Note 7 - The screen gap is mentioned in the manual (supposed to be there)

Grolley

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I am not the only one who saw this, and you can check it out yourself. I just want to give people a breather. You may have a gap and it is working as intended. Some can fit paper, some can not (yet, or ever), but it is there.

Page 228 clearly states this information below, and if this isn't enough follow the link to the Samsung website to read it yourself.

A small gap appears around the outside of the device case
This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of
parts may occur.
Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...N930_UM_EU_Marshmallow_Eng_Rev.1.0_160817.pdf

Last edited:

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: The gap is supposed to be there. (and some are bigger than others) Relax! :) Not a defect,!

Where, in that link, does it say that?

Edit: It's on page 228 of the manual.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: The gap is supposed to be there. (and some are bigger than others) Relax! :) Not a defect,!

LOL. I looked and even tried to slip the paper in there and couldn't. So not even sure what they are talking about.

Sometimes I wonder if people literally take their phones, hold them up in the light, and start going over every inch of the device with a microscope or massive scientific glasses.

The obsessive compulsive disorder is amazing. Yeah if you get your phone and it's got scratches all over it sure.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

LOL. I looked and even tried to slip the paper in there and couldn't. So not even sure what they are talking about.

Sometimes I wonder if people literally take their phones, hold them up in the light, and start going over every inch of the device with a microscope or massive scientific glasses.

The obsessive compulsive disorder is amazing. Yeah if you get your phone and it's got scratches all over it sure.
I agree. It's amazing the things people come up with. Some of these threads are mind numbing.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Dang, I was still hoping it was a secret pico projector :(

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

A gap in a phone is working as intended? I don't want to live in this reality anymore if this is true.

I've started to see weird random CRUD showing up in my "gap" that is "working as intended" crud that i can't get out no matter how hard i try, now it's visually annoying because when i'm looking at my phone i can see pieces of white stuff inside the "gap"

Last edited by a moderator:

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Was thinking the same, people act as they are stuck with it for life

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I do not see any gap. Pico projector free.

Wish there was a gap though- aka battery cover for replaceable battery.

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

I know right! Lol

Posted via my awesome N4

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site

What's hard to understand is if it is "intended" why are some units gap free, and others can let the sheet of paper slip under the glass? That just doesn't make sense. If these are glued together parts (as I would suspect) is a future point of failure for the casing?

Trust me, I'm far from obsessive - the whole life of people obsessing over "light bleed" makes me want to puke, but this is a physical difference in the build of the same devices...

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I am not the only one who saw this, and you can check it out yourself. I just want to give people a breather. You may have a gap and it is working as intended. Some can fit paper, some can not (yet, or ever), but it is there.

A small gap appears around the outside of the device case
This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of
parts may occur.
Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...N930_UM_EU_Marshmallow_Eng_Rev.1.0_160817.pdf

Thank you for finding this information.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I would argue though, that most of the folks in forums like this have OCD, just to varying degrees. The true mass consumers of this technology are even less impacted and care less. I, and I'm sure most of you, have friends that don't understand or use their devices anywhere near to their capacity. They don't even know what to have OCD about. Sometime I wish I was blisfully unaware.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: Please check your phone for this build quality issue. See picture and details!

With your phone on a white webpage in a dark room, and with the brightness turned up fully....Look directly at the side of the phone above the volume buttons and along the length of the webpage on the screen....Do you see a small gap with light coming through below the black paint on the glass and the metal? See pic.

This is not a reflection due to the curved glass, and it is not a simple build quality issue due to black painted area not going down far enough.

Mine is an actual gap that I can stick a corner of a piece of paper into quite far. It also disappears when I press down on that side of the screen.

My wife got the same phone at the same time, and hers is the same!

Who else has this issue?

[url]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b511/cmilviper/Mobile%20Uploads/20160830_224517_zpsvrrsdn86.jpg[/URL]
For a $1000 device the quality control is very poor.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

What's hard to understand is if it is "intended" why are some units gap free, and others can let the sheet of paper slip under the glass? That just doesn't make sense. If these are glued together parts (as I would suspect) is a future point of failure for the casing?

Trust me, I'm far from obsessive - the whole life of people obsessing over "light bleed" makes me want to puke, but this is a physical difference in the build of the same devices...
Well I honestly think that the gap free owners are just not seeing it even though it's there.

I exchanged mine at the store yesterday (even went for the coral blue this time) and looked at a couple other units they had. Every single Note 7 there had a slight gap.

You can't trust people to report back findings with the same degree of consistency. Some owners might simply not be discerning enough to notice it, while others are too obsessive.

My old Note 7 had a gap but it was so minute that you'd be hard pressed to find it. Yet it was there. If Samsung to the time to mention the gap in the manual, best believe all Notes have one.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Please check your phone for this build quality issue. See picture and details!

Page 228 of user manual
A small gap appears around the outside of the device case •This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of parts may occur. •Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly

So not a defect...it's a feature

I am happy this issue has been resolved.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I am sure those with the iPhone 6/6 Plus 64/128 GB versions are saying the same thing about their screens over at Apple ^_^.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

So it's been determined that the gap is not only intentional, but an expected part of the mfg process. How is that poor quality control? Sounds like, accurate quality control to me.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

People love looking for controversy and clicks.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

The White Knight Defending of this phone is borderline DISTURBING.

A gap in a phone is working as intended? I don't want to live in this reality anymore if this is true.

I've started to see weird random CRUD showing up in my "gap" that is "working as intended" crud that i can't get out no matter how hard i try, now it's visually annoying because when i'm looking at my phone i can see pieces of white stuff inside the "gap"

You can always return it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38