An Update to the Note 7 Forums PSA

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Background Stuff:

As you're all well aware, Samsung has recalled all Note 7's sold due to a safety hazard. Most of the devices have already been returned to Samsung, however in the US alone they are stating that there are still some out in the wild.

Earlier this week Samsung started rolling updates globally to limit the charging capacity of Note 7 devices to 60%. This update also prevents other features from working and many apps have had functionality disabled via the Play Store.

There are reports that in New Zealand and Australia, carriers have begun preventing Note 7 devices from accessing their networks. Rumor has it that those actions may be coming to other markets, however there is no official confirmation of this as of yet.

Samsung, through its corporate offices and retailer partners, is still accepting returns and offering a full refund of all funds paid to date on the Note 7. Information on that can be found here: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 fires, recall and cancellation: Everything you need to know | Android Central

New Stuff

Over the last several days, some members have posted or requested information about how to circumvent the software updates coming to the Note 7 via Samsung and their carrier partners through OTA updates. Due to the safety related nature of such an action, at this point the AC forums are not a place that can support hosting of those methodologies. However, the internet is a huge place and there are going to be people who have figured it out and have those methods posted. I'm sure Reddit has it already.

Please understand that this is not a light decision made nor is it intended to stifle discussion - you are all more than welcome to make any posts that you wish, within the community rules and guidelines and within the context of this notice, so long as such posts are made in a positive and productive manner. I'm not here to tell you to return your device or anything of the sort. But we will ask for each of you to observe this request, in addition to the continued reminder to observe PUPPAH.

We have provided a Note 7 Returns section for those seeking assistance to escape this situation and I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed there.

Finally, with a few notable exceptions, the vast majority of participants in this section have been exceptionally well mannered, especially given the extreme amount of frustration associated with what's going on with Samsung, retailers, the news, the forums, etc. I'd like to say thank you for your patience with us as we try to work through a situation that's never happened as long as I've been here and some of you have seriously stepped up to help keep things reasonable, calm and making it easier for us to handle the egregious issues by reporting those things that derail civil discussion. That is very much appreciated.

At any time if you have questions or concerns about how the forums are running, please feel free to reach out to us at matt.luciano@mobilenations.com or almeuit@mobilenations.com and we're happy to help sort things out in any way we can.

- Aquila

Here's a random picture of my puppy so that you don't feel like you wasted so much time reading this:

iQUroR7lZlix5OT890Xy-ZXgV2k78paz_mZUIt8FjxoSPU2OUi_qTeqUqNlkg4GNTlFYAjeuT5-ZtgKM7OYKMiJeYA3jWw74P-Oze2jO32ULqyxPexRUzqToNOz1b4S_qx4gD0PKYAKoT4XOSq00hZkWaAvUzmb0uybZdiYfrNtIvJMrXqKbqAkoHBge1PjlCDK7PfempBy2syi4BeEFkqbUBvHxjOZVali1iqwbQwx5CFtvi5lXphtX0lCJLPXu-ObGWlbJrysH3x8fkwR6HVe7CUzu2OFqeDHBenZzz54JoEqfzvSF8tTEBORpBxQfRi3x2mr6sV8bDR5V-YFFs88ATIrYGqnThPAdlqsZ9-4YQOS7jz88jkggwpaHOlQdmHeLh-50F1iVxKID0cRT3UlKZ119z7dtkW5g7g6FSAWS7oG8AisNCWKV5-EgSJz4E4hTkILBY_-Zz58ctxgjlEx43o538bcBRwY91xlHg9sUEvVrx0fC-otwPnQfxmaV6MfySEO_BkHOpLS-sraSSUaAS4NAz2dE6-m-CJGI4fNJKYRExewoO-Qtg4kwDQyCKrLET1aWJnVEkj-cBARAg26cXj4kXktMWEjxj-uVggdyXIyrHg=w951-h950-no

valglbgl

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Verizon told me this weekend that they will be disabled at some point. Also said we will be able to purchase a Note 8 at a discount. I'm not holding my breath.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
The idea that AndroidCentral is going to be held legally responsible for people posting instructions to keep using their Note 7's is farfetched.

At this point, I suggest just locking this forum with a sticky FAQ explaining how to return it. I don't even have a Note 7 (I have a OnePlus 3) and just cannot fathom what members of this subforum are going to talk about besides dogs.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
The idea that AndroidCentral is going to be held legally responsible for people posting instructions to keep using their Note 7's is farfetched.

At this point, I suggest just locking this forum with a sticky FAQ explaining how to return it. I don't even have a Note 7 (I have a OnePlus 3) and just cannot fathom what members of this subforum are going to talk about besides dogs.

Some folks still have things to say, questions, etc. It would seem reasonable to keep the Note 7 space open for constructive posting (And puppy pix too)
**The Mods may want to lock this thread so we don't get too far off into the weeds tho.. :)

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali