Is it just me or... does the Note 4 lag?

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
it's not just you, the note 4 lags. i've been using the device over this past week and can say without a doubt that touchwiz still suffers from lag. everyone claiming that it doesnt have any lag likely has little to no experience with a truly lag free phone, or is incapable of noticing. the same logic applies to those saying they can't tell a difference between a 1080p tv vs 720p tv at normal distances. most people can't tell, but there are definitely a lot who can. the note 4 is still fast if you actually consider the time it takes to perform tasks, but it does so with random stutters and hiccups along the way. i've been using a nexus 5 and moto x (2013) for the past year. While the note 4 is faster in terms of speed, the nexus/moto x on kitkat/lollipop performs everything MUCH smoother. The only time i would get any type of stutter from the nexus or moto x was if i were using the phone while installing apps within the background.

every phone seems to have some owners ready to jump up to defend their phone as if their own children were being insulted. please don't take this the wrong way. it's just my objective observation. I still love the note 4 for its beautiful display (amongst other great features) and will likely keep it for a while.

edit: forgot to mention that i'm using nova launcher, and also adjusted animation speeds to 0.5 within developer options. the lag is still there. im going to try switching to ART runtime, hopefully it helps.

Uh, no, and thanks for the group attack. Note 4s on certain carriers definitely do lag, but not everybody's Note 4 lags. I most certainly know what lag is, thank you very much, and fortunately, my Note 4 on Sprint, with carrier bloat uninstalled/disabled and using Nova, does not lag. Again, I'm going to put down that the lag issues some note 4s have are based on the specific carrier, the manufacturing location, or a combination of both.

jnow007

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Do the Samsung tablets such as 8.4 pro lag as much as the Note 4 or is it much faster? I tried out the tablets at the store and never noticed any lag and it uses the same Touchwhiz as the Note 4 so I'm assuming it should be the same? I sort of ordered the Note 4 for store pick up and this talk of lagging has made me nervous. I didn't get to try the Note 4 in store though. It's not too late for me to change my mind...

Is the lag time the same or worse than the Samsung tablets?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
it's not just you, the note 4 lags. i've been using the device over this past week and can say without a doubt that touchwiz still suffers from lag. everyone claiming that it doesnt have any lag likely has little to no experience with a truly lag free phone, or is incapable of noticing...

Sorry. Just because you are experiencing this doesn't mean those of us who aren't "have no experience with a lag free device or are incapable of noticing."

Despite what you want to believe, there are some of us out there that do not experience any lag like you are describing.

This phone is certainly not perfect, but I am not experiencing the issues you describe with yours.

jnow007

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I was watching a Note 4 review on Youtube when it started lagging during the video. I can't post links yet since I am new but if you want to see the lag yourself go to Youtube and search for "Flossy Carter Samsung Note 4"....

Go to 14:15 He opens up email from the side bar; it has like half a second lag but nothing too bad... Then opens calendar to show us how to multitask and it lags for like 5 seconds at least! Opens something else and the whole thing as freezes! Has to end task and close all apps and try again.... and they all open fine the second time.

Later he says he recommends taking out the batter for a sec and putting it back in every morning to reset and disabling S-voice and a bunch of other things.....

only foryou

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
When you feel lady try to clear your ram on your phone.. Use clean master or all in one app to do this job... They will definitely boost the speed..

