Samsung brand flip cover case, and taking pictures

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised how much I like this case. I'm normally not a folio flip type cover case kind of a guy, but this one really is designed well, and ads some cool functionality.

Question. It has the clear plastic window on it. Do you guys fold the cover across the back, and take photos through the window, or do you find it decreases the quality of the image? I'm not seeing any difference, but was curious if you have.

Posted via the Android Central App

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I love the S View cases in general. Just a heads up, if you're going to use flash on the camera, best not to fold the cover back so it's not reflecting off the window.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't open it at all to take pics I do it right from the little window. Love this phone/case.

From my smokin' hot Note 4

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't open it at all to take pics I do it right from the little window. Love this phone/case.

Yeah, but when you do that, it takes a smaller square picture, instead of a nice 16x9

Posted via Android Central App

Juan Oz

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Do you guys know the reason for this? why would the picture have to mimic the square display screen. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Is there a way to change this?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys know the reason for this? why would the picture have to mimic the square display screen. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Is there a way to change this?

Well, obviously, because that's all you can see of the screen. You don't want to be taking a picture blindly just guessing what's in view.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
There should at least be the option. I can see the device being dropped while messing with the flap when taking pics. I have the case but do not like this issue. Case seems cumbersome in some aspects.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
There should at least be the option. I can see the device being dropped while messing with the flap when taking pics. I have the case but do not like this issue. Case seems cumbersome in some aspects.

I disagree. I think that would make for a lot of angry customers who had ruined pictures because they didn't realize or forgot the option was turned on. This is one instance when I think it's better not to have an option. There is greater downside than upside to it.

I've had an s-view cover on my Note 3 since soon after I got it and I've never had the slightest problem taking pictures with the flap open and I really like the option to take them with it closed as well. You really don't have to do any messing with the flap when taking pictures with it open and it actually makes it easy to hold and get a grip on when taking a picture.

Anyway, I personally think they made the right decision to have the picture dimensions fit the s-view screen with it closed.

Naolin

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, obviously, because that's all you can see of the screen. You don't want to be taking a picture blindly just guessing what's in view.

Huh? that doesn't make any sense, the physical size of the screen (in this case the hole in the cover), should have no effect on your field of view.

What is happening is that they are not re sizing the imaging but rather taking a short cut and only showing you the same size as it would appear on your phone's screen and just passing it through to the hole, and cutting the picture to the size of the hole! LOL

You can already re-size the screen for your camera when you multitask and have a smaller window and see a full picture in a smaller screen. Maybe there is reason this isn't possible, maybe it's just them taking a shortcut, no idea. But don't try to sell people on it being "better".

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Huh? that doesn't make any sense, the physical size of the screen (in this case the hole in the cover), should have no effect on your field of view.

What is happening is that they are not re sizing the imaging but rather taking a short cut and only showing you the same size as it would appear on your phone's screen and just passing it through to the hole, and cutting the picture to the size of the hole! LOL

You can already re-size the screen for your camera when you multitask and have a smaller window and see a full picture in a smaller screen. Maybe there is reason this isn't possible, maybe it's just them taking a shortcut, no idea. But don't try to sell people on it being "better".

I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything. I couldn't care less if anyone else uses an S-view case. I love mine. Other people should get something they like.

You (I assume you are the same person under another username) asked for an explanation and I gave you one. And no, what you suggest is not practical at all. If the picture view was proportional to the whole screen and made to fit into the s-view window, the resulting rectangle would be so small as to not be able to see if it anything was in focus. I'm just using common sense here, no need to sell anything.

Naolin

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything. I couldn't care less if anyone else uses an S-view case. I love mine. Other people should get something they like.

You (I assume you are the same person under another username) asked for an explanation and I gave you one. And no, what you suggest is not practical at all. If the picture view was proportional to the whole screen and made to fit into the s-view window, the resulting rectangle would be so small as to not be able to see if it anything was in focus. I'm just using common sense here, no need to sell anything.

I have one as well, and I do like it for the most part. I'm using common sense as well. The rectangle is big enough to be able to view exactly what you need to take a good picture. I have a Flip Camera with a slightly smaller screen that you can see perfectly what your recording, I also have a gopro4 silver with the touchscreen, this time much smaller then the rectangle on the s-view that I can see perfectly what kind of picture I will be taking. These are just two examples, keep in mind that you are just using the screen to line up the picture, you can always view it in it's entirety by opening up the phone. Hell, the previous versions of the gopro didn't even have a screen and people still managed to take the pictures they wanted.

But fair enough, I can see that you like the extremely cropped pictures and that works for you, I personally don't. My argument was simply that it will come down to a matter of what you are ok with, not the fact that the s-views hole is too small, because it really isn't.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I had the s-view case for 2 weeks. It's nice and slim but...I hate to have to flip it most of the time. It won't protect the phone well if you drop it.

I replaced it with a crystal clear case and super slim, but better protection and more convenience.

LukeJM93

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd be all over this case of you could still see the Notification LED when it's closed.

As for this camera debate it makes sense to me that it takes the photo as a square rather than a rectangle. If it were to take the photo as a rectangle you wouldn't be able to see all of the shot in the S view window.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd be all over this case of you could still see the Notification LED when it's closed.

As for this camera debate it makes sense to me that it takes the photo as a square rather than a rectangle. If it were to take the photo as a rectangle you wouldn't be able to see all of the shot in the S view window.

This type of mod isn't for everyone but in case anyone is interested in doing it on their Note 4 case, here is how I did it on my Note 3 case: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...modification-note-3-s-view-case-show-led.html

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
This type of mod isn't for everyone but in case anyone is interested in doing it on their Note 4 case, here is how I did it on my Note 3 case: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...modification-note-3-s-view-case-show-led.html
Omg this! I'd do it if I wasn't scared and had a drill but really why didn't they just put a hole there? The notification light is one of the main reasons I stick with samsung. I love the s view but the lack of notification led bothers me. Guess my new moto 360 will remedy that...

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I want to get the plum/red but can't find it in stock anywhere :(

Samsung SView Flip Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cell Phones Red SAMSUNG T S-VIEW PLUM RED - Best Buy

Also, if you don't need it immediately and you want to get it half off on Samsung.com, my experience with them is that they typically get backordered items back in stock within a week, even though they say 4 weeks as their default time. Of course there's no guarantee of that so you may just want to go with the Best Buy link above.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Samsung SView Flip Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cell Phones Red SAMSUNG T S-VIEW PLUM RED - Best Buy

Also, if you don't need it immediately and you want to get it half off on Samsung.com, my experience with them is that they typically get backordered items back in stock within a week, even though they say 4 weeks as their default time. Of course there's no guarantee of that so you may just want to go with the Best Buy link above.

Thanks! I ordered through Best buy!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My Note 4 is currently naked and I was thinking about getting the Sview cover, but wow $50.....BUT, I just received a 50% off Coupon from Samsung for registering my device, so I may just go ahead and get it.....not thrilled with the color choices

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty