Samsung Galaxy Note 4 VZW Wifi SLOW, namely Facebook app, help?!

airhunt2

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, just got my Note 4 on Verizon and am having some serious issues while on wifi at home. Phone is not modified at all, completely stock. Just swapped it out for a new one today, but am getting same issues, so asking for your help. I have the Belkin N1 Vision router and have confirmed the firmware is up to date, even re-installed it last night. So, a few apps run super slow, those would include the Google Play Store, and namely Facebook. Slotomania is another culprit. I am using the Facebook app that was already on the phone, and during setup, I had to agree to let Samsung access stuff, etc. I'll open the app, and it takes FOREVER to load the news feed. Pics don't show up for a long time, I'm talking more then a minute. I can get on Chrome and get on Facebook just fine, loads up quickly. I can also use just my mobile data connection, and boom, loads even faster. So, what gives?? My Note Tablet (10.1" 2014 model) works just fine on these apps, my HTC Droid DNA works perfectly fine with these apps.... Settings currently on my Note 4 include Smart Network Switch UNCHECKED, Power saving off, Location mode High accuracy and Google location settings on (reporting and history are on). I have yet to download any outside apps that I have previously used on other devices, so I can safely rule out any foul play, heck, I haven't even downloaded contacts yet. Any ideas?

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: VZW Wifi SLOW, namely Facebook app, help?!

Dump the FB app and access through chrome work best IMO

Sent from my SM-P605

airhunt2

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

Guys, not really helpful here. I'm using the Facebook app fine on my Note tablet, etc. It's not just Facebook, it's a lot of my apps. Router settings perhaps?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It could be some settings -- the test would be ... Does this happen only on your wifi network or all wifi networks?

airhunt2

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

It could be some settings -- the test would be ... Does this happen only on your wifi network or all wifi networks?

Ok guys, tested on wifi network at work, perfect. So, clearly, something is up with the way my Note 4 gets signal from my home network/router. Any ideas as to settings, etc? Again, my old DNA phone and current Galaxy Note tablet work perfectly fine on this network.....Settings on my Note 4 perhaps? Ideas?

kpdx

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

I went through this exact same thing. It happened after a at&t update. Go to settings. Open Data Usage. Then open mobile data. A new upgrade called Enhanced 4g LTE services. Uncheck that box. Now go enjoy facebook again.

Posted via the Android Central App

airhunt2

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

Nope, don't have that particular setting on my version of the Note 4, I can simply uncheck mobile data, but there aren't settings under that. Either way, it's not so much my phone as I'm thinking it's my router settings that apply to the phone. Changing channels seemed to have helped a little here and there, but not enough to actually use wifi and call it good. Anyone good at router settings and feel like helping?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Nope, don't have that particular setting on my version of the Note 4, I can simply uncheck mobile data, but there aren't settings under that. Either way, it's not so much my phone as I'm thinking it's my router settings that apply to the phone. Changing channels seemed to have helped a little here and there, but not enough to actually use wifi and call it good. Anyone good at router settings and feel like helping?

Would you be able to screenshot your routers config page?

airhunt2

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

No go, went through each setting, nothing helped. I did change the channels one at a time, that seemed to improve things a tad, but not enough to call good.

DroidDaddy

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever find a solution to this? I picked up the Verizon Note Edge yesterday because of it's advertised 2x2 MIMO wifi feature thinking it would be just as fast as the Nexus 6 (which also has that feature.) However, the Nexus 6 just blows everything else away judging by the wifi speed reported via Network Signal Pro (app store). It literally gets about twice the speed.

The Note Edge is reporting about the same speed as others on Network Signal Pro, but running tests like OOKLA Speedtest, the Note Edge gets significantly worse download/upload speeds than any other phone I have for testing (iphone 6 plus, LG G3 and LG G2) it averaged about 9 Mbps over wifi when every other phone I have hit the 29~30 Mbps limit on my cable connection for the download result.

I just got the phone yesterday and am not sure I'm willing to wait past the 14-day return limit for a possible software fix since it might be a hardware design flaw.

TIA

Update: Nevermind, apparently it's a just a bit buggy, this morning after noticing wifi wasn't working, I restarted it and am now getting speeds rivaling the Nexus 6 on both Network Signal Pro and SpeedTest. Even though I had restarted wifi yesterday and also rebooted the phone it didn't work then, but it's good for now. Hopefully they'll fix it with a software update over the next few months.

Last edited:

airhunt2

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Glad you got yours working. I was unable to fix my situation with my current router so I scrapped it and got a new ASUS AC router. I got the RT-AC87R and things work blissfully! I guess the Note4 didn't like my Belkin N1 Vision router, that's all I can think of.

gravitybear

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the EXACT same problem. Apps are slow to load, but webpages using chrome on my Note 4 are not. I have tried everything and I dont know what else to do.

I have verizon FIOS and their router (so I dont think I can upgrade).

The things I've tried:

Enabling IPV6 on router
changing channel on wifi
forget/reconnect network
restart router
upgrade/downgrade router firmware
restart phone
clearing cache of apps
reinstalling apps
downloaded a cleaner app (cleansweep) and cleaned whatever junk it found
logged out/logged in to apps

Anyone else having this problem and have any other ideas? Also my verizon fios router is the Actiontec MI424WR.

lemongrass#IM

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I also had Wifi issues with my new T-Mobile Note 4, tried all router config changes,
but the only way I fixed it was to get a new router (TP-Link Archer C2 - not the best
range, but perfectly fine for my small apt. and great feature set for the price),
no problems since. Also fixed my 'connection unstable' issues on my old Note 3.
My only concern is that other devices worked fine with my old Router, the Note's
are very picky and except at home you have no control over the Router
(on Amtrak for example), Samsung really needs to address this asap,
it's long overdue as it was a well known issue on the Note 3 as well.
as well

gravitybear

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
unfortunately with FIOS I cant get a new router, is there any setting that I should try? Has anyone discovered a solution other than buying a new router?

gravitybear

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
ugh, I dont want to set up a bridge for my whole house just for this one device, everything else works fine. I wonder what the actual source of the problem is, that would help figure out a solution. Maybe Ill try changing the DNS server.

edit: nope

Any other ideas appreciated.

Last edited:

Vorticon

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
This is what I did when I had the same problem less than a week ago. Using a paper clip I pressed the reset button on the back of the router for a good 30 seconds. This will reset the router back to the factory default.
After that I went through the whole process of inputting my wifi password, SSID and channel the way I had originally.
So far my phone is loading Facebook, Instagram, Google Play store, etc. pretty much instantly.
Hope this helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89