Smartswitch Question

rjr1049

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I am doing a warranty replacement of a Verizon Note 5 and I have searched and not found an answer to this question about Smartswitch. I have done backups with it and plan to restore a backup to the new phone but I want to know if the backup contains login ids and passwords. Tech support at Verizon did not know. I would be grateful if anyone here knows the answer. Thanks in advance for the help.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I am doing a warranty replacement of a Verizon Note 5 and I have searched and not found an answer to this question about Smartswitch. I have done backups with it and plan to restore a backup to the new phone but I want to know if the backup contains login ids and passwords. Tech support at Verizon did not know. I would be grateful if anyone here knows the answer. Thanks in advance for the help.

For some apps it does keep the passwords. Heck, it even keeps you logged in! I thought that was cool. But, for other apps not so much. I really don't know how to determine which passwords it'll take. But I've done a transfer from a Galaxy J3 Emerge to my Galaxy S6 & it kept most of my apps logged in. Facebook, Instagram, Kik, Android Central, etc. I only had to enter my password for things like Netflix & Snapchat. Also, there is an option for Google to save your passwords. But I'd recommend writing your passwords & emails down just to be safe before you switch.

rjr1049

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Well I can answer my own question. Verizon tech support replaced my phone (the new phone has MUCH better battery performance compared to the old one) and I used Smartswitch to back up the old phone just before I did a factory reset. Some information was restored that is predictable (contacts, photos, music, apps) and some other stuff was retained so I did not need to put them in again (for example Tasker profiles). But many others appear to require inputting login ids and passwords. So Smartswitch helps but changing phones is still a pain in the you know what. It appears that what needs to be input again depends up how the app is designed I would guess.