***UNIVERSAL BACKUP for ENTIRE ANDROID****

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
When I moved from a Note 2 to a Note 4, I used the Samsung Switch app......it wasn't completely perfect, I had to re-download a few apps and such, but it did a pretty damn good job.

I didn't know about it when I moved to note 4, but the problem i see with the app is let's say u already sold your old phone and u don't have your new phone quite yet (back ordered, delayed, etc). I think the switch app requires u to have both the phones physically present.
Yes, you are correct, it does require having both phones next to each other to transfer from one to the other with that app. Sorry that didn't help you out! I hope you are able to find a solution that works.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Wht does it means when a back up app only backs up "apk files" of all your apps but not app settings ?

I get the app settings part, but what are they "apk files"? is it just that particular version of the app?

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Wht does it means when a back up app only backs up "apk files" of all your apps but not app settings ?

I get the app settings part, but what are they "apk files"? is it just that particular version of the app?
APK is the extension used by Android for and Application file. Like Windows .exe for an executable.
All applications have a file with the APK extension.
Good Luck!
Ron

hamsterwheel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
So help me understand this, as I am totally new to Android. Been with BlackBerry forever. With BB, they have a desktop program, right now it's Link for BB10 devices, which will do a full back up of your device (apps, data, media etc - which includes texts, contactsand everything). You can then choose to restore the whole backup or select what you want. Handly when switching devices, or getting new ones etc (as long as they are BB10. BBOS had desktop manager which did the same thing).

Is there not something similar with Android? Is that what I'm reading here? So if I want to do a backup of my device, what do I do? Get this Kies app? Or is there something already on the phone? Thanks and appreciate any help.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
That was Pretty gutsy in an Android Forum and on a Samsung Note 4 thread!

And why is it "gutsy" to say it like it is? This whining and yelling (use of all caps) really shows a lack of manners and common sense. And it unnecessarily takes up bandwidth that could be used for something constructive as well as being boring to everyone else. If one has a question, ask the question. Ask for assistance. Ask for suggestions. One doesn't need to act like a petulant child to accomplish any of the above.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That was Pretty gutsy in an Android Forum and on a Samsung Note 4 thread!

And why is it "gutsy" to say it like it is? This whining and yelling (use of all caps) really shows a lack of manners and common sense. And it unnecessarily takes up bandwidth that could be used for something constructive as well as being boring to everyone else. If one has a question, ask the question. Ask for assistance. Ask for suggestions. One doesn't need to act like a petulant child to accomplish any of the above.
I did not use all caps and I was not whining and yelling. My response was properly written to make a comment in a proper way. The OP was looking for help to transfer information from one Android phone to another Android phone; a Note 4 which he obviously has already purchased! So as far as your comment of 'unnecessarily taking up band width'; you think your post was helpful to tell him to buy a completely different phone, verses helping him with what he really needed help with on a phone he is asking about?

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I did not use all caps and I was not whining and yelling. My response was properly written to make a comment in a proper way. The OP was looking for help to transfer information from one Android phone to another Android phone; a Note 4 which he obviously has already purchased! So as far as your comment of 'unnecessarily taking up band width'; you think your post was helpful to tell him to buy a completely different phone, verses helping him with what he really needed help with on a phone he is asking about?

Relax...his "anger" at all caps was pointed @ me....and I apologize cuz I just have a habit of writing in All caps!

But as for his "bandwith usage"...Trust me, I had used more than enough Bandwith when I was trying to find a solution to this problem. And to you this problem might be a small one, but for me it was a Big one...when I migrated from My old Android phone, I LITERALLY had sleepless nights trying to figure out a way to transfer my data from the old phone to the new one.

I had tried a whole bunch of apps, but most of them were so limited in what I could do. Either I had to pay or root my phone.

I am buying a Supreme Android device...and the whole concept of paying to transfer from one phone to another doesn't do justice with me! And even after paying, I have read mixed reviews from ppl on the premium version of these apps!

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
So help me understand this, as I am totally new to Android. Been with BlackBerry forever. With BB, they have a desktop program, right now it's Link for BB10 devices, which will do a full back up of your device (apps, data, media etc - which includes texts, contactsand everything). You can then choose to restore the whole backup or select what you want. Handly when switching devices, or getting new ones etc (as long as they are BB10. BBOS had desktop manager which did the same thing).

Is there not something similar with Android? Is that what I'm reading here? So if I want to do a backup of my device, what do I do? Get this Kies app? Or is there something already on the phone? Thanks and appreciate any help.

Yes...u r right...Like the BB system or the icloud, Unfortunately android Lacks BIG TIME in this area. Kies doesn't backup app data as I confirmed this with the Samsung tech. There is Literally NO app out there that can back up SMS, pics, app data, contacts, call logs, etc etc by just push of a button...U either have to have your phone rooted or pay for a premium app to do this. Most ppl are OK paying for an app, but even after than I have read mixed reviews of the paid version. I know gmail backs up your pics, call logs, contacts, etc, u have to get a different app for SMS...but the big thing for me is app data, cuz gmail will back up your apps and will download all your previous apps in your new phone, but all the settings u have within that app will be lost. And the latest version of the apps will be downloaded, which sometimes still have bugs in 'em!

So the take away point is...Hopefully Samsung or Google comes out with something better on this! in the mean time, let's hope you don't loose your phone or your phone doesn't crash!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Seems it is a difficult task to accomplish with Android. BB is the same across all models, Apple is same across all models and then you have Android with tons of different manufacturers. Even though they all run Android they all operate differently.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Seems it is a difficult task to accomplish with Android.

This literally depends on the user's paranoia about sharing info with, in the main, Google's servers......

I use my Android devices to supplement my fieldwork and all surveys/audits/investigations I do are backed up to cloud services from where I access it from PC. Here i either delete from the cloud service depending on sensitivity to the client.

Personal stuff such as my wife's BP readings I use Helium pro. It has not let me down yet. Maildroid backs up my email to the external sd card that gets transferred via ES file explorer to the PC.

The few games, progress google play takes care of. Whatsback pro Backup my whatsapp conversations.

I have used this basic format over 4 different devices since 2012. Once setup the backup and naturally restoration takes very little effort.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This literally depends on the user's paranoia about sharing info with, in the main, Google's servers......

I use my Android devices to supplement my fieldwork and all surveys/audits/investigations I do are backed up to cloud services from where I access it from PC. Here i either delete from the cloud service depending on sensitivity to the client.

Personal stuff such as my wife's BP readings I use Helium pro. It has not let me down yet. Maildroid backs up my email to the external sd card that gets transferred via ES file explorer to the PC.

The few games, progress google play takes care of. Whatsback pro Backup my whatsapp conversations.

I have used this basic format over 4 different devices since 2012. Once setup the backup and naturally restoration takes very little effort.
I think what I meant was a general one stop all around single transfer type tool that covers everything. I personally don't have an issue and very happy with Android. The Samsung Switch app did a pretty good job for me. No it doesn't save the progress of some games per say.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I think what I meant was a general one stop all around single transfer type tool that covers everything. I personally don't have an issue and very happy with Android. The Samsung Switch app did a pretty good job for me. No it doesn't save the progress of some games per say.

Yes exactly..tht's what I was referring to!
And honestly i didn't know about Samsung Switch app when I switched from my old Samsung to Note 4...It's funny cuz I spent so much "bandwith" researching this topic, but no one suggested the switch app for me. But again, tht's only when we want to go to another device..but for backing up our device, we still are in this loop!

I understand that Android has many different cell phone manufacturers and it's difficult. Oh well I guess I will have to make use with the tools I have!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Prior to moving to Note 2 to Note 4, I tried to find out what the most current tool was to transfer from one to the other with least amount of hassle.... Then my guy at the Costco VZW suggested the Samsung Switch app and he help me do it when my Note 4 arrived. I had no idea of the app either till he suggested it.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
in order to get my Note 4, i had to trade in the old Samsung phone i had for that promotion going on from Best buy!
Did you hand it over in the store and then get handed the Note 4, or have to mail in? If the whole transaction took place in the store, they really should have helped you and suggested that app. Best Buy is supposed to actually have Samsung employees working there. I found that out at the CES show last month.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
All of this is exactly why I am rooted and use Titanium Backup. I have it set to do automated backups of new and updated apps twice a week. It also keeps 2 copies of backups so if an app update destroys functionality I can easily restore to the previous version. Titanium Backup made the move from a GS3 to GS4 a much easier process. Main thing to keep in mind is not to try to use it for a 1 button restore when you are migrating to a newer model or different manufacturer and the Android version is different because you don't want to restore system level apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Did you hand it over in the store and then get handed the Note 4, or have to mail in? If the whole transaction took place in the store, they really should have helped you and suggested that app. Best Buy is supposed to actually have Samsung employees working there. I found that out at the CES show last month.

All the transaction took place @ the best buy store..I handed in my old Samsung phone, and walked out with the Note 4. Even though there was a Samsung area set up @ the store, I don't exactly remember if a Samsung employee was there..and honestly, those Samsung technicians @ best buy are not the most knowledgeable in my experience. I know more than them at times when I have walked in for help. Samsung lacks terribly in tech support. I highly doubt even if a tech was present there he would have recommended me about the app transfer!

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
All of this is exactly why I am rooted and use Titanium Backup. I have it set to do automated backups of new and updated apps twice a week. It also keeps 2 copies of backups so if an app update destroys functionality I can easily restore to the previous version. Titanium Backup made the move from a GS3 to GS4 a much easier process. Main thing to keep in mind is not to try to use it for a 1 button restore when you are migrating to a newer model or different manufacturer and the Android version is different because you don't want to restore system level apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yes I definitely see the positives to root here...And honestly it's sad to see that a phone must be rooted to use so many features.
I haven't had good experience with rooting in the past, hence I promised myself not to root any phone i get from here on. Plus the whole rooting process gives you so many errors (i have seen the process for Note 4), i just don't want to brick my phone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty