red-herring, because these phones run faster that the current generation of software needs, and software is unlikely to catch up to them before both phones are obsolete.

64bit is currently just a marketing item. No phone needs more than 4GB because there are no apps that would take advantage of it. Apps don't exist because the platform is unsuitable to them. It isn't the lack of memory that is keeping things like full scale video editing apps from being produced. Its the lack of interest, and the unsuitableness of a phone for using them.

I would say if you want the Note 4, don't worry about which processor it has in it.

just stop saying that 64 its its for bigger memory... just stop .. most ppl thinks that but what they dont know is arm 32 bits supports 40bit addressing which is like 1tb memory and also ppl dont know is that armv8 have more general purpose registers which can run way faster than less registers at least you are right about 64bit being marketing but not right when saying that specific 64bit arch is only o achieve memory lines.. bottom line saying 64bit it is for memory addressing is just wrong

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I will sum the 64bit up in 4 words "I Couldn't Care Less" .

Can I open an app very quickly? yes

can I close it quickly? Yes

Can I play quality games? Yes

Can I take photos? Yes

Can I multitask with ease? Yes

Everything I need to do gets done quickly and I have no issues with the speed and performance of what we have now.

Not arguing the possible benefits of 64bit processors.

But is it kicking me that I don't have it?

NO

Posted via the Android Central App

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

just stop saying that 64 its its for bigger memory... just stop .. most ppl thinks that but what they dont know is arm 32 bits supports 40bit addressing which is like 1tb memory

Well, that is true and not true. When a 32 bit processor does 40 bit memory addressing, some register dancing goes on, and there is some slight performance penalty. 40 bit addressing is somewhat of a hack. There aren't 40 bit registers to handle the memory access.

So yes, you can do larger that 4 GB of ram on most of the current 32 bit phones, but you don't want to. 64 bit processors handle the addressing natively, without the same performance penalties.

In theory, any OS could be hacked on any processor to handle more memory. You just don't want to.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
To the OP if you still care. Exynos is only faster in CPU tests...the Adreno 420 (GPU) wipes the floor with the exynos version...

Posted by my Note 4, or Nexus 9...****, maybe by a Note 2014 ed. or hell...maybe it was this Nexus 4 or 5...oh, snap...there's Nexus 7. okay, I need to clean...

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
None of this matters to me since I upgrade my phone once a year and get the latest greatest whatever is out in October each year. 64bit or not.

jihadbk

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site