I can't decide!

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I stink at making decisions. I have a s6, and am eligible for an upgrade. I have been eyeing the Note 5. Can anyone give me some pros/cons to getting the Note 5 after the s6? I know the s7 cones out soon, but one thing I have noticed with Samsung- the new devices are suckish the first few months. For example, got an s6 on release date and got rid of it after about a month due to lag. After reading about updates and searching the forums here, I noticed in August that the s6 seemed to have solved quite a few bugs. So I got another one and I love it! I am trying to find my perfect device and want to make sure I have researched everything. ☺ any advice would be great!

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Evidently you don't care about an SD card or a replaceable battery, so about all you'd gain of any significance with the Note 5 is the S-Pen (which I love - I use mine all the time). If that's worth it to you, I'd wait until the Note 6 comes out (probably around October), when the price of the Note 5 will drop (maybe even plummet).

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
To add on, I've had no issues at all with the Note 5 since getting it last fall. The Note 5 may provide better battery life than the S6 (depending upon your usage). There are some physical form factor differences to consider as well. SD card and replaceable battery were not a factor in my decision to go from Note 4 to Note 5, although I would have liked a 128GB storage option along with the IR blaster.

Rukbat has good advice about waiting for a price drop on the Note 5, if you can. Later this year once prices drop the Note 5 will still be a great device overall.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I am not gonna recommend Note 5 until S7 is out.

Between S6 and Note 5, Note 5 is better in that it has a larger screen. But thats about it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Evidently you don't care about an SD card or a replaceable battery, so about all you'd gain of any significance with the Note 5 is the S-Pen (which I love - I use mine all the time). If that's worth it to you, I'd wait until the Note 6 comes out (probably around October), when the price of the Note 5 will drop (maybe even plummet).
My note 5 also gets substantially better battery life than my s6,and runs a bit cooler.

usman khushnood

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
The only major differences are the screen size and the s pen. They are the same devices otherwise. Yes Note 5 has a better Ram and is supposed to be faster and battery life lasts longer i just dont think its that much better than s6. Cameras are the same. Software is the same. So unless u want a bigger screen size or the s pen. U dont really need to upgrade ur s6.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
And I got an email from Verizon just this afternoon that gives me $100 off any phone I upgrade to.... What to do, what to do.....

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I *hate* waiting for a new phone, so I feel like slapping myself for saying this; but if you really like your S6, maybe wait until the S7's launch, and then wait for the "launch glitches" to get fixed... And then buy the S7. OR, upgrade to the S7 and bear with it until they patch up the holes, so to speak.

Waiting is tough; and I guess you'd be waiting either way... But who knows, maybe the S7 will be really good out-of-the-box and you won't have as many little bugs this time!

For what it's worth, I am constantly hearing good things about the Note series... One of my closest friends got the Note 5 when it first launched, and I can't recall him having any big issues with it.

Let us know what you decide!

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I stink at making decisions. I have a s6, and am eligible for an upgrade. I have been eyeing the Note 5. Can anyone give me some pros/cons to getting the Note 5 after the s6? I know the s7 cones out soon, but one thing I have noticed with Samsung- the new devices are suckish the first few months. For example, got an s6 on release date and got rid of it after about a month due to lag. After reading about updates and searching the forums here, I noticed in August that the s6 seemed to have solved quite a few bugs. So I got another one and I love it! I am trying to find my perfect device and want to make sure I have researched everything. ☺ any advice would be great!

You may love/hate the size of the phone. You may neglect the S Pen. You will notice a difference in battery life.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I came over to the Note 5 from the S6. I switched because of battery life, is much better on the Note 5. Other benefits are the bigger screen and the S pen which I am using much more than I thought I would.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Note 5!!!! Just had it about 24 hours so I am still getting used to it. I am pretty psyched so far!

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
So, I tried to use the Note 5 as it is intended to be used. I just couldn't keep remembering to keep reminding myself to use the pen. Better battery life than my s6, but not better enough to make me stay. Returning the Note 5 today and sticking with the SSeries. Gonna use my upgrade and get the s7.