How to correctly restore with new upgrade

andreah1

Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
Upgrading from a S20 to a S22, haven't turned it on yet as I want to be sure to transfer my information correctly. I have used smart switch before but when reading directions for the S22 as it walked thru each step I wondered how I do this without duplicating information, etc. There was a step that essentially said to click either yes or no to have google transfer your information (contacts, apps, data, messages, etc.). Should I click yes for that and then use smart switch after? Will it duplicate? I use vzw message+ for texting and want to be sure all my messages come over on to the new phone. I know photos and apps and such will show up once I sign into my google account. I thought I read somewhere that mms may not come over with smart switch which concerns me and makes me think maybe I should click yes when it asks to have google bring everything over? Just not sure and probably overthinking but seriously want to make sure I do things right and not end up with double messages and stuff like that. Hope I'm making sense!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Galaxy S forum (for the ancient original Galaxy S phone) to the S22 forum.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the community!
Smart switch using in the device not PC ?
Sign into your Google account , and when use smart switch app go to default message app first and use that for transfer then go back to Verizon+ as it should repopulate everything

andreah1

Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
Yes, using old device, not pc. So I assume the default message app will be samsung messages....pick that? I don't know why this seems so confusing to me, ugh. When I first turn on the new phone should I NOT pick to have google transfer? In looking at the instructions I think that's one of the questions that come up after you turn on the phone.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Yes, using old device, not pc. So I assume the default message app will be samsung messages....pick that? I don't know why this seems so confusing to me, ugh. When I first turn on the new phone should I NOT pick to have google transfer? In looking at the instructions I think that's one of the questions that come up after you turn on the phone.
after declining Google as your transfer source, Smart Switch will walk you through the rest of the process. and after that is complete, your new phone will continue to apply the settings from your old one. don't get in a rush

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes but google restore does limited things where Samsung does more , definitely do both google and Samsung , yes Samsung message app choose default after everything gets transferred move to Verizon+ messages

I also use the smart switch pc which backs up.evertthing including pictures and can restore backup any time and make multiple , important Data should be saved multiple places

andreah1

Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
Yes but google restore does limited things where Samsung does more , definitely do both google and Samsung , yes Samsung message app choose default after everything gets transferred move to Verizon+ messages

I also use the smart switch pc which backs up.evertthing including pictures and can restore backup any time and make multiple , important Data should be saved multiple places

I thought I read that Samsung may not transfer mms messages (most important to me) where google will, I guess that's where I'm getting hung up. I do also use sms backup and restore so I have a backup backup, ha ha. Thanks notforhire and mustang7757 for clearing it up for me a bit. Charging new phone right now before I start and then will give it a try. I know where to come if I screw it up! :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I thought I read that Samsung may not transfer mms messages (most important to me) where google will, I guess that's where I'm getting hung up. I do also use sms backup and restore so I have a backup backup, ha ha. Thanks notforhire and mustang7757 for clearing it up for me a bit. Charging new phone right now before I start and then will give it a try. I know where to come if I screw it up! :)
When you sign into your Samsung account in the device and go to back up or restore it say what can be backed up.Screenshot_20220905_112510_Samsung%20Cloud.jpg

andreah1

Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
Looks like everything worked fine! My only disappointment is the s22 is slightly smaller than the s20 and besides that there are really no differences. Glad I paid next to nothing!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia