Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Volume going down to mute by itself while jogging....

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the headphones (cheap Samsung earbuds from my old GS3) or my Note 4. I get on the treadmill at the gym and suddenly the volume goes down as if the volume is being pressed. At first I thought it was my pocket, but then it did it in my hand too. I could visually see the volume slider just go all the way down and mute come on. It goes all the way down to mute. I was thinking, it could be the sweat effecting the headphones, as the volume control on the earbuds is right on my chest where I seem to sweat the most. I took the phone out of the case and checked the buttons. I even did a factory reset today just because and it did it again tonight. I'll have to see if I can find another set of earbuds around and try those at the gym next or try it tomorrow with some tape covering the inline controls as I really don't need them.

Oddly, I've only had this happen on the treadmill. Never when lifting weight or on the elliptical, but I don't sweat as much as I do on the treadmill.

Does this sound more like a short in the headphones or a problem with the phone? Anybody had this happen to them? I'm hoping it's the headphones. I must go through one pair a week. Usually one just stops working or something. This volume thing is strange. I hope it's just the earbuds.

I'm hoping Santa brings me a set of Bluebuds X and I won't have to worry about shorting them due to sweat.

** Edit: After some googling, I see this is a common thing on various Samsung devices. I'm still not ruling out the headphones in my case though as it doesn't happen when I'm streaming via bluetooth in the car or any other time.

Last edited:

geok#WN

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Volume going down to mute by itself while jogging....

I'm not sure if this is the headphones (cheap Samsung earbuds from my old GS3) or my Note 4. I get on the treadmill at the gym and suddenly the volume goes down as if the volume is being pressed. At first I thought it was my pocket, but then it did it in my hand too. I could visually see the volume slider just go all the way down and mute come on. It goes all the way down to mute. I was thinking, it could be the sweat effecting the headphones, as the volume control on the earbuds is right on my chest where I seem to sweat the most. I took the phone out of the case and checked the buttons. I even did a factory reset today just because and it did it again tonight. I'll have to see if I can find another set of earbuds around and try those at the gym next or try it tomorrow with some tape covering the inline controls as I really don't need them.

Oddly, I've only had this happen on the treadmill. Never when lifting weight or on the elliptical, but I don't sweat as much as I do on the treadmill.

Does this sound more like a short in the headphones or a problem with the phone? Anybody had this happen to them? I'm hoping it's the headphones. I must go through one pair a week. Usually one just stops working or something. This volume thing is strange. I hope it's just the earbuds.

I'm hoping Santa brings me a set of Bluebuds X and I won't have to worry about shorting them due to sweat.

** Edit: After some googling, I see this is a common thing on various Samsung devices. I'm still not ruling out the headphones in my case though as it doesn't happen when I'm streaming via bluetooth in the car or any other time.

It's the crappy headphones! I had the same situation a few times while jogging too.
I was using the headphones that came with the Note 4. It act like the volume - was pressed constantly until the phone went silent and no matter how many times I pressed the volume + when I stopped the volume start to fade out again!
Solution? I bought another set of headphones and the problem disappeared! No factory reset no nothing!
Try it and let us know ;)

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Volume going down to mute by itself while jogging....

Tried it out with my new Jaybird Bluebuds X and problem cured. Thanks!

It's amazing how much better decent headphones sound too. I don't have to turn the volume up full blast and I can actually block out the surrounding noise. Now, let's hope these headphones last me longer than a week or two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana