Keeps charging beyond 100?

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Recently my Note 4 has been charging beyond 100% (or at least according to the status bar). The unplug charger battery full message won't come on until 5 minutes or longer. Anyone else notice this? gsam battery says it's full but the phone hasn't alerted me yet.

Attachments

• 1424844023348.jpg
    1424844023348.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 85

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The "State of Charge" isn't really the SoC, it's the voltage across the battery terminals. (The true SoC can only be determined by taking the battery apart and chemically analyzing it - which also destroys it. Measuring the voltage is the best we can do - and it's an estimate, based on how we know lithium batteries work.) When the charger is connected, the terminal voltage on the battery is higher, so when it says 100% on the status bar, it's not yet fully charged. The phone waits until the voltage gets to the "100% with the charger attached" point before telling you that it's fully charged. (At which point, charging stops, so you don't have to yank the charger out. Leaving it plugged in for another month won't do any damage.)

If you unplug the charger the moment the status bar hits 100%, you'll probably notice the indicator drop to 99% very quickly. That's because that was the true SoC.

(BTW, what email app are you running? I'm running the same one, but I can't find a link to it anywhere, or any reference to it in the phone, except the icon.)

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I had no idea that battery charging was such a confusing and contentious issue for so many people.

I have no idea why people seem to over-think such a basic function of their phone. Just plug it in and don't worry about it.

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
(BTW, what email app are you running? I'm running the same one, but I can't find a link to it anywhere, or any reference to it in the phone, except the icon.)

Thank you for your detailed battery explanation! As for your email question: Just the stock email app the phone came with. It's great because I can use multi window with it. Tried others but the stock is best for email imo

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I had no idea that battery charging was such a confusing and contentious issue for so many people.

I have no idea why people seem to over-think such a basic function of their phone. Just plug it in and don't worry about it.

I slipped on ice and my Note went flying out of my hand this weekend. The bottom of my phone got scuffed, even in an Otterbox (hit the ground hard). It never did that until last night, which prompted me to ask other users in hopes that I didn't damage anything internally during my fall.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Cars are the same thing. Why the big deal about changing the oil? It still has oil, right? Just drive it.

If you want to keep buying new batteries, and complaining about the terrible battery life this phone or that update gives you, just "use" the phone (in quotes, because it's actually abuse, not use.). If you want the battery to outlast the phone, and get almost 2 days between charges from any phone in light to moderate use, learn how to use the phone.

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Cars are the same thing. Why the big deal about changing the oil? It still has oil, right? Just drive it.

If you want to keep buying new batteries, and complaining about the terrible battery life this phone or that update gives you, just "use" the phone (in quotes, because it's actually abuse, not use.). If you want the battery to outlast the phone, and get almost 2 days between charges from any phone in light to moderate use, learn how to use the phone.

Cars have have actual documented recommended maintenance intervals that aren't based on hearsay from anonymous internet people so that's a horrible comparison.

I had my S3 for over 2 years plugged in every night as it's my alarm clock. The battery still seems to hold the same amount of charge as it did when it was new. I have no idea why anyone would want or even think about wanting "the battery to outlast the phone". That doesn't even make sense.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

This makes no sense

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It isn't really 100% full when it reaches 100%.you can use battery monitor widget to log and see when the charging actually stops.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
For what it is worth, my Zerolemon battery spent probably 6+ hours at 100%. In the Zerolemon instructions it said to charge the battery for 12 hours. Didn't mention to unplug at 100% It did say to charge to 100& at least once a month.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I slipped on ice and my Note went flying out of my hand this weekend. The bottom of my phone got scuffed, even in an Otterbox (hit the ground hard). It never did that until last night, which prompted me to ask other users in hopes that I didn't damage anything internally during my fall.

I guess you could have changed the battery characteristics physically. I don't know how the battery is put together and of what material. I am sure if you smacked the battery with a hammer it would not charge the same as before you smacked it. Here is some reads for you though.

A Designers Guide to Lithium Battery Charging | DigiKey

Why lithium-ion-batteries fail

First one is a little dated but still good information.