Note 5 Root - pros and cons?

J_GOMEZ

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Anyone one here have the Note 5 rooted? What are the pros and cons? If I do root my Note 5 what are some things to do right away?

Posted via the Android Central App

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 5 Rooted

I have been waiting for an answer for this for months. As far as I know there is still no "good" root for the Note 5. First, I do not believe anyone has found a way to not throw a software switch called KNOX. I'm sure I'm not using the right terminology but if you break or flip this switch, I don't believe you can ever go back to stock. That is the one thing I really miss about switching from my LG to my Samsung. Super easy Root and Full functionality to a completely closed and stock only firmware. While I would have to assume it's only a matter of time before someone figures it out, I'm actually surprised it's taken this long. If anyone knows otherwise, by all means please let us know.

Chillz19

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site

Root for the Galaxy Note 5 has been available for a long time. Probably since October. The only models you can't root are the N920v and N920a. Those phones will never see custom development because thats how At&t and Verizon wants them. Every other model has root and custom rom support. I had an At&t Note 4 for an entire year and we never got root.

Now to answer your question, IMO root is an absolutely necessity. Knox is tripped when rooting, but you can always go back to stock at anytime. But with these new galaxy devices and all of their features and specs, it's kinda like it's for those of us who want complete control of the entire system. Out of the box, they have unnecessary uninstallable bloatware, memory management issues, and many things that slow down the entire phone after a while.

Here's the few disadvantages of root
-if not done correctly, you can theoretically brake your phone
-If a custom rom starts acting up, you have to install another rom or go back to stock
-you don't get carrier updates over the air
-you lose samsung pay

Here are the benefits of root and why many people can't live without it
-You can backup all apps to your Local, MicroSD, or cloud storage
-You can overclock and underclock your CPU, Performing tasks faster or saving major battery life
-You can install custom Audio engines such as Dolby Atmos, Beats, and ViPER4Android
-You can use ANY app in Multiwindow
-You can have custom boot animations, touch sounds, clocks, and fonts, etc
-Unlimited hotspot access
-You can uninstall anything you want

I have aT-Mobile Note 5 running a custom rom called Tekxodus. It has the edge features from the edge plus and a ton of features that make stock look silly to me. If you can root yours, I say do it.

jnew619

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

Root for the Galaxy Note 5 has been available for a long time. Probably since October. The only models you can't root are the N920v and N920a. Those phones will never see custom development because thats how At&t and Verizon wants them. Every other model has root and custom rom support. I had an At&t Note 4 for an entire year and we never got root.

Now to answer your question, IMO root is an absolutely necessity. Knox is tripped when rooting, but you can always go back to stock at anytime. But with these new galaxy devices and all of their features and specs, it's kinda like it's for those of us who want complete control of the entire system. Out of the box, they have unnecessary uninstallable bloatware, memory management issues, and many things that slow down the entire phone after a while.

Here's the few disadvantages of root
-if not done correctly, you can theoretically brake your phone
-If a custom rom starts acting up, you have to install another rom or go back to stock
-you don't get carrier updates over the air
-you lose samsung pay

Here are the benefits of root and why many people can't live without it
-You can backup all apps to your Local, MicroSD, or cloud storage
-You can overclock and underclock your CPU, Performing tasks faster or saving major battery life
-You can install custom Audio engines such as Dolby Atmos, Beats, and ViPER4Android
-You can use ANY app in Multiwindow
-You can have custom boot animations, touch sounds, clocks, and fonts, etc
-Unlimited hotspot access
-You can uninstall anything you want

I have aT-Mobile Note 5 running a custom rom called Tekxodus. It has the edge features from the edge plus and a ton of features that make stock look silly to me. If you can root yours, I say do it.
Well how do you root the t-mobile note 5 I would like to look into it

Mike_786

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site

Well how do you root the t-mobile note 5 I would like to look into it

Check this link out: Samsung Galaxy Note5

I had the Note 5 International version which doesn't come with Samsung Pay so it wasn't a hard decision for me but if you use Samsung Pay a lot I would think about it more because you loose that feature. Another benefit is that on my rooted Note 5 I have xposed which is kinda like cydia for the iPhone. With that you can keep the stock touchwiz but have add ons like:

Youtube Adway: to remove the 30 second ads before a video plays
Snappref: for snapchat to take screen shots without the other person knowing
SpotifySkip: to have unlimited skips and select any song you want on spotify for free

Thats just a few of them.

Last edited:

Willyman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

I rooted my Note 5 as I read several people stating the performance was improved by using an alternative Kernel. And so it did... I've been using the Gundal kernel on my SM-N9200 and the scrolling lag which plagues the Note 5 is all but gone. XDA is the place to find this kind of information, not this forum.

Some people have already pointed out the risks/disadvantages but it's worth mentioning again.
  • Things can go wrong... Most likely there are ways out of it. Make sure you read up properly before doing anything and make sure you have a well written step-by-step guide on hand before attempting anything
  • KNOX is killed... but I don't really have use for it.
  • Samsung pay is killed... but it's not available everywhere anyway
  • No OTA updates... but that's not a big issue. Just download the firmware from sammobile and flash with Odin. Takes less then 5 minutes

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Will Android Pay option also be lost if rooted? How will Marshmallow change things for root/ROM?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Will Android Pay option also be lost if rooted? How will Marshmallow change things for root/ROM?

Android Pay is lost as well. None of my cards work with it so I don't mind losing it while rooted.

I don't know what will happen with MM but I'm sure there will be a root for it. When Lollipop was released for the T-Mobile Note 4, the root was out almost right away at least that I remember.

Also, once rooted, stay away from any security warnings from within the Lockscreen and Security section of settings, especially, device security. If you try changing something in there when using the custom kernel, you can make the phone unusable unless you know how to fix it. Under Device Security, it will say there is a threat found and a button below that says Restart. It will restart and go into a boot loop.

I tried many things to try and fix the boot loop but nothing would work. Finally I simply applied the custom kernel once again in Odin and that fixed my phone.

Screenshot_2016-02-17-06-19-36.jpg

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

That's good to know. Since I've been with Verizon some time now, root/ROM stopped for me with the Galaxy S3 and Note 2. I wasn't interested in the Note 3 root/ROM method, and was also worried about the validity of some of the root options - meaning my own security.

I think TouchWiz has gotten better over time with each release, and as long as I can disable most of the bloatware or uninstall them; I'm OK without root/ROM. For me, the Note 5 in particular is super fast, smooth, fluid, and has no lag. I also use Android Pay, so don't want to loose that even if I were on a different carrier.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

I rooted my Note 5 as I read several people stating the performance was improved by using an alternative Kernel. And so it did... I've been using the Gundal kernel on my SM-N9200 and the scrolling lag which plagues the Note 5 is all but gone. XDA is the place to find this kind of information, not this forum.

Some people have already pointed out the risks/disadvantages but it's worth mentioning again.
  • Things can go wrong... Most likely there are ways out of it. Make sure you read up properly before doing anything and make sure you have a well written step-by-step guide on hand before attempting anything
  • KNOX is killed... but I don't really have use for it.
  • Samsung pay is killed... but it's not available everywhere anyway
  • No OTA updates... but that's not a big issue. Just download the firmware from sammobile and flash with Odin. Takes less then 5 minutes
I'm not rooted and I do not get lag at all.

henderjr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted and using MOAR Nougat ROM for Sprint Note 5 that fixes any Samsung issues with root (removed Knox for instance). It's also rooted using Magisk which has a feature called Magisk Hide which allows Android Pay to work (and other apps that use the SafetyNet check). For me the only loss is Samsung Pay. I liked it and used it a dozen times or more but being able to do what I want with my device including running a built in ad blocker (blocks ads in all aps), remove bootup sound, center my clock on status bar, and others is worth it.

Eric Kaiser57

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm rooted and using MOAR Nougat ROM for Sprint Note 5 that fixes any Samsung issues with root (removed Knox for instance). It's also rooted using Magisk which has a feature called Magisk Hide which allows Android Pay to work (and other apps that use the SafetyNet check). For me the only loss is Samsung Pay. I liked it and used it a dozen times or more but being able to do what I want with my device including running a built in ad blocker (blocks ads in all aps), remove bootup sound, center my clock on status bar, and others is worth it.

I've been looking for essentially this answer for weeks now.

With a few months since you posted it, do you still feel that all you lost was Samsung Pay? As long as I keep my Android Pay, I'm OK with losing Samsung Pay.

Thanks!