Why does my Samsung Note 4 keeps restarting?

Civilian_Again

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Talking to Samsung is infuriating. Even the "supervisors" only know how to read scripts and have no process for further escalation. Ultimately they told me that while yes, they admit it is probably a manufacturer defect brought to light by the update, I'm out of warranty and manufacturer defects are only covered under warranty --- per their policy. Seriously?! Aren't there laws on the books to protect consumers against these sort of smarmy operating practices? Why doesn't every manufacturer just write in a 'fail day after warranty expires' function in their code and just point to their policy??? I hate you Samsung... I hate you so much right now. I might just have to go order an ASUS phone tonight and leave samsungs in the rear-view...... oh how I despise how they treat customers...

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
P.S. To those saying just because this issue hasn't hit you (nahoku), it isn't 'widespread' --- you're absolutely incorrect.
It all depends on your definition of "what exactly" is widespread. The OP is posting about a possible battery problem. Is that what's widespread? diaperback may be talking about a thread that encompasses MM, apps, batteries, SD cards, or a thread where someone had a intermittent stuck power button... is that widespread? You're posting about MM and the fact that Samsung won't fix your out of warranty phone... is that widespread? What exactly is widespread?

MM is a new OS, and just like when LP came out, it too had bugs in it. Until the carriers fix those bugs in updates, some people are going to see problems... but not everyone. Heaven only knows if all Note 4's are going to see the same problems as at the time this thread started only Sprint had MM. When all carriers dish out MM, more posts will be created with more reports of problems people see. It's a never ending thing... and it's not just Samsung.

Civilian_Again

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
It all depends on your definition of "what exactly" is widespread. The OP is posting about a possible battery problem. Is that what's widespread? diaperback may be talking about a thread that encompasses MM, apps, batteries, SD cards, or a thread where someone had a intermittent stuck power button... is that widespread? You're posting about MM and the fact that Samsung won't fix your out of warranty phone... is that widespread? What exactly is widespread?

MM is a new OS, and just like when LP came out, it too had bugs in it. Until the carriers fix those bugs in updates, some people are going to see problems... but not everyone. Heaven only knows if all Note 4's are going to see the same problems as at the time this thread started only Sprint had MM. When all carriers dish out MM, more posts will be created with more reports of problems people see. It's a never ending thing... and it's not just Samsung.

word games and semantics.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Talking to Samsung is infuriating. Even the "supervisors" only know how to read scripts and have no process for further escalation. Ultimately they told me that while yes, they admit it is probably a manufacturer defect brought to light by the update, I'm out of warranty and manufacturer defects are only covered under warranty --- per their policy. Seriously?! Aren't there laws on the books to protect consumers against these sort of smarmy operating practices? Why doesn't every manufacturer just write in a 'fail day after warranty expires' function in their code and just point to their policy??? I hate you Samsung... I hate you so much right now. I might just have to go order an ASUS phone tonight and leave samsungs in the rear-view...... oh how I despise how they treat customers...

While I agree with you that the policy of "sorry but you are out of warranty" absolutely blows, and while I admire your effort of taking a stand against Samsung, please note that ASUS has the same policy, as I am sure all the other manufacturers have. So yes while it sucks that the consumer gets $crewed again, this is what keeps these companies in business and innovating, since you can't hold on to your phone forever. (again not defending Samsung, just being realistic). Good luck to you.

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem on and off for several months. After the Feb security update (still on original battery) the phone started randomly and frequently either shutting down or rebooting. After doing some research I bought a new aftermarket battery (Anker) as my battery life on the original was starting to drop after 18 months of use. Problem solved on the reboots, battery life restored, all happy. Then about 2 weeks ago right around the time of the last security update (not sure if just before or after, but think after) it started again. Random and frequent reboots. I wiped the cache, tried different normal troubleshooting. Still doing. Did some reading and thought maybe some issue with the battery? Put the old original battery back in and reboot stopped, but battery life sucks. Went and bought another aftermarket battery (Onite) and the issue is gone. No reboots, battery life is back and fairly good (not as good as original/new but hey). Note 4 has been great phone, only had these issues in the last few months.

I am due for a new phone this fall, and want the Note 6...probably. But I'm also ready to leave sprint and get on Project Fi...and they only have nexus phones currently so I will have to see.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem on and off for several months. After the Feb security update (still on original battery) the phone started randomly and frequently either shutting down or rebooting. After doing some research I bought a new aftermarket battery (Anker) as my battery life on the original was starting to drop after 18 months of use. Problem solved on the reboots, battery life restored, all happy. Then about 2 weeks ago right around the time of the last security update (not sure if just before or after, but think after) it started again. Random and frequent reboots. I wiped the cache, tried different normal troubleshooting. Still doing. Did some reading and thought maybe some issue with the battery? Put the old original battery back in and reboot stopped, but battery life sucks. Went and bought another aftermarket battery (Onite) and the issue is gone. No reboots, battery life is back and fairly good (not as good as original/new but hey). Note 4 has been great phone, only had these issues in the last few months.

I am due for a new phone this fall, and want the Note 6...probably. But I'm also ready to leave sprint and get on Project Fi...and they only have nexus phones currently so I will have to see.
Anker has a fairly good reputation with returns and support. I would contact them to see if you can get a replacement battery. Also, AC, or rather their store, sometimes have the Note 4 battery on sale for $16.95 (normally $26.95). The battery is OEM so it doesn't come with a battery case. I've purchased a replacement from them and it works as it should.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
it started for me weeks before MM. Actually smoothed out after MM, then something else happened a week later and my SD card was rendered useless (samsung 64g) and my phone is a brick now. I first noticed it with Snapchat. I had a friend with an iphone 4 or 5 and Snapchat made her phone not work. Something about that app. bet it runs flawless on an iphone6 tho.

chiptown

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Reporting that my Note 4 has also been randomly rebooting also. Primary during viewing emails, or after being idle for awhile . The Note 4 has been a great phone until the last software update. Thought it was the battery. Purchased a new one . Now battery life is great, but phone still randomly reboots. I am a T Mobile user who has responded to problems in the past, not sure way they have not stepped in???
Any way to uninstall the update??

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Same same with me on my Note 4. And I'm on ATT. limping along until I buy a new one. Note7? Maybe not given what's happening to my barely one year old Note4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Randal F

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Same same with me on my Note 4. And I'm on ATT. limping along until I buy a new one. Note7? Maybe not given what's happening to my barely one year old Note4.

Posted via the Android Central App

My Sprint note 4 worked great until the MM update, then all hell broke loose! Phone would randomly shut down, sometimes as soon as i unplugged it from the charger. Sometimes you could pull the battery and reset it, other times the only way to get it to boot was to plug it back in! MANY times while still showing 100% battery! And any % till 0% sometimes it will run for hours others, like now i have to be plugged into power or it shuts off within moments. Another interesting issue is i live outside the coverage area for sprint. Not by much.. been using there airrave with my internet, upgraded the rest the family to the s7 so we switched to wifi calling . My note 4 had been working fine on the wifi calling until about the same time, i also started getting system network unavailable messages . Basically every time i switched to roam the radio inside the phone would fail the note 4 has 2 radios so you can internet and call at same time, the newer notes ,5 and upcoming 7 (there is no note6) only have 1.
So with no roam and no wifi calling i had no phone! At least 9 hours on the phone with sprint, (problems were just being reported ) 2 phones 1 battery MANY factory resets, sprint was very accommodating, made rite my losses and inconvenience, granted I'm dealing with the note 4 and its issues, replacing the phone did fix the wifi calling but nothing else, i walk around with one of those pocket chargers attached to it and it stays on! I'll be getting the note7 when they are available. ...soon i hope! But the bottom line is there doesn't appear to be a fix, and its not ALL the note 4's just random (except mine! Lol) Good luck;

Last edited:

tnnsxace

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Maybe two weeks ago or so, I started having issues with my Note 4 after the MM update. My auto brightness and screen rotation stopped working from out of nowhere, and I had some other issues with it. I got it replaced, and everything was all good and dandy for a couple of weeks after getting the replacement device. However, these past few days, I've been having issues with the screen. Even when the battery charge being high, my screen just turns off for a reason. It won't turn on no matter whether I press the home button or power button. The only solution I have is by taking out the battery, then putting it back in again and then powering back on. I have a space battery and replaced the old one, yet the issue still persists. I'm not sure if it's one of the apps I have, but I haven't downloaded anything new since I got the replacement phone. Just ordered a new battery because I'm hoping that's what the issue is, otherwise, I'm so done with this phone and can't wait til I can upgrade.

