New Note 5, but a question about Verizon

mcoomer

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been debating whether or not to get a new phone and today I did. I've been crunching the numbers and basically it was cheaper to get a new Note 5, with the new 12GB data plan, than it was to keep using my Droid Maxx on our old plan. My wife has an iPhone 6 and with my Boeing employee discount I'm saving approximately $20 a month, have more data, and unlimited minutes and messages. I don't have a problem with that part of the equation.

The question about Verizon is this. My Droid Maxx had an upgrade date of November 16th but showed that I had an early upgrade available when I checked online. I had been shopping and knew that I was going to have to pay about $60 out of pocket to upgrade to the Note 5 but I didn't want to wait for the new phone to be shipped so I decided to just walk into the store and do it in person. When I got there, I noticed that Verizon has placards on all the S6+ and Note 5's saying that if you buy one and trade in your old working smartphone, you would receive a Verizon gift credit or account credit worth $200. Sweet, right? The girl that I was working with said sorry, since you're upgrading early you have to turn your phone in...for nothing. That was the end of that conversation. I went home and ordered the phone online, setup my new plan, and paid my $60. Done.

Did the girl in the store steer me wrong? I've never been asked to turn in my phone before and wasn't asked to when I placed my online order. Can anyone shed any light on whether I was pwned or not?

Thanks,
Mike

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Read the promotion carefully. There is a promotion that let's you do a device payment plan while on contract but requires you to turn your current phone in.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
For me, i added a line because why not lol, and i got the 200 off by turning in an old smartphone.

If your being allowed to upgrade early, and you use the edge program your going to have to turn a phone in. Thats about the only way to not pay full price upfront, other than adding a line, then you dont have to turn in a phone because it is a new line. However, if the promotion is still going you can get any old working and not cracked smartphone and use it to get the 200 off.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38