Posted via the Android Central App

dtny1hk2

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
My family just for a note 4, s5 and a tab pro 8.4. Just scrolling through facebook just trying to load up many recent newsfeed posts, both the s5 and tab pro are lightning fast. I am surprised that the note 4, while some claim it is the best phone out there now, is lagging in app scrolling (internet, cnbc news app, facebook,... etc) I almost returned it for a same price iphone 6, until I changed the animation parameter to 0.5. I would rather see a phone to work well right out-of-the-box. I now am not sure if there is anything wrong with my phone, especially because the box was a little broken when the sales rep first took it out. And he insisted it was new and that's the last one they had. I read another post saying there may be bad batches because some people just found their note 4 perfect with no lag. I am still wondering if I should try to use this reason to exchange for another definitely new one. But I am afraid that I would end up getting one that has other problems that other people have experienced. sigh.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The phone lags all the time. Hit a contact to call someone. Lag. Click to open an app. Lag. It lags BADLY and I'm not sure why. Touch the recent apps button and select a different app, lag. It lags so long that it's almost necessary to restart the phone. Thought I was the only one.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you notice any battery drain issues after switching to ART? I tried it a couple of times with my Maxx and the battery life issues it caused were awful.

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually curious now if the lag has anything to do with how many apps one may have on their phone?

I have 344 installed apps plus a 64gb SD card installed with some apps moved to it. Like almost all my games.

Will this play a factor to lag?

Sent from The One and Only, Amazing---> Note 4<---

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to wipe mine, reload a few less apps and see what happens. There's no reason for YouTube to stutter when I'm sitting right next to my router! I believe that something is not right with my phone after reading how well everyone else's is working. I've had mine since day one and itv was never super fast...but now its just seeming buggy.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
It did for me last night. That was STRANGE. When I made the switch on my Maxx it only did that after the initial boot after making the change. Last night. It did it and recompiled 400+ apps. Then when it finished, I rebooted and it did it for 92 apps. Then I rebooted and it did it again for 92 apps. Why does it do that?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The phone lags all the time. Hit a contact to call someone. Lag. Click to open an app. Lag. It lags BADLY and I'm not sure why. Touch the recent apps button and select a different app, lag. It lags so long that it's almost necessary to restart the phone. Thought I was the only one.

As discussed on another forum, you either have a defective device, or you have app conflicts on your phone. Considering you have 400+ apps installed, there is a solid chance it is app conflict.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
As discussed on another forum, you either have a defective device, or you have app conflicts on your phone. Considering you have 400+ apps installed, there is a solid chance it is app conflict.

I don't have 400+ apps on my phone. Or at least not that many that I've installed. I have about 92.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It did for me last night. That was STRANGE. When I made the switch on my Maxx it only did that after the initial boot after making the change. Last night. It did it and recompiled 400+ apps. Then when it finished, I rebooted and it did it for 92 apps. Then I rebooted and it did it again for 92 apps. Why does it do that?

I don't have 400+ apps on my phone. Or at least not that many that I've installed. I have about 92.

No problem, I took your earlier post to mean you had 400+ apps installed.

Even 92 apps installed is enough to create potential conflicts though.

Have you done a factory wipe and tried to run the phone without any apps installed? That would be my suggestion, if you want to resolve this lag issue.

If it lags after a factory reset, you know it is a hardware issue and you need to get a warranty replacement.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Another cause of lag, very common I believe, is a faulty SD card. Remove it, if you have one, and see if the lag goes away.
If so then it is either the card itself or some file on the card. This has been the cause several time recently.
If that is not the case then I also vote for faulty device.
Good Luck!
Ron

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Are you kidding my note 4 is a beast as was the note 3 before it that's why it has 3 gigs of ram turn off your animations then get back with us I just love the note phones wasn't gonna upgrade so soon until I played with the note 4 at bb and wow its even better then my note 3 and the newer tw is so much nicer

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
To be honest the only lag i have is when hit the recent apps button. Everything else is ultra fast with no hiccups. Occasionally ill come across an app or two that dont like the Qhd resolution and freeze or crash, But remember the phone just came out. Like most phones its going to have some bugs especially because of the resolution but bugswill be ironed out with updates. Every phone ive had on release day has had bugs. Every phone.

About the ram dont worry about it. Android is excellent in Ram management. Its using it to make your apps load faster with less reloads. Thats what its there for. Its not windows style management where if you run out itll tell you.

Oh and another thing you need to do every once in a while is restart your phone and Close out open tabs no phone is perfect but the note 4 is pretty Darn close