Brendan Dwyer

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
POSIBLE Fix. well it reduced the crashing.

so i live in aus and only just started having the issue. i am away from home and have a note 7 waiting for me when i return next week. anyway i needed to make my phone last a bit longer.... here we go.

Summary ()
use odin3
load a stock rom from samsung or sammobile.
at the same time grab yourself a pit file and rewrite the partition at the same time.

i think this was the fix but here is my full story in as much dot points as possible.

1) factory reset. (went ok)
2) tried to re install the updates but it failed alot. eventualy i got it up dated but its still buggy.
3) downloaded stock 6.0.1 from sammobile
4) fired up odin3 and Flash arrrrharrrr master of my mobile (it went fine)

5) at this point i noticed that all my apps were on there but it seemed to improve.
6) factory reset - wipe cache - strait into odin3 (it failed)
- its at this point that my phone is bricked. i was able to get into download mode but thats it. odin mode was a the yellow 2 screens and a triangle. odin3 kept failing on a file called hidden.img.ect4.

a few hours passed searching the net and reading and looking for files.
all attempts at using keis were horrible. sigh.

7)(let there be life) i read a few point that the partition needed to be re written so after hours i found the right pit file for my phone . then i opened the rom i was trying to flash with winrar. and i simply deleted hidden.img.ect4 then using 7zip packaged it all back into a tar format (yes this seems crazy)

8) Flash arrrrharrrr master of my mobile! Flashed the rom ad the Pit file at the same time. it did fail once or twice on the system file but i gave it a rest and Boom it loaded.

9) reset the phone. now it didnt load. but i scraped part of the rom so i didn't have much hope. but i was able to get into the modle and do a factory reset. not sure why but on firing up the reset it loaded 6.0.1.

10) it still crashes every now and then sometimes it locks up for a little bit but its alot better.

conclusion. i have no idea what helped. i feel it could be an issue with the partition. i would like play with it more but that will wait till next week.

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
My phone keeps restarting too. I have an AT&T note 4 with 5.1.1. I replaced the battery and tried clearing the cache but that hasn't helped. It's been getting worse too because it was doing it once a week now it does it multiple times per day.

base311

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Totally having the same problems after the forced marshmallow update back in June. Samsung verizon note 4. Reboots, hangs, won't boot, boots into recovery mode, long delays after pulling battery, the works.

New battery, no dice. Delete cache, wipe cache partition, factory resets, both at once, kies backup and restore, odin 3 flashes with sammobile recent marshmallow version and the one prior. Soft bricked it, but eventually got it going. Thought I had it sorted with a fresh stable (36hours) copy, then all hell broke loose when I loaded fb messenger. Big mistake. Another few wipes and another reflash or two later I'm back in business.... only to eventually encounter more reboots and freezes, this time sans messenger

I have not tried to root this device to try a custom OS. That's my next plan. After that I'm going to tape a brick to it and throw it through a verizon store window.

Can anyone recommend (point me in the direction of) a solid plan of action to root this device and also a stable custom os. Links?

Thanks

iamDaveM

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I am a Verizon customer using a Samsung Note 4 and I've also had tons of random reboots ever since I was upgraded to Marshmallow (in June, I think). It doesn't look like anyone has found out why it's happening yet from the searching I've done so far, but if anyone does get it figured out, I'd sure like to find out about it.
Sometimes my phone goes for days without the random reboots and other times it might happen several times in one day. Today it did it twice in about 30 minutes. The last time it happened I got down to only one try left to unlock my phone before it unlocked and I was being very careful to make sure I typed it in correctly. This OS is definitely not my favorite!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo