When battery is about 56% - in seconds it drops down to 22% - is there a fix?

BobBNJ

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I just purchased a used Pixel 3 (not 3a) from an ebay seller - excellent condition - looks new. But it arrived with a 1% charge.
I charged it to 100% - seemed to be too quick - But the battery drained and shut off after about 15 minutes!
I tried a method to let it go to 0, the charge to 100% twice. Helped a little. Then I did the same 4x total and eventually it did increase the battery life BUT....
With 85% of the time idle, and the rest just checking emails and websites - not videos or gaming, it lasts about 5 hrs.
But it does something strange - do you know if this can be corrected?
Once it gets down to about 56% - in seconds it drops down to 22% - then rather quickly shuts off and has to be charged.
Another time also I think in the 50's I was scrolling a web page and I saw the count down go down to close to the teens in seconds, then it shut off.
Any ideas on how to correct this? Is this just a calibration?
Thank you.
Bob

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased a used Pixel 3 (not 3a) from an ebay seller - excellent condition - looks new. But it arrived with a 1% charge.
I charged it to 100% - seemed to be too quick - But the battery drained and shut off after about 15 minutes!
I tried a method to let it go to 0, the charge to 100% twice. Helped a little. Then I did the same 4x total and eventually it did increase the battery life BUT....
With 85% of the time idle, and the rest just checking emails and websites - not videos or gaming, it lasts about 5 hrs.
But it does something strange - do you know if this can be corrected?
Once it gets down to about 56% - in seconds it drops down to 22% - then rather quickly shuts off and has to be charged.
Another time also I think in the 50's I was scrolling a web page and I saw the count down go down to close to the teens in seconds, then it shut off.
Any ideas on how to correct this? Is this just a calibration?
Thank you.
Bob
Welcome to AC!
Sounds like that battery needs replacing , have you contacted the seller?

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sounds like a failing battery. There's no real battery calibration on a modern phone.

You could try installing Accubattery to check the battery health. If it's <85%, that's pretty much a failing battery.

BobBNJ

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
The seller has a 30 day money back guarantee, but they have no equivalent phones now and everywhere else I have checked has prices
for this 128gb model about 50%-70% more. Seller also has high ratings - hopefully I'll receive some more hopeful replies because I need an Android 12 phone at this price range.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
It does sound like a failing battery. Probably why the phone was cheaper than others. Not sure how much a replacement would cost. I would personally return it unless you are prepared to buy a new battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The seller has a 30 day money back guarantee, but they have no equivalent phones now and everywhere else I have checked has prices
for this 128gb model about 50%-70% more. Seller also has high ratings - hopefully I'll receive some more hopeful replies because I need an Android 12 phone at this price range.

Sorry to tell you, you can't reverse chemical degradation with hope. Everyone else is correct, that battery is dying. It will only get worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali