Am switching to Android and have a few questions

TywinnLannister

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm thinking to switch to Note 7 from iPhone and have a few quick questions.
The thing that I dislike about my iPhone is that the hardware becomes so outdated very fast. Not even a year since I owned it that I started to experience lag when browsing, and it just gets worse from there. Right now, opening an email takes a little time, and more often than not I have to wait before I can start scrolling my email. But it's been like this for every iPhone devices I own.

I know hardware at some point will become obsolete, but I'd expect it would last for at least 2 years before everything becomes so slow.

For those of you Note users or Edge, how do you like your phone a year after you own it? How is it aging?

Also I keep hearing about the bloats Samsung installed, how hard is it to remove these useless apps? And can you do a clean install? Sorry if all these questions don't make sense. I'm new to Android.

Thank you

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

The thing that I dislike about my iPhone is that the hardware becomes so outdated very fast. Not even a year since I owned it that I started to experience lag when browsing, and it just gets worse from there. Right now, opening an email takes a little time, and more often than not I have to wait before I can start scrolling my email. But it's been like this for every iPhone devices I own.

I know hardware at some point will become obsolete, but I'd expect it would last for at least 2 years before everything becomes so slow.

For those of you Note users or Edge, how do you like your phone a year after you own it? How is it aging?

Also I keep hearing about the bloats Samsung installed, how hard is it to remove these useless apps? And can you do a clean install? Sorry if all these questions don't make sense. I'm new to Android.

Thank you

I change my phones very often, but I recycle most of my past Samsungs to my family and none of them are laggy, in fact every time I have a chance I ask for the phone and just test it and everything is still like the day I give it to them.

BUT, this is my trick, Samsung has a feature on Settings that it schedule a restart once a week, so just turn that on and set it for like Sunday at 3:00am and you won't even notice when it does it, but there you'll have a refreshed phone all the time. The other thing I always do, at least once a month is to clear apps cache, this on Settings- Storage.

This are the 2 most basic things I always do to all my Samsung phones and my S6 and Note 5 from last year are running like champions, one is completely effortless for you and the other just take a minute at most.

Last edited:

Damien B

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thank you

I can't speak to the Note or Edge devices (haven't had one), but just wanted to chime in about the iPhone. There are usually a few different things that can trigger issues like that in an iPhone, but most of the time the culprit is device storage space being almost (or completely) full. There can be hardware or actual software issues as well, but from doing work for Apple for a few months that is a lot of the reason that customers start to experience lag with the device. Android is a great platform, but if you're having issues with the iPhone and do want to stay in iOS (it is hard to leave the ecosystem--I've done it) there are things you can try with the iPhone to reduce/eliminate the lag.

Damien B

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
No problem. I don't blame you, it looks great. I wish I had it just for the S-Pen (been using a stylus a lot here lately on my LG Stylo 2). Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

TywinnLannister

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi Damien,

I have a 64gb iphone 6, and have plenty of space left (10+gb). I don't think that's the case for me. It's gotta be something else. I installed Speedafari so that helps alot with the browsing experience. But my email is the one that suffers the most. I tried other email apps to no avail.

Thanks

Damien B

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Ah. I can see that getting old in a hurry. Probably software issue then. It could be an issue with how the device is recognizing the Wi-Fi, or possibly Wi-Fi assist is on. Usually is hard to diagnose without the device or trying things. You could also have some corrupt data in your information on the phone. Sometimes that could cause issues as well, but is more rare.

TywinnLannister

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Damien. That's what so frustrating about it, I consider myself savvy but not savvy enough to diagnose things like you mentioned. I remember I switched from iPhone 4 to Windows Phone, and while at the end the hardware just could not keep up, but it wasn't as frustrating as this experience.

Damien B

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Np. The only reason I know about some things that can trigger an iPhone to react like that is many many customer service calls I've taken in the past. I can say that in my past experience with iPhones, they usually work pretty well for a long time. Of course, this was before iOS 9, so they could have made more changes to the OS that are introducing more problems than are fixed. On the Android side of things, the Note 7 does look good, and I wish I could get it. The iPhone 7 (or whatever they're going to call it) doesn't seem to be much different this year, so now would be as good a time as any to make the plunge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez