Would you get a note 5 today?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am thrilled with the Note5. Can't wait for my 64gig tho. I really need more space and glad Verizon is being great about this whole ordeal. I was at our Cards game this past Monday participating in the National Anthem and halftime with cheerleaders.. Breast cancer game. . Camera on the phone is Awesome. And we had a great time

Attachments

• 4742.jpg
    4742.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 43

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I am thrilled with the Note5. Can't wait for my 64gig tho. I really need more space and glad Verizon is being great about this whole ordeal. I was at our Cards game this past Monday participating in the National Anthem and halftime with cheerleaders.. Breast cancer game. . Camera on the phone is Awesome. And we had a great time

Look at the Video on the note 5.

Its 4K video
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 specs

And it works on a Charging pad.
The note 4 don't.

LotsaJoy56

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I had a Note 7 and when faced with having to return it, because I'm a "Note" person, I purchased a Note 5... just received it today. Had Note 4 prior to trying to upgrade to the Note 7 and loved it; had passed on the Note 4's to the granddaughters, so my husband and I were stuck. We also have Note tablets -- needed to have that S pen b/c we are so used to it!! I think we'll be fine with the Note 5, though it was a challenge trying to find one since my carrier doesn't have them any more.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm at Best Buy right now returning the Note 5. It is a good phone and did nothing wrong but I'm not married to the S-Pen and there are other, more contemporary, devices out there.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm at Best Buy right now returning the Note 5. It is a good phone and did nothing wrong but I'm not married to the S-Pen and there are other, more contemporary, devices out there.
You're returning the Note 5 - what are you getting in place of it

hofo_mofo

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea, and I am going nuts trying to figure this out!!

Precis: I have a perfectly fine Note II but I bought a Note 5

Let me explain

Because of my amazing cell phone plan, I have to buy my devices outright (no-term). I'm not being sarcastic when I say amazing, even other carrier representatives flip when they hear my plan.

Back in January 2013 I bought myself a Note II. Because of having to pay retail, I bought a Rogers locked device, which came out less than the retail price. I would never buy a cell phone from there now, now that the IMEI blacklist has launched here in Canada.

The no-term price for the Note II was 729.99 (at the time of launch) - I got it at 700
The no-term price for the Note 3 was 799.99 (at the time of launch)
The no-term price for the Note 4 was 749.99 (at launch I believe), but when it was removed from the Rogers website the price had risen to 799.99
The 32 GB Note 5 price at launch was 859.99. A few months later 64 GB variant was released at 899.99. Right now on the Samsung Canada's website you can get the 32 GB Note 5 for 750.00 (not every carrier launched the 64 GB version).
The Note 7 launch price was 1049.99, and you can assume that the price would go up to 1099.99 at some point.

I was going to get the Note 7 when it went back up for sale on Samsung Canada's website because of a trade in promotion, but of course that never happened.

When the Note 7 was discontinued, I debated whether or not I should get a Note 5. Before the discontinuation of the Note 7 I was looking for the Note 4 as it was only removed from the Rogers website in spring. I called a few stores, and no luck, in fact a sales person at the first place I called joked about the Note 5's he had left. One week later, the Note 7 was discontinued. On the 20th I decided to jump, and after calling a few stores I found a 64 GB titanium silver one. The store that had the sales person joke about the number of Note 5's he had in stock, when I asked the salesperson you could hear his co-worker cuss about the number people a day that are calling looking for a Note 5.

My Note II is working perfectly fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I baby my phones and protect them as well as I can. But given that the hardware prices are only increasing, there is no way in holy heck would I be able to afford an outright purchase of a new device.

But why am I drawn to the Note series you ask? Back in 2003 I started my smartphone collection. Long story short my progression is as follows: Nokia 3600 - RIM Blackberry 7280 - PalmOne Treo 600 - RIM Blackberry 7100r - PalmOne Treo 650 - i-Mate K-Jam (returned it though) - Qtek S200 - Sony Ericsson X1i - Sony Ericsoon X1a - HTC HD2 (T9193) - Note II - ...

Both PalmOne devices, the i-Mate, Qtek, and both Sony Ericisson's were touch screen. RESISTIVE touch screen devices, so a stylus was necessary. I mean you could use the devices, especially the Treos, without the stylus but the other devices were Windows Mobile, so not all that touch friendly. The HTC HD2 on the other hand was Windows Mobile's one and only device that had a capacitive touch screen (to rival the now popular iPhone). Not having a stylus, and not being able to jot down notes here and there on the fly was annoying and a real PIA. Enter the Note series and the rest is history.

So now I have a titanium silver Note 5, in one of my clothes drawers, still in the plastic, never turned on, and never plugged in. Loving the fact that it is powered by an Exynos processor, but hating it because it is now made out of glass and not plastic or aluminum.

I have until November 4th to make up my mind else I will not be able to take it back.

I need a drink...make it a triple....

PS lol: The build date of my Note II was 13-DEC-2012, and was activated at the end of January 2013. This Note 5 was built back in April 2016. Is that okay? (In terms of shelf life and degradation; I was trying to find out when Samsung finally halted production of it, but no luck)

Last edited:

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
PS lol: The build date of my Note II was 13-DEC-2012, and was activated at the end of January 2013. This Note 5 was built back in April 2016. Is that okay? (In terms of shelf life and degradation; I was trying to find out when Samsung finally halted production of it, but no luck)

I'm fairly certain that they are still in production or have recently restarted. I bought a new Verizon Note 5 last week with a build date of 27 September 2016.

bmitchell1876

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Groupon currently has refurbished note 5 on fake for $399 but it says GSM... Does that mean it will not work on my Verizon 4Glte provider?

I've had luck with refurbished electronics and I'm tired of waiting on my Verizon n5 that i ordered...

Can someone look at the Groupon site and tell me if it will work fort me on Verizon? Thank you sooooo much guys!

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Smartphone; GSM Unlocked (Refurbished)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...msung-galaxy-note-5-smartphone&token=w0p1z4Qo

Jeeeez what s ridiculously long link! Haha

Last edited:

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Title kinda says it all. I wanted a note 7 but given what's going on I am looking at getting a note 5 for half the cost. Those of you with a note 5 does yours still work great and would you recommend?
Of course!!! I had to exchange my beautiful Note7 for a new Note5 again (it was my previous phone with 64gb) the new Note5 is only 32gb but I'll take that over any other phone right now, I love the Spen.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Groupon currently has refurbished note 5 on fake for $399 but it says GSM... Does that mean it will not work on my Verizon 4Glte provider?

I've had luck with refurbished electronics and I'm tired of waiting on my Verizon n5 that i ordered...

Can someone look at the Groupon site and tell me if it will work fort me on Verizon? Thank you sooooo much guys!

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Smartphone; GSM Unlocked (Refurbished)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...msung-galaxy-note-5-smartphone&token=S6idxrFN

Jeeeez what s ridiculously long link! Haha

If it says GSM, don't expect the phone to work on Verizon's system. You might be able to make it "sort of" work sometimes, but not reliably. It'll be a lot of effort to make it even partially work. I'd keep looking for a Verizon model.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Fascinating, if not a little baffling, to see Note 5 owners who opted for the Note 7 opting out of Samsung entirely and going for phones without any stylus.

Was the Note 7 that superior to Note 5? I don't think so.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
My note 5 is finally set up and I'm done with this mess! I wrote somewhere, I don't remember what thread. I thought it was this one but I don't see it. I'm shocked at how FAST and smooth the N5 is. I really didn't expected that . I had my N4 before the 7. I'm very happy with the 5. I found mine by calling my carriers sales department. I didn't shop online. He was immediately able to see what was in Stock and sent my note overnight. This whole thing was a nightmare. It became painfully clear how very much technology has taken over or lives.. I was crippled without my NOTE!
The note 5 is one of the best phones still to this date. If you don't mind the missing sd card or removable battery, then it's a win.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I have been lectured on here several times that I cannot sufficiently appreciate the innate superiority of the Note 7 over the 5. That's fine.

I do envy the waterproofing of the Note 7.

My Note 5 doesn't lag, the S pen and associated software works flawlessly and I thoroughly enjoy the way the profile of the phone fits in my hand.

I'm apparently a fool for not seeing the wisdom of ditching the N5 and spending +$800 to purchase a non Samsung phone absent a stylus.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Looks like there's A LOT of price gouging these days with the Note 5 and 64GB especially. This is ludicrous. Don't know if it's coming from the carriers or SAMSUNG themselves.

I paid $792.00 last October for a 64GB... and received $500.00 credit from Verizon for giving up my UDP, Unlimited Plan that I had for many years.

To see the prices being charged now, it's pure greed by the forces at large.

I gave up going to the Verizon retail stores. The sales reps were under trained and invariably wrong when citing company policy. I go to Best Buy now to service my account. Not a perfect solution but I couldn't handle dealing with Verizon employees on top of their greedy company policies.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have been lectured on here several times that I cannot sufficiently appreciate the innate superiority of the Note 7 over the 5. That's fine.

I do envy the waterproofing of the Note 7.

My Note 5 doesn't lag, the S pen and associated software works flawlessly and I thoroughly enjoy the way the profile of the phone fits in my hand.

I'm apparently a fool for not seeing the wisdom of ditching the N5 and spending +$800 to purchase a non Samsung phone absent a stylus.

Not a fool. The note 5 was one of the smoothest operating phones I've had... I've owned 3 Note 5's.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I chose the N5 when I returned the N7. I had upgraded from the N4. I am using the 32gig and patiently waiting for my 64gig from Verizon. It won't be here until December 21st and was ordered on Oct 20th. I could be surprised and might receive sooner. But that's the date slated by Samsung. On a good note, Verizon isn't charging me for using the 32gig. I can't complain with how Verizon has taken care of me with the Note7 recall. I really have to say I LOVE the N5. Can't diss it being out a yr. It's an amazing device in its own right. Just wish it was Sec 21st for my blue sapphire beauty to be here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty