Note 4: How to prevent automatic OS upgrade?

Douglas Yarnold

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a new Samsung Galaxy Note 4, OS 4.4
Ive read horror stories about problems following upgrading to the new Lollypop 5.0.
I dont want to upgrade to the new software, but every time I turn on WiFi, it automatically starts downloading.
How do I prevent that?

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Ive read horror stories about problems following upgrading to the new Lollypop 5.0.
I dont want to upgrade to the new software, but every time I turn on WiFi, it automatically starts downloading.
How do I prevent that?

The same exact thing happened to me when I upgraded to Lollipop about a month ago. I just left my WIFI off until I read through the forums. Luckily I haven't had a single issue with the update as my battery life is increased and my phone is noticeably faster.

I know on a AT&T Note 4 there is no way to stop automatic updates without tripping Knox and I wasn't going to do that. It's a shame too because you shouldn't be forced to update your software if you don't want to.

Most of the horror stories are because people refuse to clear their system cache or do a factory reset. I didn't have issues before I did both but I did it anyway.

Posted Via AT&T Note 4

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
How do I prevent that?

I believe it's the T-Mobile version Note 4 that you can disable under Application Manager. It's called "software update" with an orange device icon.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I updated as soon as I bought my phone so it never ran 4.4. No issues with lollipop at all that I've noticed. I'm on Verizon. Not sure if you can stop that notification or not though. I've had that before when I didn't want to update and it's annoying.

Sent from my Note 4

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
How do I prevent that?

Update and take the risk. It works for a lot of people. Mainly people who have problems post on here. Don't believe everybody has issues.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

chrisgianti

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Just to let you all know, I had issue with the update. Phone became slow and buggy, screwy overall (when though it was updated on WiFi, seemed like dirty software). But since there's a Samsung service center in every best buy, took it over there, they installed the OS using a computer and it worked great after that. However, the thing that really socks sh*t about this update is that you can't easily disable mobile network with one touch of an button, no matter what app you try. The idiots at Google love to f*ck with our minds and do stuff to **** us off with crap updates tweaking stuff for the worse that doesn't need to be changed. And their safe locations or safe Bluetooth devices never works for me in any phone. A**holes. :/