Note 8 - Having issues charging when battery is under 30%

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have the Note 8 and sometimes when I plug my charger in when the battery is low (usually between 10% and 30%) I see the charging light come on but it won't actually charge as I'll come back an hour or 2 later and it'll actually be down 1-2% from when I plugged it in.

I'll have to plug and unplug it several times and wait 5 minutes or so to see if it goes up before I can comfortably leave it otherwise I won't know. I've tried different chargers/charging wirelessly and I get the same issue. It shows charging but won't actually until I try it several times. I'm assuming this is a battery issue and not the charging port since wireless charging gets the same results?

Should my next step be just to have the battery replaced?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow you've actually done some testing and troubleshooting. Color me impressed. If you've tried different methods, cables and chargers with the same result there is a good chance that it is the battery. The way batteries work is they move electrons from negative to positive and along the way the electron is able to do some work. The most stable charge of a battery is 50% when the negative and positive poles of the battery have an equal amount of electrons. When either pole gets low on electrons it gets harder to push the electrons to the fuller pole. The number of cycles also plays a part and given that your device is over 3 years old it has probably seen quite a few charging cycles which also affects electron flow and capacity.

If you plan to keep the device I would say that it is probably time to replace the battery. I would recommend that if you plan to replace it, getting a quality battery. I doubt any of them will be very expensive but age affects batteries too and most were probably manufactured around the time the device was released. They haven't seen the charging cycles but sitting without seeing any cycles is almost as bad. By picking a quality battery with better components you're more likely to get the most life for your money.

If you would like to reply to this thread and receive notifications when others post comments please create an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d