Can't update Kindle app on Note 5 running Marshmallow

Charles Lee8

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I downloaded the new Marshmallow update for my Note 5 (Verizon) like a week ago.
Kindle has a new 4.21 update and for some reason, every time I tried updating to the new version..I would get a error message saying "Amazon Kindle" can't be installed. Try again, and if the problem continues, get help troubleshooting. (Error code: -505). I tried all the trouble shooting that they suggested and even did a factory reset on the phone...I would still end up with the same error msg. I know it's not my phone because I even did a factory reset on it. Is this a Kindle bug with the new Marshmallow update? Anybody else experiencing this issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I downloaded the new Marshmallow update for my Note 5 (Verizon) like a week ago.
Kindle has a new 4.21 update and for some reason, every time I tried updating to the new version..I would get a error message saying "Amazon Kindle" can't be installed. Try again, and if the problem continues, get help troubleshooting. (Error code: -505). I tried all the trouble shooting that they suggested and even did a factory reset on the phone...I would still end up with the same error msg. I know it's not my phone because I even did a factory reset on it. Is this a Kindle bug with the new Marshmallow update? Anybody else experiencing this issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

Which kindle app? I just updated kindle for Samsung through galaxy apps, worked fine. Haven't checked the other one yet

homestead

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem for the first couple of days with both Amazon Kindle & Music after the MM upgrade with factory reset. I disabled and reactivated each in the application manager. The next Play Store updates to both apps then worked without any problems. I believe that the deactivations removed all previous app updates. In any case, I now have current versions of both.

jmj227

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with Amazon Music and Kindle since upgrade to MM. I've done a full factory reset and the issue persists. I disabled the apps, then enabled them and they still won't accept the update.

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Amazon Kindle

Hopefully you get this figured out. When you do, just thought I'd let you know in case you don't already but the Kindle for Samsung offers a different selection of free books every month than the regular one does. So you can get two free books a month by using both

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem with the Kindle app. I then tried opening it and signing in. After running it one time, it updated fine.

BigRedGonzo

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had this happen before. I fixed it by going into the application manager, find the app in question (Kindle in your case), then Clear Cache, Clear Data, then retry the update. If that doesn't work, then repeat the process, but instead of updating, uninstall the app altogether, then reinstall it fresh.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with Amazon Shopping - all my other apps update fine. A quick Google search shows this is a pretty common thing with Amazon, they blame Google but then a few days later a push comes through that fixes it.

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Everyone experiencing issues with Amazon apps needs to try updating the Audible app first, the others will update thereafter. If you are like me and disabled it, re-enable, update, update other Amazon apps, then disable Audible again. Fixed my problems, hopefully it'll solve yours too! :cool:

Last edited:

MP_X86

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Everyone experiencing issues with Amazon apps needs to try updating the Audible app first, the others will update thereafter. If you are like me and disabled it, re-enable, update, update other Amazon apps, then disable Audible again. Fixed my problems, hopefully it'll solve yours too! :cool:

This worked for me! Very strange...but thanks!

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with Amazon Music and Kindle since upgrade to MM. I've done a full factory reset and the issue persists. I disabled the apps, then enabled them and they still won't accept the update.

To get the update to take for Amazon Music you must have Audiobooks from Audible installed and updated first. Then Amazon Music will update and work.
With Audiobooks from Audible installed I also had no issues updating the Samsung pre-installed Kindle Reader and it works fine.
I learned of this from here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/652738-solution-amazon-apps-505-error.html

Nita8

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks pteezay! I've had this problem for weeks now, and it never occurred to me that Kindle would be held up by Audible. I had disabled it like I do most of the programs I have no use for. I download all my audiobooks from the library. I don't pay for them...

Much appreciated!

Astralglide

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
This worked like a charm. Make sure you update Audible first like the OP Said