Using the S-pen for note taking

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I went to S-note and selected the template with line paper in order to take meeting notes. I could write them in S-pen but they never converted to a neat print like when I send a text message.... in the messaging app it kind of takes my sloppy writing and straightens it up, but not in s-note. Am I missing a step?

MediC8tem

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I went to S-note and selected the template with line paper in order to take meeting notes. I could write them in S-pen but they never converted to a neat print like when I send a text message.... in the messaging app it kind of takes my sloppy writing and straightens it up, but not in s-note. Am I missing a step?

I was able to make it work by changing the options to automatically detect the s-pen and open the detection box. Then, select the icon to input text like you normally would with a keyboard and write away. Using it now. It is a bit of a pain in the neck at times but still an awesome tool. It does not like my script T's or o's

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I wish that it would pick up all of my cursive handwriting. That would make using the S-pen absolutely perfect.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

I think you have to be using the stock Samsung keyboard and select the settings by holding down the key next to the keyboard on the left (sorry I'm using SwiftKey at the moment). Choose handwriting to text and a handwriting keyboard will show where the keyboard normally would be and that's what will translate to text. I also don't use the stock messaging app so not sure how easy it is there.

Also, after handwriting your text you can use the selection tool and highlight your handwriting, then choose convert to and choose text. Not the best solution but it works pretty well. Maybe not for note taking.

Posted via the Android Central App

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I was able to make it work by changing the options to automatically detect the s-pen and open the detection box. Then, select the icon to input text like you normally would with a keyboard and write away. Using it now. It is a bit of a pain in the neck at times but still an awesome tool. It does not like my script T's or o's

Can you explain this in a little more detail? I think I get what you are saying but I want to make sure.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I think you have to be using the stock Samsung keyboard and select the settings by holding down the key next to the keyboard on the left (sorry I'm using SwiftKey at the moment). Choose handwriting to text and a handwriting keyboard will show where the keyboard normally would be and that's what will translate to text. I also don't use the stock messaging app so not sure how easy it is there.

Also, after handwriting your text you can use the selection tool and highlight your handwriting, then choose convert to and choose text. Not the best solution but it works pretty well. Maybe not for note taking.

Yes, you have to use the Samsung Keyboard in order to do it. I use Swiftkey when I am "thumbing" it with swype. When I pull out the S-Pen, I pull down the notification bar and switch the input to Samsung keyboard, and roll on with it like you describe.

I like being able to switch on the fly depending on what I'm doing.

Most of the time, I don't use the write to text function, I just jot down my notes in S-Note or OneNote and keep on going. I will clean it up later when I pull it down to my PC for use later.

If I use the write to text function, it is so I can share the doc with team members and not have to worry about translating my chicken scratch later.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Unless I'm misunderstanding the process, that didn't work for me.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I am using stock keyboard and made the suggested adjustments. I also tried filling in various templates then converting to text but it makes Just one text box. So the preferred formatting from the template is lost. :-(

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Ok. I think I finally got it! Just have to play around with the spacing and get used to it.