Does the Note 5 provide power through the headphone jack?

raylock

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Does the Note 5 provide power through the headphone jack? In other words, will it work with devices which require power but plug into the headphone jack but not the mini usb?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, the headphone jack does not provide power. What kind of device do you have that draws power from the headphone jack?

raylock

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Well, FWIW, the answer appears to be that the headphone jack of the Note 5 does provide some power. I received a Safe heart iOximeter today. I plugged it into the headphone jack and it works. I understand from the website safeheartus.com that this device may not work with some android phones (not a problem with iPhones) because they do not all provide sufficient power through the headphone jack. On reflection, it would seem that the headphone jack would have to provide at least the minimal power required for headphones or speakers. Sorry my question was not very clear, as I assume the power provided is inconsequential compared to the power available through the mini USB

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I see. When I was researching the question, I did see a few posts about how the jack provides a very small amount of power (which makes sense, since as you mention, it does require a little bit to actually generate the sound in headphones). But it doesn't seem to be enough power to support most other kinds of accessories.