Speck candy shell grip

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
The pure gear one does, but it doesn't fit the edges properly so lint/dust accumulates. But I'm returning the case because of lack of protection on the s-pen corner.

jdtruong

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I emailed Speck about the speaker holes being covered and this was their reply:

We are well aware that the design of the case covers the speaker port.
This design was intentional to add extra protection to the device and make the case more robust and durable.

In order to not lose any sound quality with this design, we’ve added a cutout inside the case which is our speaker re-direct feature. Essentially, it’s a cavity cutout inside the case, that redirects the sound from the speaker that is being covered, to outside of the case, towards the user.

Please know that we are a member of the Samsung’s SMAPP program. Samsung inspects and fit tests all of our cases to ensure that our cases work perfectly with the device and no features of the device our hindered by our cases. As Samsung does with all of our cases, Samsung approved this case and recognizes that our case doesn’t impede the sound coming out of the speaker.

erik | senior customer service
(*) SPECK | Designed for Impact™
177 Bovet Rd. Suite 200 | San Mateo 94402 CA
Protective Cases for iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Samsung | Speck Products

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Speck Candyshell Grip Case looks great and has great grip but provides nearly no protection for the S-pen corner. I tried tapping that corner on the desk lightly and I can hear it hit the metal casing on the phone

uploadfromtaptalk1472015810794.jpguploadfromtaptalk1472015818544.jpguploadfromtaptalk1472015824863.jpg

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I emailed Speck about the speaker holes being covered and this was their reply:

We are well aware that the design of the case covers the speaker port.
This design was intentional to add extra protection to the device and make the case more robust and durable.

In order to not lose any sound quality with this design, we’ve added a cutout inside the case which is our speaker re-direct feature. Essentially, it’s a cavity cutout inside the case, that redirects the sound from the speaker that is being covered, to outside of the case, towards the user.

Please know that we are a member of the Samsung’s SMAPP program. Samsung inspects and fit tests all of our cases to ensure that our cases work perfectly with the device and no features of the device our hindered by our cases. As Samsung does with all of our cases, Samsung approved this case and recognizes that our case doesn’t impede the sound coming out of the speaker.

erik | senior customer service
(*) SPECK | Designed for Impact™
177 Bovet Rd. Suite 200 | San Mateo 94402 CA
Protective Cases for iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Samsung | Speck Products
That's exactly the reply I got. I then responsed with concerns about the s-pen corner and they were very rude back.

Ended up returning both cases I bought from them.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
does anyone have the speck candyshell clear? I'm wondering if that case is any better than the spigen or ringke clear cases.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
does anyone have the speck candyshell clear? I'm wondering if that case is any better than the spigen or ringke clear cases.
No- I saw a review on YouTube and it had the same issues. I ended up going with the clear/satin silver neo hybrid from Spigen. A smidge worried about drop protection, but it's allegedly military grade and at least now my speaker works and my s-pen corner is protected

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the black/black grip case and I love it, but I've seen the posts about the poorly protected S-Pen corner so now it's got me worried. I ordered a bunch of cases off Amazon to compare, but so far I still like the Speck the best. If you are interested in the clear Speck, but want more corner protection, the Spigen Crystal Shell is a solid choice. It's $25 on Amazon which is cheaper than the Speck. It's currently my #2 choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress