Why does my Note 4 always shut down when battery hits 30%?

Bill4310

May 1, 2016
Visit site
I have now noticed when my Note 4 hits 30% charge it automatically shuts off. Did i hit a setting by mistake for this to happen? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen with other batteries as well?

You could try calibrating the battery sensor software by charging up to 100%, then using the phone normally until it shuts off from low battery. Then charge back up to 100%, and repeat the cycle up to 3 times. Does it make a difference?

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue a few months back. I'm on Sprint and had the Sprint tech put the battery through their battery tester and it reacted the way yours did. I was under warranty hence they replaced the battery. I've been told by a few Sprint reps that this is a known issue.

Try what B.Diddy suggested above and if it doesn't work, you may need a new battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
While recalibrating the battery will help occasionally and is worth a try first, it's far more likely to be a dead cell or dendrite in the battery. Replacing the battery is pretty much it, unless something is actually wrong with the phone - and that is exceedingly rare.

Batteries wear out. Fortunately the Note 4 allows you to replace its battery, and it's very inexpensive.

ztalsii

May 2, 2016
Visit site
The Note 4 has been plagued with issues and I find it hard to believe that Samsung can act like they know nothing. Inferior equipment is what they are good at making.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Note 4 has been plagued with issues and I find it hard to believe that Samsung can act like they know nothing. Inferior equipment is what they are good at making.
What inferior equipment? My Note 3 batteries are 2-1/2 years old, and I still get full life out of them. ANY lithium battery will die quickly if you keep trying to get the last bit of power out of it. 40%, then recharge it. When I see people posting "the phone shuts off at 15%, I think "what else did you expect after months of that kind of abuse?"

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've read your posts but they've been nothing but complaints with no detail about what's happening with your Note 4. Perhaps if you create a new post we can help you with the problems you're seeing. It could be you just have a bad phone, but it could also be some of your apps don't like some updates, or settings, etc. We won't know unless you detail what's wrong with your Note 4.

As far as Samsung products being inferior, the monitor I'm typing this on is over 7 years old and all my TV's are Samsungs... all without problems. Samsung makes good products, but not all will be 100% good. But I do agree with you, they do act like they know nothing... just like any manufacture nowadays. You should try dealing with Sony sometimes! Same thing! I no longer buy Sony products.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's all focus on the question at hand, which is the battery issue. Remember that the battery itself isn't necessarily manufactured by Samsung, and that batteries can always fail for some reason or another, either due to a defect or to user abuse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress