Is your case scratching the chamfered aluminum edge on your Note 4?

91DBrown

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Simple enough, those of us following the Spigen UC case thread have been finding that the beveled edges of the phone are getting scratched up. So now I would like to open the discussion up to the entire community. Please let us know if you notice any small scratches in the aluminum siding on your phone and what case you are using. I figure we can figure out if it is just a problem with spigen cases, or a bigger problem of small debris getting between the case and the phone from normal daily use. Posted below is an example of the tiny scratches I found around the edge of my phone. They are only really noticeable at the right angle under direct light, but worrying nonetheless.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 20141025_183846.jpg
    20141025_183846.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 554

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The scratches are likely caused by debris getting between the case and the metal. The same thing occurred back on the iPhone 5 with "scuffgate" and I also encountered small scratches on the HTC M8's chamfered edge. This is just what happens when using a device with metal.

Sent from my LG G3

91DBrown

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
The scratches are likely caused by debris getting between the case and the metal. The same thing occurred back on the iPhone 5 with "scuffgate" and I also encountered small scratches on the HTC M8's chamfered edge. This is just what happens when using a device with metal.

Sent from my LG G3

This is what I was figuring, thought I would open a new discussion before everyone points their fingers at company's such as spigen when it may very well just be due to the design. Thank you for your input!

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Had it a week and a half. Only took it off today to check for scratches.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4 using Tapatalk

Bluemiles23

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
The metal finish on my phone was scratched.I got this wallet case from Amazon.

Attachments

• image-95ba599e41f976d357a97057cd370aae4be5c89b179f65750119365087e93356-V.jpg
    image-95ba599e41f976d357a97057cd370aae4be5c89b179f65750119365087e93356-V.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 357

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the spigen capsule and yesterday at my store I took it off because we just received a few uag cases so I wanted to try it on but when I to the spigen off and noticed the scratches when I took it off.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Aluminum polish will remove and clean pretty much most of the abrasions referred to in this thread. I have several high end cars with high glossed billet aluminum stainless wheels / intakes/ parts etc...and I use Autosol.

#1920 - Autosol Anodized Aluminum Polish - 75ml Tube

I am always able to get the finish back to perfect using it, but you can use any decent aluminum polish to achieve the same results.

Fact is, that high-polish aluminum will ALWAYS scratch easily - so if you want to polish it back up again...you need to use a good polish and take your time so as not to damage surrounding parts.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Aluminum polish will remove and clean pretty much most of the abrasions referred to in this thread. I have several high end cars with high glossed billet aluminum stainless wheels / intakes/ parts etc...and I use Autosol.

I am always able to get the finish back to perfect using it, but you can use any decent aluminum polish to achieve the same results.

Fact is, that high-polish aluminum will ALWAYS scratch easily - so if you want to polish it back up again...you need to use a good polish and take your time so as not to damage surrounding parts.

I think it will be extremely difficult to use any polish just on the just the beveled edges of the metal frame without getting it on the "painted" portion of the frame. If that color gets damaged by the polish, there will be no easy way to get it back. Perhaps the painted part could be protected from getting polished by covering it first with a thin piece of masking tape. Do you think that would work, or might the removal of the tape afterwards damage the paint?

Posted via Android Central App

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I also have the Spigen UC, and it scratched the bezel. I had it on for about 5 days. Never took it off until I saw the original thread about this case causing scratches. I have an Otterbox Defender ordered that will be here tomorrow. Hopefully it will help prevent any more scratches.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone get's scratched like this too. It's just that most don't complain about it as long as that "Apple" logo is perfectly visible to others! :)

I also have micro scratches on mine too. I'm not gonna let it bother me too much because it's going to happen. Thin and polished soft aluminum is really hard to keep scratches from happening.....even in a case....all it takes is one sand particle to wreak havoc.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it will be extremely difficult to use any polish just on the just the beveled edges of the metal frame without getting it on the "painted" portion of the frame. If that color gets damaged by the polish, there will be no easy way to get it back. Perhaps the painted part could be protected from getting polished by covering it first with a thin piece of masking tape. Do you think that would work, or might the removal of the tape afterwards damage the paint?

I didn't say it would be easy! LOL Looking at it now, I'd think you could do it with Q-tips and a lot of patience. Masking tape would work for sure, but the entire process isn't something I'd do, personally.

I have a gorgeous 18 karate yellow gold ring with diamonds and the 1st time it scratched, the day I got it a few years ago, I took it back to the store - and the salesman told me that within a week, it'd be scratched far more, so I shouldn't fret over it. He was right. Impossible for it not to, so I just let it go. Pretty much how I feel about the phone...as long as I don't smash or dent it. I don't use a case or screen protector.

91DBrown

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

If you ever do this to your note it would be awesome to do a writeup for those of us less experienced than you!

InfinitiFX35

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Aluminum / Mag polish would clean up tiny scratches. I just polished a 3" to 4" duct adapter for a ring flash I am making for my dslr. It went from very flat looking aluminum to something that looks like it was chrome plated. I put on my Spigen Neo several times as I altered the case so both mic holes work correctly and do not see scratches as others described. Masking off the paint to polish the chamfered edge should work fine if you use painters tape for delicate surfaces. It should also not take long, your taping off a straight line. If the paint comes off, I would polish the entire band, then use steel wool to give it that brushed aluminum look.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the Note4 will easily scratch. Mentioned in a couple of reviews. I wish the sides were still silver.