A few questions...

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
What is the file path for sounds? Trying to re-add my custom sounds folder so I can assign custom ringtones.

Custom notifications? I can't seem to figure out how to change the notification sound for specific apps to have their sounds.

Edge lighting? Are we still limited to a single color for all notifications, unless you go into the Edge Lighting setting itself and choose the multicolor light? I know they took it away a while back, where individual apps could have their Edge Lighting colors. Is that still available, or is Edge lighting still useless?

What are the differences between the "Messages" app in the Samsung folder, and the "Messages" app in the Google folder? I remember on my AT&T N20U it would show me other Galaxy users and give me advanced messaging. I noticed I don't see this now, on my unlocked device. I would rather not have to get my text messages all through my Google account if I didn't have to.

If I have already installed from a backup file/transfer, is it possible to reinstall individual parts? If I wanted to reinstall all my apps and settings, but leave messages and image files alone, can I do that through smart switch? Or do I have to create individual backup files for those specific areas?

I'm still a bit unfamiliar with One UI 5.1 so I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as well.

TiA!

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Anything you put in the \Notifications and \Ringtones folders will automatically be picked up by their respective sound picker activities.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Another strange thing... some Apps only use the System's Default notification alerts? One in particular, Twitch (at the moment), I can't seem to change the alert sound at all. I haven't been able to locate where to change the sound. Only the delivery method or silent. Anyone know how to change this? This is all I see for Notification options.

Screenshot_20230228_080245_Twitch.jpgScreenshot_20230228_080315_Twitch.jpgScreenshot_20230228_080540_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20230228_080631_Settings.jpg

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Another strange thing... some Apps only use the System's Default notification alerts? One in particular, Twitch (at the moment), I can't seem to change the alert sound at all. I haven't been able to locate where to change the sound. Only the delivery method or silent. Anyone know how to change this? This is all I see for Notification options.

View attachment 351809View attachment 351810View attachment 351811View attachment 351812

Under "App notifications" did you tap "Notification Categories" ?

That's where you are shown s list of different kinds of notifications that an app may have. Could be only one, or could be 15 depending on the app. Tap each one to set what kinds of notifications you want to get. That may be where the sound setting is.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Under "App notifications" did you tap "Notification Categories" ?

That's where you are shown s list of different kinds of notifications that an app may have. Could be only one, or could be 15 depending on the app. Tap each one to set what kinds of notifications you want to get. That may be where the sound setting is.

I think that did it! I didn't realize each category had a sub-menu. I thought it was just the toggle switch

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I think that did it! I didn't realize each category had a sub-menu. I thought it was just the toggle switch

Yeah, that's not always clear. Some items have a toggle but are also a sub-menu that you tap the item name to go to. But sometimes it's only a toggle and tapping only turns the toggle on or off. There's nothing to visually differentiate the two possible uses. You just have tap everything to find out.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Is there any way to get Samsung Messages to have their Advanced Messaging features working/added on an unlocked device? I've tried to search the forums but haven't found a clear answer. I tried adding Carrier Services, rebooted, and don't see it. I like the customization of Samsung messaging, like backgrounds. Not fond of Google Messaging, aside from RCS. I had the Advanced Messaging features on my N20U, but that was an AT&T version.

TiA.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Is there any way to get Samsung Messages to have their Advanced Messaging features working/added on an unlocked device? I've tried to search the forums but haven't found a clear answer. I tried adding Carrier Services, rebooted, and don't see it. I like the customization of Samsung messaging, like backgrounds. Not fond of Google Messaging, aside from RCS. I had the Advanced Messaging features on my N20U, but that was an AT&T version.

TiA.

Back in the S8 days, as long as it was a Canadian device running on Canadian firmware, Samsung Advanced Messaging would work.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

TiA.

No unfortunately
The difference between Google and Samsung RCS is that Google can react to iphone messages with emojis and Samsung RCS can't.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
No unfortunately
The difference between Google and Samsung RCS is that Google can react to iphone messages with emojis and Samsung RCS can't.
That's a shame. I'm actually not even looking for the reactions to messages, but more the read/recieved notifications (and the custom conversation backgrounds).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's a shame. I'm actually not even looking for the reactions to messages, but more the read/recieved notifications (and the custom conversation backgrounds).

There are workarounds but it might be too much like flashing carrier csc or bootloader dont remember but u would have to put them back to stock before trying a software update

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
There are workarounds but it might be too much like flashing carrier csc or bootloader dont remember but u would have to put them back to stock before trying a software update

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's not that big of a deal. Just something nice to have. Doesn't make sense that Samsung would limit this on an unlocked device but make it readily available on the carrier branded devices.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, it's not that big of a deal. Just something nice to have. Doesn't make sense that Samsung would limit this on an unlocked device but make it readily available on the carrier branded devices.

It makes perfect sense. This way it's a reason for you to choose a carrier branded phone. Samsung gets a couple extra bucks and att gets to sell you a plan.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
It makes perfect sense. This way it's a reason for you to choose a carrier branded phone. Samsung gets a couple extra bucks and att gets to sell you a plan.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Personally, that's the lowest item on a list of reasons to go with a carrier-branded device. I still have all the other things I like about Samsung Messages app.