Note 5 - no pop up text message notifications?

madamo4117

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
When the phone screen is dark, in lock mode, and a message in, I only get a sound notification, but not a pop up. I have gone into settings and everything is turned on, but still no pop up. I don't want to download an app to give me a notification, unless this is the only way. I could swear my other Samsung's popped up text messages. Any thoughts on what to do? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved from the Note forum to the Note5 forum.

Go to Settings>Sound & Notification>Ringtones and Sounds>Messages Notifications, and see if there's an option to light up the screen when a message arrives.

Most phones don't have an option for the screen to wake up with notifications. If you can't find that option anywhere, then you could install a 3rd party app like DynamicNotifications.

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
If you are on Verizon, message+ has this option in the apps settings. I would think other messaging apps also do but I haven't tried any other ones

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I may have misunderstood, not sure message+ actually turns on the screen, but you can read and respond to a message from the lock screen

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Finally got a text while screen was off and I can confirm message+ will turn on screen and show text when one comes in if turned on in settings

TTQ225

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I believe Textra will, too. Alas, I do wish Samsung gave us this option (of screen wake), for emails, too...

You are right, Textra does it. It wakes up the phone, shows the pop-up message and my BlueMail app does the same. I love these two apps.

Posted on shiny naked titanium silver Note 5