Can't Attach Images to E-mail Messages

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
When I go the Gmail app, tap the little paperclip to attach an image to a message I'm writing, all I get is an almost entirely white screen, as in just Images > Camera on top, and then right below that Large files and This week (interestingly, for whatever it's worth, the same thing does NOT happen with the Text app). Furthermore, when I swipe down to refresh the screen, all I get is the little circle turning over and over again. I've also tried tapping the three bars at the top-left of the screen and selecting my SD card, and at first I got the same thing, and then the next time "Can't load content at this moment."

However it happens, the bottom line is that I can't attach images to e-mail messages through this phone, and this is functionality I really need. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you see a 3-line hamburger menu at the upper left? If so, tap that and see what other options you have.

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Well, when I tap the paperclip and then choose "attach file," for some reason it now goes to my SD card screen. If I tap that hamburger menu I get an "open from" menu. The obvious choice there is "Images," but when I select it, it's just a plain white screen. Even if I then tap on the "This week" option, it's still the white screen.

So let's say I tape on the hamburger menu again and this time chose Galax A32 5G as opposed to the SD card, the first thing I see is yet another white screen with "Files on Galaxy A32 5g" written at the top. There are several options at the top, though, such Images and Audio. Of course, I once again select Images and then once again nothing happens.

Wait -- I just tried it one more time and this time another variation! This time, unlike before, below "Files on Galax A32 5G" there are many options starting with Alarms. The one I choose, though, is DCIM. Then there is Camera and Screenshots, I select Camera, and I get a "No items" message. But there are MANY images on this phone, including images I transferred to it from my old phone as well as new images taken since then.

Just to reiterate, NONE of this is an issue when it comes to texts. When I tap on the little picture icon there, a screen with my most recent pictures appears immediately.

Hope all of this information is at least somewhat helpful!

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
B. Diddy, image is attached.

Mustang7757, I was the force stop option, but not one for clearing the app data. I've certainly done that before with my old phone, so they must have reconfigured things with the current version of Android. If you let me know where to clear the app data with the current setup, I'll give it a shot.

Mr Bojangles1, Good thought, and sure enough, access to files and media was NOT selected, so I thought that might be the solution. But even after I changed it, unfortunately the problem persisted.Screenshot_20220722-125833_Files.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Mustang7757, I was the force stop option, but not one for clearing the app data. I've certainly done that before with my old phone, so they must have reconfigured things with the current version of Android. If you let me know where to clear the app data with the current setup, I'll give it a shot.

Mr Bojangles1, Good thought, and sure enough, access to files and media was NOT selected, so I thought that might be the solution. But even after I changed it, unfortunately the problem persisted.View attachment 346810
Clearing app data will reset the app just sign back into it, to do this long press the Gmail app then tap info>storage>clear data then back out one and to force stop which is also needed

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site

Mr Bojangles1, Good thought, and sure enough, access to files and media was NOT selected, so I thought that might be the solution. But even after I changed it, unfortunately the problem persisted.View attachment 346810

What do you see when you click on gallery in open from?

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
What do you see when you click on gallery in open from?

What do I see? The solution to my problem (as in all of my images starting from the most recent), that's what I see.

THANK YOU!!!

Sometimes it's just the littlest things. I don't remember having to do that with my old (Moto G) phone and its version of Android -- it's not like I've never attached images to an e-mail message before -- so it must have been a tweak that made. But it was clearly enough to throw me off here, so I'm glad you were on top of it! Thanks again.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
What do I see? The solution to my problem (as in all of my images starting from the most recent), that's what I see.

THANK YOU!!!

Sometimes it's just the littlest things. I don't remember having to do that with my old (Moto G) phone and its version of Android -- it's not like I've never attached images to an e-mail message before -- so it must have been a tweak that made. But it was clearly enough to throw me off here, so I'm glad you were on top of it! Thanks again.

Awesome! No problem, glad you got it figured out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

THANK YOU!!!

Great you got it going!
Awesome! No problem, glad you got it figured out.
Nice work

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What happens if you select Gallery? Still no images?