Note 5 - Screen Distortion + hissing/cracking/popping when camera activates

mongler

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
When I turn on my camera, either through a double tap of the home button or by manually launching the camera app, and physically tap the top half of my phone with my finger, the screen briefly distorts (goes from displaying the clear/expected image of whatever the phone is pointed at, to showing a dynamic blurred image kind of like what happens when you "degauss" an old CRT monitor... if you even know what that means, lol) and the earpiece speaker produces a hissing/cracking/popping noise.

This behavior lasts about 1-2 seconds and then goes away.

I can subsequently take pictures.

I can, however, repeat that same process and get the same effect (although the duration is not always the same).

It does not affect the performance of the device. there are no issues with the sound quality of the ear piece speaker. There are no issues with video playback, image quality, etc.

Its a completely random characteristic.

I have tried testing it in safe mode and it still produces the exact same behavior.

It should be said:

1) The behavior only results from abrupt physical impact to the top half of the phone.

Normally the beset way to evoke the behavior is to tap the phone somewhere on the top half (eg physically tap it with my finger..... like tapping someone on the shoulder), such as near the ear piece, or to the left or right sides of the earpiece, or on the screen half an inch below the earpiece etc. It can also happen when I lay the phone down on a hard surface abruptly. The exact position does not really matter.

2) The duration of the response/behavior is not always the same.

sometimes it will distort/hiss/pop for a full 1-2 seconds. Other times it lasts half a second or so.

3) It ONLY happens while the camera is turned on.

Note 5
ATT
bone stock software

Question?

What the hell is going on with my phone?

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any noises BUT I have had the screen distortion the last week. It happens when I use fingerprint to unlock. The screen gets blurry until it unlocks. WEIRD. Not sure what happened to cause this. Wiping cache partition didn't help either.